Author Topic: Some Brazilian Myrtaceae in season and mystery fruit  (Read 3163 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Some Brazilian Myrtaceae in season and mystery fruit
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:33:45 AM »
Pitangatubas are producing well at the moment and my orange E.uniflora (not standard) are also producing. The jaboticabas are a mix of escarlette  and red dwarf hybrid (thanks Oscar).

Now that I have your attention the real reason for this thread is to find out the identity of the fruit below.It was labelled as Campomanesia pubescens but this doesn't seem right.I gave it to my brother and it is a small plant. My Cherries of rio grande got chopped down in my yard as they were too big and unproductive.I figure my climate is too warm for them to bear. My Eugenia cerejas suffered a similar fate in my yard as they grew too big and crowded out other plants without fruiting. It is neither of these.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Some Brazilian Myrtaceae in season and mystery fruit
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 03:48:48 AM »
I probably should have mentioned that my Eugenia pitanga has fruit that will be ripe soon and my pyriformis x lutescens has fruit set also. I am optimistic about their quality as the solitary lutescens fruit I tried was the best Eugenia I have ever eaten and better than candolleana which also has flowers by the way.

Whaile it is not a Myrtaceae and since we are talking Brazil I thought you might like a sticky beak at the Pandora passionfruit which was bred from panama red and no doubt represents the pinnacle of passionfruit improvement and development being supersweet and richly flavoured. Even the misty gem edulis pales next to the finest flavicarpas and this one eclipses panama yellow and even African gold in the quality stakes.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 03:54:03 AM »
E,calycina?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 04:03:11 AM »
Thanks for a go at identifying it.I didn't receive E.calycina unless the seeds were mislabelled and maybe I missed up the tags myself as unlikely as that seems. A goose incident a few years ago where the bird got into the forbidden zone and pulled all the tags out of pots could have been the event that resulted in the present confusion. That goose volunteered for K.P. that year.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 06:05:52 AM »
Eugenia Cereja, Here i have fruits now.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »
Mike how do you rate the escarlate and red vs. the sabara and grimal? How big was the tree? Grafting has been good this year so should be more to go around.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »
Great collection of fruits Mike! The passion fruit sounds delicious!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
I probably should have mentioned that my Eugenia pitanga has fruit that will be ripe soon and my pyriformis x lutescens has fruit set also. I am optimistic about their quality as the solitary lutescens fruit I tried was the best Eugenia I have ever eaten and better than candolleana which also has flowers by the way.

Whaile it is not a Myrtaceae and since we are talking Brazil I thought you might like a sticky beak at the Pandora passionfruit which was bred from panama red and no doubt represents the pinnacle of passionfruit improvement and development being supersweet and richly flavoured. Even the misty gem edulis pales next to the finest flavicarpas and this one eclipses panama yellow and even African gold in the quality stakes.

Great post. Is this true to type or propagated by cuttings?

S t a r l i n g

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:40:58 AM »

That's a hefty Pandora.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 04:51:01 AM »
Heya Starling it has been a while and yes it is a large one alright and better to show the cream of the crop than a brumby.Ethan is has been a while since we chatted also.Ok prickly one the sabara and grimal are really good and that is why they are popular. Grimal are much bigger but not as sweet as sabara.The fruit of escarletter is sweeter than all others and intermediate between sabara and grimal in size and thinner skinned than both. The red hybrid has sabara sized fruit equally as sweet bit a different taste.Escarlette wins a face off on fruit quality in my eyes and the other 3 are close to equivalent but it is subjective. The two dwarfs fruiting at under 3 years old and 3 feet high are more prized in my eyes.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
Beautiful plate of fruit Mike!, thanks for sharing! How long did your pitangatuba's take until they fruited by the way?

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
so beautiful! thanks for the taste report about jaboticabas! :-D I tasted red hybrid and 2 varieties of m. coronata and liked them all, it is probably my favourite species.
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »

Great post. Is this true to type or propagated by cuttings?

?

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 07:19:58 AM »
Hi Mike

the mystery fruit look a lot like my Eugenia calycina... but I saw photos of Eugenia cereja that are similar too... so probably that is one of those two

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:12:33 AM »
I am prett6 sure E.calycina is it.Have a look at the fruit on my pyriformis x lutescens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk