Author Topic: Mango Tree Flushing  (Read 845 times)

HoustonSuperMango

• Houston
    • View Profile
    • http://app.kw.com/KW10MPQN
Mango Tree Flushing
« on: September 12, 2017, 01:40:11 AM »
Hello Y'all,

I'm a newbie when it comes to mango. I have killed many mango tree due to lack of knowledge... So I educated myself. I put my Valencia Pride in the ground in July. I have two flushes so far; one in July and one in September this year so far. All organic; fish emulsion only. I assume I am doing something right!!😁

My question is: how many flushes should I expect each year?? And how to protect my young mango tree from frost?

Thanks Y'all,
Go Navy!

July 27th, 2017

September 5th, 2017

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tree Flushing
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »
Valencia Pride is a vigorous mango tree and you can expect probably 4 flushes or more per year until it starts to fruit. To protect it while its young, you need to build a structure around the tree out of Pipes and plastic material, almost like a greenhouse and find a way to heat it during the winter. When the tree gets larger, it should be more cold tolerant. You may need only to protect the trunk up to one limb in very cold weather like freezing(electric blanket if no chance of precip). I actually cover my young mangoes with a blanket and old C7 or C9 Christmas lights when it might frost. But I'm in Florida 9B. Do a search on cold weather protection for mangoes on this site. Should be lots of info for you. Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk