Author Topic: red jabo seedlings stuck  (Read 2348 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
red jabo seedlings stuck
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
1st batch of seeds no good 2nd batch was from fresh fruit.....they sprouted but seems to be stuck at this stage.....its been 3 months like this.....i water once a week to keep the mix moist and keep it in  shade.  it's in half gallon milk carton.  I gave it a bit of fish/seaweed to try to give it a kick but still nothing.  A total of 5 cartons with 3 seeds in each and every single one of them is doing this

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: red jabo seedlings stuck
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »
Probably too wet. It looks like the new growth just keeps dying back. Maybe let it dry out a bit and place a cover over it to keep humidity up and stop watering until it really needs it. Keep in indirect light.
-Josh

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:42:10 PM »
I tried to grow 3 types this year from seed including red, sabara, and branco vinho.
I kept them on a lanai and they got filtered morning sun. I kept them very moist
and so far so good. I did lose half of my lanai to the hurricane and now they are on
the front porch and getting direct morning sun. In the picture one of the sprouts looks like
it is pushing leaves? I germinated the seeds on the red and sabara and I noticed they
still took over a month to push. I would try a little filtered sunlight or even a couple
morning hours of direct light. It is September already and the sun is less intense.

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
Probably too wet. It looks like the new growth just keeps dying back. Maybe let it dry out a bit and place a cover over it to keep humidity up and stop watering until it really needs it. Keep in indirect light.

that's what I thought too. so I put one out  to dry for about a month. it still doesn't work. I think I have to put them where there is a lil more sun. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:54:05 PM by boxturtle »

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »
I tried to grow 3 types this year from seed including red, sabara, and branco vinho.
I kept them on a lanai and they got filtered morning sun. I kept them very moist
and so far so good. I did lose half of my lanai to the hurricane and now they are on
the front porch and getting direct morning sun. In the picture one of the sprouts looks like
it is pushing leaves? I germinated the seeds on the red and sabara and I noticed they
still took over a month to push. I would try a little filtered sunlight or even a couple
morning hours of direct light. It is September already and the sun is less intense.

that's what I thought but it's been like that for almost 3 months now :/

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 02:01:04 AM »
Ive grown tons of jabo seedlings and i still prefer to have them in a pretty well draining mix that i will water everyday or every other day. They don't seem to like mucky, wet soil-  yes, they love water but they do need to breathe. Some sun exposure is recommended as well.
Chris
-Chris

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »
Ive grown tons of jabo seedlings and i still prefer to have them in a pretty well draining mix that i will water everyday or every other day. They don't seem to like mucky, wet soil-  yes, they love water but they do need to breathe. Some sun exposure is recommended as well.
Chris

kool will try to add some perlite to the mix....I did mostly fine bark, moss, coco coir and rockdust ....mango and cherimoya seedlings loved it but no love from jabo

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
Chris

kool will try to add some perlite to the mix....I did mostly fine bark, moss, coco coir and rockdust ....mango and cherimoya seedlings loved it but no love from jabo

I am wondering what the PH is in that mix.

mango and Cherimoya can handle a bit more alkaline conditions than Jabo
and the rock dust may have raised it a bit, depending on how much you used.
But...
its looks like there is a lot of organic matter, and wet conditions would make it acid
it does look very wet.
maybe keep it moist, but not "wet"

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
Morning sun exposure at least would help (till 11am).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 02:16:57 AM »
I add Espoma acid mix and a dusting of SoAg chelated Iron to my Jab's about 4 times a year...more if I see deficiencies. I do this with new seeds/seedlings as well. Water, iron, acidic (fairly-well draining) soil, and a bit-o-sun is about all they need besides normal fertilization. Once you find a rhythm they are no problem. Chris
-Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk