Author Topic: feijoa  (Read 2825 times)

Vishnu

• India
    • View Profile
feijoa
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »
Is feijoa is tropical am totally confused about that plz anyone help me?

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: feijoa
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Is feijoa is tropical am totally confused about that plz anyone help me?

I would say no: it is subtropical and it can resist -12º C or so. Some tropical growers reported it doesnt produce fruits in tropical climates.

Vishnu

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:25:10 PM »
Sir u know anywhere it was fruited  in tropical climate?

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »
i am in New Orleans (zone 9)

i got a couple of plants 4 to 5 years ago
3 years ago, i had several flowers in the spring.
last year, i only had a couple.
This year, i had none at all.
This year we had 1 night that hit 27F,
but the rest of the winter was VERY warm.
If it needed chill hours, it didnt get any except that 1 night.

now, it may be rainfall patters why they didnt flower,
we did get a lot of rain in the spring, and they are still pretty young
so,. i am not really sure why they  didnt flower.
Not sure this helps much... LOL, but thought id share.

Vishnu

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:10:28 PM »
Sir I heard that its flowering need just 50chilled hour here Kerala in December we have not rain so I hope it will flower

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »
I know of someone who grows it in Hawaii and it fruits prolifically every year.  But they are at a high enough elevation where they get enough chill hours.  I don't think the temperature gets any lower than the 50s where they are.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:17:32 AM »
hey pahoa joe,  where does your friend live?  i'm over in kona side but up kaloko at 1700 ft elevation  gets to about 55 degrees here at the coldest.   i'm quite interested in growing feijoa.  always wondered if it would work. 
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 02:45:26 AM »
No chance of fruiting at your location in my opinion. Forum members have reported having trouble fruiting in SoCal and other areas that get colder than you . It's a good fruit !! But the grass is always greener because, in Nor Cal it's a landscape hedge that happens to fruit and it's not really picked or appreciated here, much like loquats. There's nothing easier to grow except volunteer plants in your garden. Kind of like that invasive strawberry guava , that because it's unusual to see around here and bears Guava's people choose to purchase and plant it.

hey pahoa joe,  where does your friend live?  i'm over in kona side but up kaloko at 1700 ft elevation  gets to about 55 degrees here at the coldest.   i'm quite interested in growing feijoa.  always wondered if it would work.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 05:42:13 AM »
It is an attractive bush and I have never seen it attacked by disease or insects. Hardy to 10 degrees Fahrenheit or below.
Doesn't seem to be picky about soil type.
The problem is that unless you have access to improved cultivars , the fruit is mediocre and gritty. Has a nice aroma, I suppose it could be blended into fruit drinks and smoothies or maybe processed into jelly, but not really a fruit you want to eat out of hand unless there is nothing better available. I think strawberry guava is better, and that is considered a less than desirable fruit by many people.
Feijoa flowers taste better than the fruit and are a great addition to salads. The flowers and ornamental value alone make it worth growing,even if the fruit disappoint.

Vishnu

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »
I heared that there is two type f feijoa is there one is tropical nd other one is subtropical. The subtropical one's leaf has a speciality it is like as velvet coating.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
Hi,

It depends, I live in tropical climate here in Brazil and I harvest many kilos of feijoa in April, so I think it depends on the variety, we here have selected varieties of feijoa that are adapting well in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Vitoria and even in the semi arid northeast of Brazil are testing, they in the tropical climate, I think they require a little more water to do well.

Today my trees are full of flowers.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

Vishnu

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
Thank u sir  for giving me a fine answer

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 11:35:45 AM »
I live in Central Florida and I have 2 Feijoa, a bush and standard tree. The tree is very pretty and mature 11 years old and a bush that is about 9 or 10 years old. Both bloom every yer for me in the Spring but Only the bush has ever fruited for me in all those years. I've even tried hand pollinating the tree...never set a single fruit  :'( 

Just trimmed it a few days ago...

In full bloom...a couple of years ago

The bush that fruited...

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
Most cultivars and fruit I've tried from many different bushes and trees has been good. Sometime drier , the best have a nice juicy pulp in the middle. A delicious fruit that outclasses the strawberry guava by miles, no crunchy seeds in a Feijoa. Never tasted a gritty one, that is a texture I don't reall get down with either.

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »

She lives in Captain Cook.  Maybe 2000 ft elevation or a little less.  Big fruits too. They are so good.  It was this time last year that I got them, so they should be in season now.  I planted some seeds from the fruit I got from her. I doubt they will fruit in Pahoa, but they are growing well.

King

• Northern California zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »

best free image hosting

I live in the Central valley of California. They grow all over the place here. Although the Nazemetz feijoa in my backyard wouldn't fruit this year. It was probably too hot.  It picked these up in some local suburban bushes.  The big and small fruits come from two separate bushes. I have places and parking lots where these grow as decorative bushes and the fruit is sweet and delicious.

One of the major problems I have with these foraged feijoas is that they give me a sore and mucousy throat after eating them, even after eating just one, my throat feels strange.  It may be because that the fruit sucks up car exhaust pollution.  The ones that give me a sore throat always grow near heavy traffic and parking lots.

They do have a pleasant smell that scents the entire room. So I just have some of them as decorative fruit and as a scent.  Feijoa bushes are sold locally at Lowe's.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:03:44 PM by King »