Author Topic: where is the meat  (Read 1258 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
where is the meat
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:31 AM »
Hi All, i was given a ice cream bean a few days ago 2nd one i have had in my life , there was NOTHING TO EAT, just a vvvvery thin layer of membrane on the seed it was sweet but flavorless , so are there named varieties with something to eat in them or is this the norm??           Regards     Patrick

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: where is the meat
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:51:29 PM »
Could you ask if the flowers were hand pollinated? Inadequate pollination can be a cause. Not 100% sure, but I don’t think you’d need multiple trees.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:05:35 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
There should be "cotton candy" fluff sticking out from the membrane, which is a refreshing delicacy.  It will never be filling or highly nutritious.  The trees are important for shade, soil improvement, leafy fodder for farm animals, green manures, wind breaks and privacy rows, bee food and hummingbird food, crotch prop sticks, and firewood.
Har

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
There are different varieties of Ice Cream Bean which I know nothing about except that there are long skinny ones with relatively small seeds and a good amount of flesh to seed ratio. I’ve also tasted Machete Ice Cream bean which are very thick but the seeds are quite big and the flesh was not as sweet as the longer skinny one.

Simon

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:55:16 PM »
To opening poster: learn how to use a subject line. They are not supposed to be mystery topic click bait.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 11:32:52 PM »
thanks  for the feed back Anisha i do not think it is a pollination issue as all 8 seeds are viable and sprouting after 3 days, Har there is no fluff at all the membrane around the seeds was as thin as tissue paper and VERY tuff,Simon this one looks just like what they have at southwestern college if you have ever seen that one,mangostein this was not meant to be a mystery topic or a click bait, simple a little bit of AMERICAN humor            Patrick