Author Topic: Fruit or nut tree to line a driveway  (Read 2140 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Fruit or nut tree to line a driveway
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
Got a new place to plant! Among other things, looking for ideas on trees to line a long and wide driveway in zone 9a. Fruit, nut or other useful. Neighbor says the coldest she's ever seen is 25F. Things I'm considering: chestnut, pistachio, cork oak, cherry, crabapple, carob, jacaranda, sapodilla, cornus kousa...
Shane

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit or nut tree to line a driveway
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:00:00 PM »
Its bare root fruit tree season at walter andersons.  Peaches and other stone fruits would do great.  Is the new digs fenced off and have neighbors around?  Just asking because if its very rural and no fencing, deer will eat the fruit trees.
Brad Spaugh

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:17:55 PM »
Will be repairing the fence to 5.5' mesh and a couple strands of barbed wire but the allee trees will likely be outside the fence. Yes on neighbors but not enough to keep deer away, which I've seen on the property. So maybe not fruit then, at least not dwarf.
Shane

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »
As long as theres a fence it should keep them out.  Deer are a pain otherwise.  Jack rabbits can kill a tree also.  They chew up the bark really bad.

You could even put fencing around each tree for the first couple of years until they are large enough to deal with wildlife.

Anyway, I will have to look up where your place is.  Near the wild animal park?  You should get good chill so you have lots of opportunity to grow things others in SD cant grow. Cherries, plums, pears etc should do well.  I just put in a dozen more bare root trees here.  We will see how they do, not much chill here.
Brad Spaugh

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
im quite partial to hazelnuts :)  Figs as well.

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 11:44:41 PM »
Do you want a tree lined driveway, or do you want a hedge?