Author Topic: ID Please  (Read 1810 times)

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
ID Please
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
Does this look like an Artocarpus odoratissimus or an Artocarpus sericicarpus?

How can one differentiate between the 2?

Michael

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: ID Please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
I'm looking out my window at both mature trees side by side. Can't tell the difference. Maybe the only way is to wait for the fruit. BTW, I'm surprised that breadfruit can grow in the St. Pete area. I thought maybe it would be too cold in the winter. It's my favorite tree...so beautiful! My daughter lives there and I would love to help her plant one.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:02:55 PM by Doug »

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »
its Artocarpus sericicarpus, having both with no tags ive learned to see the difference.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
its Artocarpus sericicarpus, having both with no tags ive learned to see the difference.

Thank you; I was hoping for sericicarpus.
Michael

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
I'm looking out my window at both mature trees side by side. Can't tell the difference. Maybe the only way is to wait for the fruit. BTW, I'm surprised that breadfruit can grow in the St. Pete area. I thought maybe it would be too cold in the winter. It's my favorite tree...so beautiful! My daughter lives there and I would love to help her plant one.

Have your trees fruited? I have been keeping it in the garage when temps were in the 40s. Grown from seed and is
now 2 1/2 years old. I'll keep it potted as long as I can.

Did you ever sell your farm?
Michael

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 09:30:26 AM »

Have your trees fruited? I have been keeping it in the garage when temps were in the 40s. Grown from seed and is

[/quote]

Two of my sericicarpus (called castana here) have been fruiting for two years. They are six or seven years old. The other tree is too young. I had a bunch of the "breadnuts" yesterday, boiled and salted. Good stuff! But, I planted the trees primarily to just look at.

Have you seen mature castana planted outside up there in your area? If so, I bet the damn hurricane did a number on their big beautiful leaves.

Yep, sold the farm quickly to some great folks! But, there's plenty other great farm property left here for you and your wife when you decide to escape from hurricane alley. LOL

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 10:33:25 AM »

Two of my sericicarpus (called castana here) have been fruiting for two years. They are six or seven years old. The other tree is too young. I had a bunch of the "breadnuts" yesterday, boiled and salted. Good stuff! But, I planted the trees primarily to just look at.

Have you seen mature castana planted outside up there in your area? If so, I bet the damn hurricane did a number on their big beautiful leaves.

Yep, sold the farm quickly to some great folks! But, there's plenty other great farm property left here for you and your wife when you decide to escape from hurricane alley. LOL
[/quote]

No, I haven't seen any castana in the area. I'm sure they would have been shredded by Irma. The winds from the Northwest after Irma passed tilted my large kent mango tree.

Not surprised and glad to hear the farm sold quickly. I'm still working on my wife and a couple of more hurricanes just might do the trick.

I have some seedlings that are duplicates that I'm disposing of. If you think your daughter might be interested in adding to her collection, PM me for a list.
Michael