Author Topic: Tangelo tree pollination  (Read 1498 times)

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
Tangelo tree pollination
« on: September 17, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »
Hey Guys, been a while, but back at it again. I have a tangelo tree that is about to flower here in Canada ans I was wondering if it needs to be cross-pollinated? Google gave me mixed answers. I also have a lime flowering right now, but it will stop really soon. Can the pollen from the lime pollinate my tangelo? Is there also a way to preserve pollen? I'm unsure if they'll be able to have flowers at the same time.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: Tangelo tree pollination
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:17:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure tangelos need cross pollination. My Orlando has flowered heavily for two years now but had no fruit. It's funny because I have several tangerines that flower, and I always thought tangerines would pollinate tangelos. But, they didn't pollinate the Orlando. Luckily by chance a year or so ago I found a Temple orange grafted tree that was old enough to flower. I understand Temple is a good pollinator for tangelos. We'll see because they'll both be flowering soon here.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
If I remember correctly, Satsuma is not a very good pollinator. That's one of the reasons it's fruit has so few seeds.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:46:29 PM »
Thanks Guys, I also happen to have a satsuma, but it's not blooming. Looks like I'm screwed.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »
If you really really want your tree to fruit, here's an idea that works. I doubt up there you have many mature citrus trees from which to choose as pollinators, but if you can find a suitable pollinator tree you can make a "bouquet" of flowers from the tree and place it in your tree. You'll get fruit. I did that with several types of fruit trees when I lived in NC, and it worked very well every year.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
My tangelo didn't need pollination but it might differ per variety, like with white sapote