Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Perfect Rootstock for Mandarins - Effects of Lemon Interstock on Mandarins

(1/8) > >>

behlgarden:
Folks, new to this citrus forum. Have question for the pros.

What is the best rootstock for grafting mandarins? I can pick a grafted mandarin tree from Home Depot OR I can get a much healthier lemon/lime tree. Idea is to get decent growth out of mandarins. I want to do cocktail.

Any comments or recommendations?  What happens to flavor and production of mandarins if grafted onto lemon interstock!

Thanks

fyliu:
I get the feeling the lemon and mandarin might be on the same rootstock. Kumquat might be on something different.

I know that some rootstocks can make citrus sweeter or jucier. I don't know what they are or if they're still good to use. Some good rootstocks of the past stopped being used because of susceptibility to new diseases.

Millet:
behlgarden, your question cannot be answered until it is known what soil type the tree will be planted in (loam, sandy loam, sandy, heavy soil, good drainage, poor drainage,  salinity (chlorides), calcareous soils, wet soils, disease). Rootstocks are chosen that will adapt to the soil type where it is to be planted. Also, one needs to insure that the rootstock is compatible with the scion that will be grafted onto it..

SoCal2warm:
Usually rootstocks are chosen for two primary reasons, that they are vigorous growing, and that they will have a dwarfing effect. The dwarfing effect induces trees to begin fruit production much earlier in their lives than they would otherwise. This isn't only true for citrus, it's true for all sorts of other fruit tree varieties as well.

Trifoliate or Troyer citrange are the most common standard rootstocks for mandarins.

Millet:
What SoCal2Warm writes is true, however you still need to be careful of the planting location. Trifoliate is well adapted to loam, sandy loam, and clay soils. It can also perform well on sandy soils, but only if irrigation is managed very carefully, because the roots are shallow and therefore trees on Trifoliate are very susceptible to drought.  Trifoliate does poorly on salinity and calcareous soils (higher pH).  Most mandarins perform well on Trifoliate for at least 10  to 15 years but eventually develop bud union crease and then the tree declines.  Much is the same with Troyer and its sister rootstock Carrizo (both Troyer and Carrizo originated from a single hybrid seedling of Washington navel orange x Trifoliate Orange). Troyer and Carrizo citranges adapt well to loam, sandy loam and sandy soil.  Performs poorly on very heavy soils with poor drainage.  Both also do poorly to salinity (chloride) and to high calcareous soils (poor higher than about 7.8 pH), but better than most Trifoliate hybrids. Compatibility with mandarins is complex and not well understood. Nearly all mandarins perform well for at least anywhere from 10 to 15 years, but many eventually develop bud union crease and decline.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version