Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Bad year for late season citrus in Texas near Houston

(1/3) > >>

mrtexas:
Looks like another bad year for late season citrus fruit here near Sugar Land,TX. It is predicted
freezing temperatures for 20 hours with a low of 20F. That is bad enough to freeze late season
fruit. I guess I won't get any good seville oranges for marmalade again. Same thing last year.
Garbage can is covering a coonti. Another garbage can covers my young white sapote.

Untitled by philip sauber, on Flickr

Millet:
Phil, that same storm came through here (Colorado) two days ago.  We had a low of -4F.  Today it was sunny with a high of 31-F, and tomorrow should be around 55F. Sorry about your crop.  I have a Seville sour orange that has quite a few fruit on it.  Could you post once again your recipe how to make it.

mrtexas:

--- Quote from: Millet on January 16, 2018, 06:19:27 PM ---Phil, that same storm came through here (Colorado) two days ago.  We had a low of -4F.  Today it was sunny with a high of 31-F, and tomorrow should be around 55F. Sorry about your crop.  I have a Seville sour orange that has quite a few fruit on it.  Could you post once again your recipe how to make it.

--- End quote ---

I could post it but you wouldn't have the industrial pectin I use. Just get a package of grocery store
pectin and follow their recipe.  https://mrtexascitrus.weebly.com/marmalade.html

ThangBom321:
Oh yes! It got really cold here in Spring Tx. I made me a small snowman with what we got on the porch. I hope the few plants I have under the tarp with 1 single 40watt bulb survive. They are all fairly young and in pots. The few in the garage are doing fine under the LED grow light. But yes, it got cold.

Thangbom

Isaac-1:
Here across the state line in southwest Louisiana we have a forecast low of 14F tonight, and 18F tomorrow night, my citrus is covered with heat lamps / C7 christmas lights, I just hope it is enough, the covers were coated with ice by early afternoon today.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version