Author Topic: What you see when fruit sleuthing  (Read 2148 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
What you see when fruit sleuthing
« on: March 30, 2018, 03:27:21 AM »
Today I went around a few places looking for safu.

Picked up a twisted chempadak from a friend on the way.

Got a mammoth and a Mt white Lime (Citrus garrawayae)  from the market.

Went to the 'safu' park and no safu on the trees bit there were other things to see.

Cant climb up the big matisia tree to get these.

Or this tree.
Saw a big canistel variety and 2 mystery canistel like Pouterias

An Annons padulosa from my brothers tree today. Or is that A,paludosa?

Went to a friends place but his safu had no fruit so came home and consoled myself with limberlost durian from my tree.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: What you see when fruit sleuthing
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:32:22 AM »

Here is the limberlost and they are heavy and dense and more aromatic than most.

It is what's inside that really counts.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 04:26:34 AM »
Wow! That first matisia is really loaded. Never heard of limberlost durian. Is that an Australian creation?
Oscar

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:29:47 AM »
Those Matisia fruits taste divine.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 04:40:40 AM »
Oscar the Limberlost is of unknown parentage and named after the nursery and has become one of the most popular types in my area. The matisia trees (chupa chupa) were incredibly loaded, especially the large tree in the first picture. What you can see is a very small proportion of the canopy. Annona I am sure you are surprised also that they are not planted everywhere.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
Did you try that Annona paludosa fruit?  I grew one tree from seed.  It fruited & died back -- not sure if it is coming back or dead yet.  The fruit on mine seemed to be nearly all seeds with no noticeable pulp.  Other than the fact it was quite small & might be of value for a dwarfing rootstock, I saw no redeeming features to it -- unless it was some fluke fruiting & is normally of better quality.

John

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »
Did you try that Annona paludosa fruit?  I grew one tree from seed.  It fruited & died back -- not sure if it is coming back or dead yet.  The fruit on mine seemed to be nearly all seeds with no noticeable pulp.  Other than the fact it was quite small & might be of value for a dwarfing rootstock, I saw no redeeming features to it -- unless it was some fluke fruiting & is normally of better quality.

John

Hi John despite the fact that our member Annonaceae really loves them they are not really a top quality fruit and are very seedy
however they would make an excellent rootstock due to the short growth habit

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 09:29:02 PM »
Taste is subjective and in the rich and varied tapestry of life Annonacae finds paludosa and matisia delicious and turns up his nose at durians. I'm with Stevo and John but if it weren't for different tastes we would all be sticking to apples, oranges and bananas.

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »
Taste is very subjective.....its divine I will buy 20kg of them and the seeds are just like a passionfruit ;D

John

Hi John despite the fact that our member Annonaceae really loves them they are not really a top quality fruit and are very seedy
however they would make an excellent rootstock due to the short growth habit

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
That was the first time I tasted Matisia and no joke it was yummy in my tummy.

Taste is subjective and in the rich and varied tapestry of life Annonacae finds paludosa and matisia delicious and turns up his nose at durians. I'm with Stevo and John but if it weren't for different tastes we would all be sticking to apples, oranges and bananas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk