Author Topic: Anybody growing Tahoe Gold Mandarin.  (Read 4276 times)

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Anybody growing Tahoe Gold Mandarin.
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Does anybody knows about this mandarin Tahoe Gold? Looking for some info on this mandarin. Hope it grows in U.S.A.so that there might be budwood available.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody growing Tahoe Gold Mandarin.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »
I've been growing one in a container since it was first released several years ago. It fruits heavily and they are seedless. Go to the citrus clonal protection program website here:http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/tde3.html

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:27:49 AM »
I'm growing one myself, fruits very heavily.
Picked mine up from a local Costco during their sale, 18 bucks a 5g citrus, maybe 3 I forgot.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »
Thanks, sounds good, going to add to my meager collection. Have 9 varieties now,will check with that address and see if they have that one.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
Thanks, sounds good, going to add to my meager collection. Have 9 varieties now,will check with that address and see if they have that one.

Wow, happy looking citrus!
Didn't know they would do so well indoors, thought they do better outdoors needing the cold to bloom.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
Come April they are going back outside till December again.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »
How easy or difficult of a process you have to go through ordering from them.I saw that Tahoe Gold is listed but do not know if it is available. Never order from them before.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
Come April they are going back outside till December again.

Man, don't tease like that!
I thought they were indoors 100%

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:28:06 PM »
How easy or difficult of a process you have to go through ordering from them.I saw that Tahoe Gold is listed but do not know if it is available. Never order from them before.

There was a $#!+ ton at the store, they had over 10 varieties to choose from including Yuzu Hybrid.
I realized there were serial varieties of yuzu, thick rind, thin rind, low seeds.
At home I currently have 2 varieties, maybe 3-4 so I'm not sure which is these Japanese variety anymore.

You may want to wait around spring time, when they ramp up their garden collection.
Many great things to buy, including Japanese Maples, citrus, flowers, palms etc.
Custom service should be able to order it for you too, but probably back ordered until it arrives in spring and ready for you to pick up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:29:46 PM by waxy »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
If you're outside California, it might be harder to order from CCPP.ucr.edu. I heard some Texas people had to pay $100 and then a higher amount per bud. Texas is a citrus growing state though, so they might have more restrictions in place to warrant the extra cost to certify.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 07:41:57 PM »
I was told it is a patented tree and they don't sell budwood. You might be able to buy a tree from a vendor, licence to sell out of state.Check 2 and none have them.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »
If you're outside California, it might be harder to order from CCPP.ucr.edu. I heard some Texas people had to pay $100 and then a higher amount per bud. Texas is a citrus growing state though, so they might have more restrictions in place to warrant the extra cost to certify.

In Texas we have to pay $3 a bud, $150 service fee, $35 shipping or $245 for 20 CCPP buds. That is what I paid for shiranui buds from Florida. Gave up on waiting for California shiranui. Must order thru the Texas bud wood bureau. No more orders for me at those prices. Probably next year can't get any bud wood to graft legally.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »
I was told it is a patented tree and they don't sell budwood. You might be able to buy a tree from a vendor, licence to sell out of state.Check 2 and none have them.

They sell bud wood to California if you enter into a propagation agreement which is pretty onerous.

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
I tried to get this a couple of years ago though the CCCP but I had to have a nursery license (which I've heard is not that hard to get).  I ended up getting it from another source since I'm in a non citrus growing area.  I haven't looked to see how it's doing. 

On a side note, the shiranui I got from CCCP last year has flowered and has fruit now. 

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
Vanman, good to know that you have one of them, i have been looking for some time and here you are my neighbor that has one. I wonder if you want a trade?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 11:18:22 PM »
Evergreen nursery in the San Diego area hadn’t lots of Tahoe gold when I checked about 4 months ago. I had a hard time finding Shasta gold though. Found a few growers in norcal who had them but only one who would deliver (no shipping) he tacked my tree onto someone else’s order and charged me 30$ for the 500 mike drive. Counted myself lucky.

Once you get a nursery license, the patent cost is 500$ for each licensed variety at ccpp. Maybe cheaper to look elsewhere

K

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 11:45:15 PM »
I have to say I'm a fan of Shasta Gold (I think it might even be a little better than Page mandarin). Not sure how similar it is to Tahoe Gold though. (I'm not a fan of Dancy, so that should be saying something)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 04:59:47 AM »
My favorites this year have been Fremont and daisy. Surprisingly my daisy has no seeds.  I had been in the market for a daisysl but I wonder if growers just swapped out the daisy with tha sl version.

K

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »
Check out Costco when you have the chance in spring, there's a massive selection to choose from.
After spring, they lower the prices to 15 bucks a bucket in my area.
There's a large Asian community here, same with SoCal so they always pick the good ones before they are moved off the pallets.