Author Topic: Check out this video on Citrus Greening Solution  (Read 1710 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Check out this video on Citrus Greening Solution
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:05:21 AM »
So I live in South Miami Florida, and between the county cutting down all of our citrus a decade ago due to canker and the newer threat of Citrus Greening, its hard to find healthy citrus trees down here.  But from what I've learned from some friends that still have trees, as well as nurseries in my area that have pretty large, mature, and healthy looking citrus is that if you keep a tree on a CONSISTENT fertilization schedule and spray schedule. The healthier the tree, the more resistant it is to greening.  But if it does contract the disease, I found this video online regarding heating the tree to kill the bacteria....has anyone seen this or have experience with this or any additional information? Yes, I know it seems like a giant task to save a few backyard trees, but its doable, especially with a large accordion style system, almost like a slinky that can be easily erected around a tree.

https://youtu.be/zKkyHIyP8e4

-Jon

JJROSS54

• San Tan Valley, AZ 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Check out this video on Citrus Greening Solution
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:24:57 AM »
I wonder if we may be safe here in southern Arizona with our 115 degree plus summer temperatures that do burn the leaves sometimes.
They never did say how high a temperature they were using, I would be curious to know.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
Johnny, the heat treatment has been known for some time now.  There are companies that have heat trucks with tents that unfold off the back of the truck out over two trees at a time.  Stem is released into the tent  to supply the heat to the trees.  These trucks can treat two trees in about  3-5 minutes, and then it moves down the row to the next trees.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
Johnny, the heat treatment has been known for some time now.  There are companies that have heat trucks with tents that unfold off the back of the truck out over two trees at a time.  Stem is released into the tent  to supply the heat to the trees.  These trucks can treat two trees in about  3-5 minutes, and then it moves down the row to the next trees.

Has this been proven effective on a consistent basis? This is good to know

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
It's probably said in the video, the trees will be okay for some time and then will need to be retreated.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »
Fyliu, your correct the heat treatment does not permanently cure the tree, rather it greatly reduces the disease in the tree temperately. The heat treatment will need to be done again and again.