Author Topic: grow dabai in container and pot  (Read 4397 times)

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
grow dabai in container and pot
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:48:30 AM »
Can we grow dabai in container or big pot?

Did anybody grow this outside Borneo and have fruit?

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: grow dabai in container and pot
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:36:41 AM »
We have so many Indonesian and Malaysian sellers so i hope somebody can answer my question.

My dabai seeds grow multiple sprouts out of 1 seed, will they have the same sex? 70% of seedlings is male but is that the same for seedlings with multiple sprouts?

They grow very fast and already drop the seed after 1 day above ground. But when can i put them in full sun?

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 01:25:46 AM »
Well this page says they are tropical and sub-tropical.
https://ecofrenhealth.wordpress.com/2016/03/25/what-is-buah-dabai/
So you should be able to grow them in Thailand. Though they look like a pretty big tree to be growing in pots.
How do you eat them Sunny?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 01:45:23 AM »
I have dabai trees (Canarium odontophyllum). Mine have not fruited yet, but know of other ones fruiting in Hawaii. I think they are too big and tall to fruit in a pot, unless you use a giant pot.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 02:16:17 AM »
My 2 year old baby in 2016, now 1.5 years later it's almost twice as tall. Yet it is still 2-3 years from fruiting ( if I win sex selection lottery).  Considering what you see, you'll have to have magician's skill to fruit it in a pot of any size.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 02:19:31 AM »
I've always resisted the temptation to grow this fruit because A) they're such large trees at fruiting time, and B) they're dioecious.  A shame, really, but not everything is equally practical indoors.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 04:43:03 AM »
I never seen or eaten dabai but i think i will like it.

The female can bloom in 4years i read, male in more years. But i have 5 and want to keep small tree from pruning and in container...maybe 200 liter i think.

That tree in sri lanka is not big, we sell tree's that size in 100 liter pots everywhere in thailand.

I don't want to plant in soil because i need many tree's and they grow so big. I think i do multiple stem grafting from seedling so i can cut the male...but still don't know if female alone can make fruit or still need the male...but if i graft all 5 on 1 tree i have good chance for fruit i think.

Only one seed made 2 stems, the other only 1.
===========================================
http://www.tropicalfruits.com.my/pdf/Borneo-Olive-Dabai-k-fruit.pdf

Flowers Male dabai trees produce male flowers with pollen and female
ones have hermaphrodite characteristics, having both male
and female organs on the same flower but the staminodes, the
male part of the flower, are sterile, producing no pollen
. The
flowers are a creamy white with three sepals and an orange
stigma.

Propagation Through seeds. The sex of the trees is not revealed until
they reach reproductive maturity, which is after four years,
after which male trees are cut down and an orchard of female
trees is established. After much research, two suitable clones
(Laja and Lulong) are propagated by cuttings and grafting.

============================================
If the male part of female tree is sterile producing no pollen how can we cut the male tree and still get fruit? I don't understand it, so we only keep the female tree and still get fruit?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 05:01:28 AM »
That tree in sri lanka is not big, we sell tree's that size in 100 liter pots everywhere in thailand.

You've seen *dabai fruiting in 100 litre pots*?  Seeing trees in pots is not remotely the same thing as seeing a specific tree fruiting in a specific-sized pot.   Lots of people grow bananas in 100l pots, but it'd take a miracle to get anything meaningful out of it, or even flower in most cases.

If you really want to try this (don't get your hopes up), you're going to have to graft.  Yes, if you're in an area that already has the occasional male tree, you won't need one.   Use an upper branch (not a lower branch) from an already-fruiting tree as a scion.

You may also want to consider a different canarium species. They're all huge trees, but some are more monstrous than others  ;)  Canarium album (Chinese White Olive), or perhaps even better, Canarium harveyi (Nangai) are probably better.  Here's a Nangai fruiting at a reasonable height (although still huge for a pot!)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:14:10 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 05:11:50 AM »

You've seen *dabai fruiting in 100 litre pots*?  Seeing trees in pots is not remotely the same thing as seeing a specific tree fruiting in a specific-sized pot.   Lots of people grow bananas in 100l pots, but it'd take a miracle to get anything meaningful out of it, or even flower in most cases.

If you really want to try this (don't get your hopes up), you're going to have to graft.  Yes, if you're in an area that already has the occasional male tree, you won't need one.   Use an upper branch (not a lower branch) from an already-fruiting tree as a scion.

Yes iceland same same Thailand 5555

http://balconygardenweb.com/how-to-grow-banana-trees-growing-banana-trees-in-pots/

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 05:15:42 AM »
The first picture in that link is probably fake (if not, those fingers will never get larger than that), and the second one is definitely fake. Come on, who is dumb enough to believe that this is how bananas fruit?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:36:11 AM by KarenRei »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 05:20:10 AM »
I believe the first picture in that link is fake, and the second one is definitely fake. Come on, who is dumb enough to believe that this is how bananas fruit?

Can you stop ruining my thread about dabai please miss iceland? Have you ever been to Thailand treeshop? Have you ever seen dabaitree?

This picture that i posted in link is real...do you know what purple thing is? My friend also had tree like this with fruit.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 05:25:56 AM »
Your reference is a page that contains a picture where someone taped a bunch of supermarket bananas to a banana plant and tried to pass it off as fruiting.

I know you want to think that you can grow anything, in any condition, without being able to control for critical factors (e.g., root size) just by wanting it enough. But unfortunately, it's just not so.  I have more experience growing plants in pots than you ever will.  It's hard to fruit a banana and get something decent off of it in a bloody rain barrel, let alone a 100 litre pot.  And bananas are much smaller plants than dabai. 

I'm sorry if you don't like bad news.  Go waste your time trying to grow dabai in pots, it's not going to hurt me any.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:53:58 AM by KarenRei »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 05:41:47 AM »
I have more experience growing plants in pots than you ever will.  It's hard to fruit a banana and get something decent off of it in a bloody rain barrel, let alone a 100 litre pot.  And bananas are much smaller plants than dabai. 

I'm sorry if you don't like bad news.  Go waste your time trying to grow dabai in pots, it's not going to hurt me any.

You go waste your time in hoola hoop house, this is TROPICAL forum.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:59 AM »
Sunny why so much aggression?
Typically forums like these work better when people are friendly and cordial. Just because you disagree doesnt mean one needs to descend to immature comments.
You can be better than that dude ;)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 08:37:06 AM »
With good bonsai technique and cytokinin possible.You could graft adult sexed wood on one tree
http://sa-bonsai.blogspot.com/p/techniques-and-information.html

They are growing durian on Trellis
Trellis For Durian In Hawaii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsXqPVT_UlE

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
With good bonsai technique and cytokinin possible.You could graft adult sexed wood on one tree

I think there is also a clear distinction between Will it fruit and will it be productive e.g. like citrus are
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
Typically forums like these work better when people are friendly and cordial. Just because you disagree doesnt mean one needs to descend to immature comments.
I don't know always the kind of questions and way of thinking of forum member member Sunny remind me of previous forum member Bangkok, merely coincidence?
El verde es vida!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »

Yes i hope to get the seedling make fruit in a pot and after that if i like dabai make grafted tree and plant in soil..

My durian is also small with fruit but is grafted mongthong.

I see tree's for sale they are 8 meters high and trunk is 30-40-50 cm but rootball is maybe 200 liters...and i see big mangotree with fruit in small pot, same for jackfruit....but have never seen durian with fruit in pot.

For dabai i like to know how big the pot i need is to get fruit...dabai makes single trunk which is tall so i will start pruning very young..and when i have sidebranches i graft another seedling on it. So later i can cut branches that are male off the tree.

I have never seen dabai in thailand but am happy to have seeds now. I ordered grafted dabai from borneo but will maybe get that next year.

If on wikipedia they write that a tree will grow 30 meters that does not mean yours will be like that. You can always prune it like in that video and create your own tree. Also in pot is possible with bonsai technique, in Thailand many things is  possible. We just try and see what happens.

But maybe dabai is not happy here, we will see. They grow 10 cm in the first day, yesterday i had nothing above ground and now 3 of them. They don't need the seed anymore after they are above ground, it falls off.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »
I don't know always the kind of questions and way of thinking of forum member member Sunny remind me of previous forum member Bangkok, merely coincidence?
;D ;D ha ha ha I honestly thought the exact same thing!!!
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
You have to start with smaller pots to train and root prune .Grafting and training with wires the top growth all to stunt apical dominance.You are going to have to read up on bonsai techniques and apply.

Everybody has a bad day

chow

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
Bananas can definitely fruit in a pot, especially dwarf types. But bananas are very shallow rooted plants. Here they fruit in small lava rock holes, equivalent size to a 15 gallon (60L) pot. Dabai would be much more challenging. You could do it, like i said before, in a giant pot. By giant i don't mean 100 liter (25 gallon) pot. You would need minimum a 24 inch box. These wooden boxes are used in nursery trade for large specimen trees. But getting something to fruit, and having a good production is very different, as someone already pointed out. Similarly bananas in pots will not make large racks. Also impractical because with top weight the pots easily fall over.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »
The problem with all those bonsai, pruning, and grafting ideas that this particular species grows in usual fashion like a palm. My tree looks like a tall branchless palm now. All the growth happens from tip of the tree, any branches near the top fall off quickly as the tree grows.  I have strong suspicion if you cut the top, the tree will likely die. But never done such experiment. There is just one picture on the internet of young trees, you can sort get an idea how challenging pruning or topworking is going to be. This tree simply want to grow like a palm during first several years.
Regarding 4 years from seeds, these particular info comes from Malaysian publication describing growth of grafted cultivars. Looks like it has been later copy and pasted all over the internet as a fact. But in reality people attempting to grow this species report much longer time. This particular Sarawak native women says it took 10 years for the first flowers to appear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXWn_Jzan3E

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:14:16 AM by DurianLover »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk