Author Topic: Great seed vendor from Cameroon  (Read 9397 times)

luketrollope

• Australia QLD Julatten 16.4 degrees south 455 meters elevation
    • View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
Great seed vendor from Cameroon
« on: December 20, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »
I have a nursery in Australia

www.helgasnursery.com.au

and am writing to recommended a seed vendor in Cameroon who has supplied me quality seeds including Jungle Sop (Anonidium manni)

His name is Ferdinand email: fermamo2002@yahoo.co.uk

He can supply a lot of hard to get plants from West Africa including:

carambola averrhoa,jackfruit,rubber seeds,theobroma
 cocoa,dracaena arborea,picralima
 nitida,cycas,iboga,thamatoccocus danielli,Voacanga
 Africana,yohimbe,pygeum,coffee,lepidota,annonidium
 manii,Annona muricata,kigelia Africana,irvingia
  gabonensis,Garcinia kola,kola nut,afromomium
 meleguata,moringa,grape seeds,cashew,griffonia ,rauvolfia
 vomitorea,elaeis guineensis,bilimbi,cananga
 odoirsta,mahogany ,camellia sinensis,,crescentia cujete,etc

that is a list he sent me.

Send him a email if you need anything from West Africa.

Thanks

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
Re: Great seed vendor from Cameroon
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
Would you be able to recommend a Fruit tree worthy to have in a small parcel? Thanks
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Vishnu

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »
He has selling only plants? Any seeds?

Potatoman

• Sharon Hill, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 11:08:55 AM »
I used the services of Forest House Cameroon, but with him there is no contact for more than a month. I think it will be a good alternative.
Ashanell

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
He sells seeds not plants and he is a great communicator with quick responses ( too quick this younger generation  and their smart phones!)

Thanks

Potatoman

• Sharon Hill, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 04:17:31 AM »
Today I talked with Ferdinand, and I want to say that this is a waste of time. The seller has no idea of the prices, there is no list of available seeds. He just said- Tell me what interests you and I'll tell you the price. I named several species and he answered-Give me $100 and I'll send you. In my opinion it looks very unprofessional and silly. Be careful with this person. This is my personal opinion, I can not say that I'm right.
Ashanell

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 06:14:20 PM »
I have a nursery in Australia

www.helgasnursery.com.au

and am writing to recommended a seed vendor in Cameroon who has supplied me quality seeds including Jungle Sop (Anonidium manni)

His name is Ferdinand email: fermamo2002@yahoo.co.uk

He can supply a lot of hard to get plants from West Africa including:

carambola averrhoa,jackfruit,rubber seeds,theobroma
 cocoa,dracaena arborea,picralima
 nitida,cycas,iboga,thamatoccocus danielli,Voacanga
 Africana,yohimbe,pygeum,coffee,lepidota,annonidium
 manii,Annona muricata,kigelia Africana,irvingia
  gabonensis,Garcinia kola,kola nut,afromomium
 meleguata,moringa,grape seeds,cashew,griffonia ,rauvolfia
 vomitorea,elaeis guineensis,bilimbi,cananga
 odoirsta,mahogany ,camellia sinensis,,crescentia cujete,etc

that is a list he sent me.

Send him a email if you need anything from West Africa.

Thanks

Did you receive seeds from him? I got a quote on some seeds but pricing wasn't broken down. I may still order but it wasn't cheap.
-Josh

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »
It sounds like he (Ferdinand) is gouging & playing games so why waste time with him?  Wirsiy at ForestHouse generally has good prices & is good to work with -- and he has a much broader selection of seeds (judging from the list above).  (I just got Christmas greetings from Wirsiy so I would say he is still around ...)

John

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
It sounds like he (Ferdinand) is gouging & playing games so why waste time with him?  Wirsiy at ForestHouse generally has good prices & is good to work with -- and he has a much broader selection of seeds (judging from the list above).  (I just got Christmas greetings from Wirsiy so I would say he is still around ...)

John

It's better to contact Wirsiy on facebook. He is often online so communicating there will be very much faster.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »

John

It's better to contact Wirsiy on facebook. He is often online so communicating there will be very much faster.

I didn't realize that was the person from ForestHouse. I emailed them a while back and didn't get any response. I am even friends with Wirsiy on Facebook. I'll shoot him a message on there. Thanks a lot guys.
-Josh

FruitFly

• USA, CA, Sunset Zone17, USDA Zone10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 03:21:09 AM »
What's foresthouse? How do we find wirstiy? Last name?

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »
I think the issue maybe a cultural misunderstanding when it comes to dealing with some different cultures and that a lot of people do not understand their routine or practices.

It is quite common practice, but to some may come across as silly or dodgy that when ordering things like seeds that you are just given an upfront figure for the product and the job and the need to give an individual price per seed just doesn't happen. I am using seeds as an example.

If you were to contact some individuals in some countries for the most fabulous tasting fruit discovery of the century and you wanted seeds from that endemic species from that certain country then they will most likely give you a set figure to collect, NOT a per seed price as many of us are used to.  They will take into consideration many things, and some countries like Tanzania will quite easily quote $300 to $400 just to get the seeds.

Foresthouse is a fantastic company as they quote based on what most people want and species that are known and easy to locate as a per seed price. And the seeds are fresh.  However if you specifically wanted a collection of a rather rare unknown species then you maybe told a set price. Don't automatically dismiss other suppliers from other countries if they just give you a set figure without any formal calculations or a per seed price.

Also I have dealt with Wirisy for over 6 years and I have never had a response from him that's taken longer than 48 hrs.

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
As most of us on this forum are aware tropical fruit tress seeds are in general recalcitrant and if I order recalcitrant seeds and the man / woman has them right away I am skeptical as who knows how long they have had them? Most tropical fruit trees seeds lose viability very quickly so when I order them I expect to wait till they are in season. Now the problem with us "modern folk"  is we want everything NOW ordered on a smart phone delivered by amazon prime tomorrow. Unfortunately trees don't play nice on that front. Some years they won't fruit and you may need to wait 2 or more years.

My point is Ferdinand does not have the seeds in stock and does not know how much he will have to pay to get them. I take this as a good sign in that he will get the requested seeds when they are available (fresh) the only way they will be viable. I tell him what I would like and he gets them for me when they are ready. I have found his prices reasonable. He is on the ground  in Cameroon and is willing to help find seeds if your prepared to wait.

As a side note selling recalcitrant seeds is a very hard gig with all the variables in play so good luck to anyone who is working on that front.

Hi Vernmented yeah I got seeds from him and they were good and another nursery owner I know gets seed from him regularly. Remember everything is negotiable! If it seems to much let him know how much you think is reasonable  as Annonaceae mentioned in his post "the issue maybe a cultural misunderstanding" and in Cameroon negotiation on price is the norm (I assume I have never been there but have been to East Africa where it is the norm).

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:43:58 PM by luketrollope »

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »
It may be worth it to order a massive amount of seeds but I have never used this seller so I would rather do a small order and then order everything I wanted that is in season if the first transaction went smoothly. He quoted $30 for Phyto certificate which I have never had to deal with before and $80 for shipping which is WAAAAAAAAAAY more then I have ever paid, although I haven't ordered seeds from Africa before. It sounded off to me.

Has anyone needed a phyto certificate to ship seeds before? I thought that was used for plants.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 09:00:06 PM »
It may be worth it to order a massive amount of seeds but I have never used this seller so I would rather do a small order and then order everything I wanted that is in season if the first transaction went smoothly. He quoted $30 for Phyto certificate which I have never had to deal with before and $80 for shipping which is WAAAAAAAAAAY more then I have ever paid, although I haven't ordered seeds from Africa before. It sounded off to me.

Has anyone needed a phyto certificate to ship seeds before? I thought that was used for plants.

It would be a large padded mailer or small box shipped EMS.
-Josh

Potatoman

• Sharon Hill, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 11:51:55 PM »
Only it seems strange to me that two Australian with a small number of posts protect the Ferdinand? This suggests a conspiracy. I wanted to hear the opinion of the old-timer forum.
Ashanell

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 02:06:11 PM »

Phyto is not required for the US if you are using a small lots of seed permit.  ForestHouse will generally quote phyto docs (I think for $10 if I recall correctly) but will gladly take them off if you tell them it is not required.  That shipping price sounds preposterous from my previous orders from Cameroon.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »

Phyto is not required for the US if you are using a small lots of seed permit.  ForestHouse will generally quote phyto docs (I think for $10 if I recall correctly) but will gladly take them off if you tell them it is not required.  That shipping price sounds preposterous from my previous orders from Cameroon.

That is what I thought. I have a small seed lot permit and was going to use it. They even asked for it in the first email which I saw as a positive.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 02:57:33 PM »

Also, thank you for the insight.
-Josh

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 11:09:41 PM »
Thanks for the input potato man but my advice is lay off the colored spuds for a bit they might be playing with your imagination...

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
Hey Luke

I just checked out your price list...some amazing plants and you have Annona scleroderma, hard to get over here.

Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 09:29:07 PM »
Hmm Now Im confused  :-\  So many exciting African flora still waiting to be discovered , Foremost from tropical region , Im one of them get intrigued by it , And Im sure theres a demand for it . Too bad supplies are not so efficent yet it can get risky I  am myself got cheated losing 150 Euro from someone in Cameroon . Shall I give them a try for both of them once again ? Hope I got it right at this time  ;D   Anyway , Thanks for sharing Luke , Greatly appreciated      8)