Author Topic: Mulching for New Orchard - Good or Bad?  (Read 15239 times)

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mulching for New Orchard - Good or Bad?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 11:01:05 PM »
Some sheetrocks have fibers embedded so they last a long time! I hate working with them. No way I put them in my garden.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2018, 02:17:53 AM »
PI, that is such a great picture...perfect time of day and a great backdrop of beautiful trees. Chris
-Chris

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2018, 07:10:43 AM »
After I spread the gypsum board I used the front-end to spread the mulch. As I drove across the tires pulverized it. Under the mulch and pulverized  it gets wet and wouldn't be any problem. Mostly the 5/8" thick Type X firestop drywall contains some fiberglass but I didn't notice it. University of Ohio has some figures on drywall content and there are some micronutrients in it, but generally no concentrations of concern.

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/anr-20

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:51 PM »
Holy cow. How many acres are you on?

Key is to just keep the mulch a few inches away from the trunk.

Mulch can really heat up while stacked high.  Younger trees don't seem to tolerate so well.  I estimate about two more months of mulching before I cut it off.   We have been averaging about 120-160yds per day for a long time.  https://www.facebook.com/Naples-Fruit-Farm-1844962002500352/

We have been mulching 4acres.  Typical trucks are 30-40cyds and we usually get a few trucks every day sometimes more sometimes less.  Haven’t had to push a single load in the wheelbarrow yet.  They use kubota skid steer and articulated loader.  They’ve also been backfilling my irrigation (thank god :)
- Marley

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2018, 09:36:42 PM »
Thats awesome to get all that work done at the same time. All that mulch is really going to pay off in the short and long term. i can't see having too much when you have space to pile it up and wait for soil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk