Author Topic: F-----g Fakir (very severe tropical storm)  (Read 2745 times)

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
F-----g Fakir (very severe tropical storm)
« on: April 29, 2018, 02:57:15 AM »
24/04/2018
Half of my trees KO. Fakir did a strike !

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: F-----g Fakir (very severe tropical storm)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »
Where?
John

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
Gouralata, please accept my expression of compassion for you. The main thing is that nothing happened to you (I hope that nobody else suffered?)

Some trees are worth trying to save, for this purpose they dig them up a little, so that they can return to earth. Boughs, of course, need to be shortened (you need to make these trees as low as possible). Then gird around with a belt or some rope and try to drag the machine into a slightly undermined place (you have to dig enough to sap the tree a little deeper than the previous level). Some of the trees will not survive, they will break off completely, but those whose part of the roots will be saved can be saved. It is necessary to attach such trees permanently (girdle) so that they do not fall over and do not harm anyone. For a few years they will be less stable and then they should be tied from two sides (from the side from which they were torn out). Tying them you must remember to protect the trunk from crushing and wiping through the rope (something must be put under the rope, some rubber or other elastic material that protects the trunk from the rope pressure). Shortening and trimming branches may improve the effectiveness of such activities and prevent injury or killing someone (above all, safety, also if you decide to save these trees, remember necessarily about tying the trees for some time). Good luck - if you take on the difficult task of saving some of the trees. Dominik
Patience is a gardener's virtue

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
WOW, Gouralata so sorry to see the damage from the storm on your tree's but hopefully your house an you are fine. Trees can be planted again and some may be able to get cut back an righted back into place. Looks like your in some tropical area on this planet which tree grow fast, may you have a speedy recovery :(

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
Where?

Guessing either island of Reunion or Mauritius (just east of Madagascar) as that is where Tropical Storm Fakir just passed by

https://twitter.com/GuillaumeIBM/status/988690649498161152

Gouralata

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
Thank you for your friendly messages.
My place is in the North East of reunion Island. I think I'll can save few of my trees (wild durio zibethinus and one rambutan) but one of my Durio dulcis (12M high) is really dead.
   Life will go on and new trees will be planted.
Some trees are wind resistant: salak, Theobroma cacao, Garcinia mangostana, Manilkora sapota, Mangifera indica, Garcinia parvifolia, Myrciaria jaboticaba. One other lesson: in hurricane place don't let grow the trees upper than 6 meters.

Gouralata

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »
Sorry to hear about that! Hope you and your trees recooperate quickly. How many trees did you have planted? What is the size of your place?
Nothing in the news about this storm here.
Oscar

Gouralata

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 04:46:20 AM »
My garden was a small jungle of 2 thousands square meters
 trees uprooted: 3 rambutans, 1 pejibaye, 2 Mocambo, 1 biriba, 1 Durio dulcis (snif), 1 durian, 2 abius, 1 hudge breadfruit, 1 lecithis, 1 pulasan, 1 macadamia, 1 white sapote, 1 bactris sp.(chunta), 2 mapati, 1 chupa chupa.
  Trees crushed: 1 garcinia acuminata, 1 kepel, 1 Jaque "varika", 1 pouteria sp. (zolive from French guyanne).
Now I have about one thousand square meters as a new story to write !

Gouralata

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
This guide to fruit tree hurricane preparation and recovery may be of help. Having been through this before, many of us offer our sympathy.

https://fshs.org/proceedings-o/2006-vol-119/FSHS%20119/p.045-49.pdf

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
I know how you feel. I lost over a dozen trees, blueberries, vines etc. from hurricane Irma. But I’m using that to better organize my planting areas and selection of trees and such.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 02:58:49 AM »
How strong were the winds at your place? From little information i could find, strongest winds were 75 miles per hour (120 km. per hour).
Oscar

Gouralata

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 06:48:17 AM »
  Impossible to know the speed of the wind, we noticed that some little place are completely distroyed and two meters further one papaya or an avocado are completely safe (no leaves down). The same way happened with the garden of one my friend (half garden is destroyed and half safe). I think your informations are the same we got but the meteo services didn't warn anybody so they don't want to recognize what it happens. Even the prefect (like governor) let people goes working this morning.

Gouralata

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
  Impossible to know the speed of the wind, we noticed that some little place are completely distroyed and two meters further one papaya or an avocado are completely safe (no leaves down). The same way happened with the garden of one my friend (half garden is destroyed and half safe). I think your informations are the same we got but the meteo services didn't warn anybody so they don't want to recognize what it happens. Even the prefect (like governor) let people goes working this morning.

Gouralata
Hmmmm, that seems very strange and dangerous! Why wouldn't the government warn people of the storm coming?
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk