Author Topic: jaboticaba paulista, myrciaria cauliflora, so pretty!  (Read 2370 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
jaboticaba paulista, myrciaria cauliflora, so pretty!
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
I simply want to share my amazement at this jaboticaba that produces pure reddish leaves a few days before spring, and has never given me problems at direct sun or water from the city (very easy to grow, unlike any other). Now it must be something like 6 years old and I hope it will fructify soon, although I know it could take 3 or 4 years more ... it measures 70cm in height and the thickness of the trunk is 2cm (a little less than 2 inches)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:29:03 AM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
Re: jaboticaba paulista, myrciaria cauliflora, so pretty!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
Beautiful and amazing! I hope she fruits soon!

I sort of gave up on Jaboticaba's - I thought I was in a climate that was too cold and that Jaboticaba's were too sensitive to sunlight and water and soil pH to be worth growing. It turns out that after killing most of them the four survivors I have suddenly picked up and grew literally to three times their size this last year.  I now think that they are delicate in the first two to three years and afterwards they are a beautiful and very rewarding plant.
I only have four left though  ::)

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »
Beautiful and amazing! I hope she fruits soon!

I sort of gave up on Jaboticaba's - I thought I was in a climate that was too cold and that Jaboticaba's were too sensitive to sunlight and water and soil pH to be worth growing. It turns out that after killing most of them the four survivors I have suddenly picked up and grew literally to three times their size this last year.  I now think that they are delicate in the first two to three years and afterwards they are a beautiful and very rewarding plant.
I only have four left though  ::)

Solko: YOU SHOULD GROW AS MUCH Jaboticabas AS YOU COULD!

For instance, I planted 8 below another trees at my garden and all of them are doing great!, I bought 5 years old jaboticabas to do that. You could find a good source of mature jabos at Europe, bought and plant them, dont just wait for seeds (I will send you any seeds, but you will have to waiste a lot of lifetime waiting), grow mature jaboticabas and be happy ;-)

And you are right: after 2 or 3 years they begin to behave fine and they are very difficult to kill!

At my garden temps can go below 2ºC, but I planted 2 jaboticabas (unknow ID, similar to sabará, 2 feet tall, 5 years old) in the open fields of some friends (near big trees) and they survived to -5º C just fine.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:30:57 AM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »
a better photo

ONLINE SHOP:

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »
Beautiful tree!

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 12:08:29 AM »
I agree Xshen... I was thinking: now, dont tell me that jaboticabas grow slowly! this is giving us new sprouts massively!
ONLINE SHOP:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk