Author Topic: Grafting Breadfruit  (Read 2091 times)

Aina Exotics

• Hawaii Island (Big Island)
    • View Profile
    • Aina Exotics
Grafting Breadfruit
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »
Hi I am curious about grafting breadfruit. I have a bunch of breadnut rootstock and cant find much info online about methods for graftin breadfruit onto breadnut or anything else for that matter. One abstract speaks of grafting at 45 days from seedling but the scionwood is much larger than the roostock at this stage.  I am wondering if anyone has success in grafting breadfruit and what methods you used (age of rootstock, diameter of scion, poly bag tent, time of year etc). Is it possible to graft these larger scions onto smaller rootstock and just match up one side? Any tips or leads would be most appreciated.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Grafting Breadfruit
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:01:38 PM »
Hi,
I have had success grafting breadfruit onto breadnut.  If you cut some branch ends of your scion material the new growth will come out smaller and will be easier to match for a cleft graft.  The whole thing needs to be enclosed in a plastic bag for at least a month as the scion can easily dry out.
This method has worked for me several times but I am now air-layering breadfruit with at least equal success and, for me, less trouble. 
Peter

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:50:34 PM »
I would go with Peter's advice.  I had gotten some scions a few years back from the Hilo Repository (when they still did such things).  They were way too big to work with.  Even trying to graft them onto a good sized limb on a tree, they were too fat to get a reasonable taper on the scion for the wood to meet up correctly.  I believe I even tried to make the cleft in the scion and make the tapered portion on the rootstock (from a seeded breadfruit) but none of those took.  Peter's course should have a MUCH higher degree of success.

John
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:42:30 PM by HIfarm »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
You might give this cutting method a try. He has some unique and explicit instructions.
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Breadfruit/BreadfruitCuttings7-91.htm

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »
What about a whip graft without the tongue. I used one on a fat Jabo scion and it worked great. I hope to try some more large grafts with it.

-Josh

Aina Exotics

• Hawaii Island (Big Island)
    • View Profile
    • Aina Exotics
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 11:48:54 PM »
Thanks you guys all good tips! What peter said is what i will try for sure.  Makes perfect sense to cause some new growth flushes that are thinner. Iʻm definately gonna try cuttings and airlayers as well but I got a lot of breadnut. Have any of you had success grafting anything else onto breadnut?

trees

• ELLICOTT CITY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »
Finca La Isla, did you cut the leaves off the scion? how long was the scion? I tried several times with no luck. Also is scion green or mature wood?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
Hi, the wood is pretty green or Woody turning to green.  The leaves are cut back to about 3cm or so, at least two cut back leaves.  It’s essential that the whole project, pot or bag fully enclosed in plastic for 5-6 weeks.  The scion should be in a growth fase.
Good luck,
Peter

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 04:24:13 PM »
Good day all,

I have some breadnut plants growing (about 2' tall) but would really like to graft some breadfruit onto them.

I did a search and this thread came up.

Peter, how are those grafted breadfruit trees working out for you?

Any additional learnings or tips anyone can share on grafting breadfruit?

Thanks much!

Regards,
Sam

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 08:26:41 PM »
I cleft grafted breadfruit to breadnut a few weeks ago and it has just pushed new growth. Rootstock was about 1/4 in wide and was about 5 months old.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk