Author Topic: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!  (Read 52868 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
No. Pressure (which is natural, not added) is what allows it to stay liquid at high temperatures.  When you let the pressure off, you have 250°C steam. Gas phase.  Steam is just like any other gas, and can reach any temperature (between its boiling point and the point where it decomposes to hydrogen and oxygen at thousands of degrees).  There's nothing magical about steam that constrains it to a single temperature.

But this is beside the point... the point is that it takes many times more energy to convert 100° water into 100° steam than it takes to convert 0° water to 100° water.  Put a pot of water on the stove and see for yourself.

And *that* is beside the point, in that water spraying is just one way of many to stop lava.  And that lava diversion attempts in the 1970s and 1980s were in general very successful (and cost effective), and that's with four-decade-old tech.  And that Hawaii seems to be the only place in the world that has this anti-diversion, "let Pele take what she will" attitude.  Where even the guy who builds a berm around his own house feels the need to throw offerings to Pele into the lava to apologize for his insolence.  And of all the places... Kilauea is a really low flow rate volcano, a couple cubic meters per second.  It makes their task so much easier than almost any other volcanoes in the world that threaten people with lava. For comparison, when Bárðarbunga erupted here, the eruption peaked at 10000 cubic meters per second, and was in the thousands of cubic meters per second for much of a year.  Eldfell's flow rate was low by Icelandic standards, starting at "only" 100 cubic meters per second.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:04:47 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Just to be clear, i am not at all against attempts to divert lava. What you have to understand is that circumstances here are a LOT different than in Iceland. Attempts to stop love were done here in in the 1970's and 1980's (is that a century ago?) using bulldozers and other heavy equipment to create trenches, also explosives to divert flow from vents. Both failed miserably. Water also does not stop lava, even a whole ocean full of water. As flagrant proof of this consider that this whole island chain came up from bottom of ocean, 5 miles up of lava creating these islands in deep ocean. It's not like trying to put out a forest fire. Lava also goes through any barrier, because it can melt even strongest metals. Only temporary diversions are possible, and then there is the problem that you are diverting the lava and making it somebody else's problem, and you are liable for problems you cause them. This is not a vast uninhabited expanse like Iceland! All the considerations that you talk about resistance is from some Hawaiian people here, but they are a very tiny minority of the population. Also keep in mind that they don't (currently) run the government. If a way was possible it would definitely be considered, has been considered, and has been rejected. Anyway i don't want to get into these discussions too much, too many other things on my mind, as you might imagine?
The lava has been flowing continuously here for over 35 years. It's the longest non stop volcanic eruption on the planet. It's only in the news again because it currently is flowing in a small area that is residential.That area has about 1000 residents. All the other times you don't hear about the lava eruptions, even when the eruptions are a lot more giant, because houses are not in danger. But we are dealing with lava every day, not just this one week when it's in the news.
Oscar

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
No. Pressure (which is natural, not added) is what allows it to stay liquid at high temperatures.  When you let the pressure off, you have 250°C steam. Gas phase.  Steam is just like any other gas, and can reach any temperature (between its boiling point and the point where it decomposes to hydrogen and oxygen at thousands of degrees).  There's nothing magical about steam that constrains it to a single temperature.
Under natural pressure under the ground water is still under pressure and can be a liquid at higher than 100 C. and it will vary with the pressure (natural or not). The same goes for steam under pressure and the time it converts back to water will vary with the temperature and pressure... And yes it will cool once out at sea level pressure at about 100 C convert back to water & no it's not magical.

Water sprayed on lava at sea level pressure will leave the lava at 100 C (and I did not mention salts as yes it will be a little higher temperature with the bonds but salt water is both at Iceland & Hawaii..).

And the point is yes the lower temperature water will give a lower temperature to the lava and yes it takes a lot lot lot of small amounts to lower the high lava temperature which is obvious..(also obvious is that the evaporation process is part of the lowering of temperature).. The water temperature is not insignificant when multiplied by volume.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:20:17 PM by palmcity »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »
Picture time.

I fill a glass measuring cup with half a cup of tapwater and set it in a microwave for 30 minutes.  The microwave will deliver energy to the water at a constant rate

A minute and a half in (stopped the microwave a bit late), and the water is at a nice healthy rolling boil.  The temperature has risen from tapwater temperature to boiling.

6 minutes in: the water level has reduced to 1/3rd cup

15 minutes in and the cup finally runs dry:

Note: 1 1/2 minutes to raise the water to 100°.  Another 13 1/2 minutes to actually boil it off. What does this tell you about how much energy is required to raise the temperature to 100°, vs. convert the 100° water to steam?  And given this ratio, what does that tell you about how meaningful the starting temperature is?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »
Forgot to add, diversion of lava is only attemptable when lava is flowing and you can attempt to redirect it into a channel. Right now the lava is not flowing, it is coming straight up out of the s,,from new magma intrrusion out of 9 fissures (huge gound cracks). So what do you propose, injecting ocean water straight into the ground? There is no piped water in that area.  Where do you get all this water and how do you pump it? The ocean is several miles from current event. And soon all roads to ocean may be blocked by lava. All very nice hypotheticals that ain't gonna happen here.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 05:13:41 PM »
Attempts to stop love were done here in in the 1970's and 1980's (is that a century ago?) using bulldozers and other heavy equipment to create trenches, also explosives to divert flow from vents

What attempts in the 1980s are you talking about?  The only that I'm aware of in the 1970s was an experimental bombing run.   I'm aware of a berm attempt in the 1960s, but it was laughably undersized, 1,5-3 meters tall (I can *see over* a 1,5 meter berm  :Þ)  If there were some others, I would be interested in them.

Water also does not stop lava, even a whole ocean full of water

So when a lava flow hits the ocean, it just keeps going?  Of course not , it hardens instantly.  Yes, over millions of eruptions over geological timeperiods it builds up islands. But that's not what we're talking about.

Here's a lava flow with 1000 times the flow volume of Kilauea:

Here it is flowing into the Jökulsár á Fjöllum:

Monstrous lava flow meets water:

Surely the lava's going to win, right? 

... nope.

It shifted the riverbank a bit east, but in general, the river still flows in its original path, and it acted as a wall to stop the flow from going further east.

This was an eruption with three orders of magnitude higher flow rate than Kilauea.  And it reached the river right near the start of the event.  This thing was so massive that it didn't even start forming lava tubes for months - it just flowed on the surface like a molten river for dozens of kilometers, so far away that you couldn't even see the eruption - just the glowing river of lava:

But a shallow highlands river beat it. Yes, pack on a million eruptions in a row, and of course you'd build over the river, damming into a lake or whatnot. But that's not the issue at hand.  Lava does not "go through any barrier".  Indeed, it makes its own barriers to itself in the process of erupting.  Barriers that it can't melt, because it is... well, itself.  A lava flow has never melted its way through a basalt berm, whether natural or artificial; it's never happened, and can't happen.  Overtopped, if it's too low?  Sure.  But melted?  No.

(And for the record, artificial materials have even higher melting points.  A hot basaltic eruption may be 1100°C, but steel melts at over 1600°C)

and then there is the problem that you are diverting the lava and making it somebody else's problem, and you are liable for problems you cause them

The same could be said about floodwater, but that doesn't stop people from doing flood control.  You divert floodwaters from where they'll do the most damage to where they'll do the least.  And you have plans already in place for where you would divert them in a flood scenario, and discourage people from building in the path. 

This is not a vast uninhabited expanse like Iceland!

Heimaey was (and is) far more densely populated than Pahoa and Leilani Estates.  And Mount Etna, which was successfully diverted twice, is pretty much the opposite of an uninhabited expanse.

All the considerations that you talk about resistance is from some Hawaiian people here, but they are a very tiny minority of the population. Also keep in mind that they don't (currently) run the government. If a way was possible it would definitely be considered, has been considered, and has been rejected. Anyway i don't want to get into these discussions too much, too many other things on my mind, as you might imagine?

No, no, I get it... I should let it drop. I'm sorry.  It's just painful to see people lose everything because their government - with public support - has no interest in trying to help them.  I don't mean to be adding stress to you when you're in the middle of this.  :(  Volcanic disasters hit home for me because they're always a threat here too.  The whole south side of the Reykjavík metro area is built on relatively young lava, and the volcano that made it still very much has an active magma chamber.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:23:44 PM by KarenRei »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2018, 05:44:10 PM »
I fill a glass measuring cup with half a cup of tapwater and set it in a microwave for 30 minutes.  The microwave will deliver energy to the water at a constant rate

A minute and a half in (stopped the microwave a bit late), and the water is at a nice healthy rolling boil.  The temperature has risen from tapwater temperature to boiling.
If insignificant:::: Put your hand in the microwave for the first minute and a half...   ::)
...Please don't....Please don't...Please don't...

...Also tell everyone that heats their water up less than 100 C in their home, they should call their supplier & pay nothing for that part of the electric/gas bill as it is really insignificant ...
Please don't.... Please don't....Please don't

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
You did not really run your microwave for half an hour, Must be snowing or really boring In Iceland today. Proving that harnessed magma translates to cheap power.
Either way I hope everyone and crops in Puna are safe from sulfer and lava alike. so many earthquakes and being told there is a missile headed your way in a short period of time sounds stressful.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »
Karenrei, like in the video of the Pahoa city council (I think that was the meeting structure) some people believe that Pele is alive.  Pele I guess is not just the volcano, but also the lava is an extension of that spirit.  That spirit must be respected, respect being don't do anything to it.   This could have something to do with the demigod Maui.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
You did not really run your microwave for half an hour, Must be snowing or really boring In Iceland today. Proving that harnessed magma translates to cheap power.
Either way I hope everyone and crops in Puna are safe from sulfer and lava alike. so many earthquakes and being told there is a missile headed your way in a short period of time sounds stressful.

15 minutes; I stopped it when the cup ran dry.  And yeah, it was actually snowing today  ;)  Blame Canada.  No oil burned in the generation of that power, don't worry  :)  We're 100% renewable.

Oh geez, I forgot about that false missile alert several months back... Hawaii just can't catch a break  :Þ

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2018, 02:41:34 AM »
Of course, even this was decades old tech (before we even had computer modeling), let alone the century-old tech last attempted on Hawaii  :)

Modelling. HA! Our DMV is still tracking cars with 3x5 cards and a typewriter. I wish I was joking. You know how DMV is sometimes slow, well wait until the nice aunty gets the typewriter unjammed.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
Oscar - we are glad to hear all is well with you, family, property. 

Karen - fascinating info.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2018, 09:18:38 AM »
Read this morning that there are new vents that opened up very close to Highway 130, which is really bad news -- that's the main highway going through that area and has the potential to really cut off those communities like Oscar said.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »
Cut off? I don't think so. Just a longer drive. It would make it about 45 minutes to Pahoa instead of 20 for the area Oscar is in.
A fluid situation so who knows what will happen.

Read this morning that there are new vents that opened up very close to Highway 130, which is really bad news -- that's the main highway going through that area and has the potential to really cut off those communities like Oscar said.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »
Oops, Bush2Beach beat me to it ...

I think, at present, it will not cut off anyone but the alternate route (Rt 132 to 137) is smaller and circuitous and will be a real pain in the rump for anyone living down that way.  (It is my understanding that an alternate short cut, Pohoiki Rd., has already been cut.)  However, in another month, that roundabout route may also cease to exist.  Let's hope that Pele gets it out of her system soon & things calm down again.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2018, 06:41:21 PM »
Oh, good.  I didn't realize there was a backup route!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2018, 09:31:48 PM »
Oops, Bush2Beach beat me to it ...

I think, at present, it will not cut off anyone but the alternate route (Rt 132 to 137) is smaller and circuitous and will be a real pain in the rump for anyone living down that way.  (It is my understanding that an alternate short cut, Pohoiki Rd., has already been cut.)  However, in another month, that roundabout route may also cease to exist.  Let's hope that Pele gets it out of her system soon & things calm down again.
Takes me 40 minutes to drive to Pahoa instead of usual 20. Now i have to go scenic coastal road. I don't mind except it eats up a lot more gas and time.
There is no alternate route in Pohilki being cut. What is happening is that they want to pave alternate road through Red road (137) in Waa Waa into HPP subdivision. But that will take months i guess. The roundabout is in zero danger John, Pahoa is in zero danger. The 61g flow that went into Pahoa in 2014 is now totally dead. The vent that supplied that flow fro Puu O'o vent does not exist any more. Floor of Puu O'o collapsed after the big 6.9 quake.
The steaming cracks above Hwy 130 (on Alaili Dr.) are not directly above me. If lava started flowing there it would go across Hwy. 130 around the 14 mile marker. That would close that highway, but that highway is closed to traffic already because of cracks and gas. Bigger problem if highway 130 gets flowed on is that it would cut electrical power to our area. But we have solar and a back up generator. If power gets cut i would probably lose internet connection. So you may not hear from me for quite a while if that happens.
My biggest worry is that Leilani flow will start up again. Right now Pele is taking a "lunch break" and flow on all fissures is totally dead. If the lava starts flowing in big quantity again there in Leilani the flow would go towards Pohiki coastal road and cut off only existing way out, road 137, known here as Red Road. Seems like Pele is not finished because there was a huge intrusion of lava from lava lake in Halemaumau. The floor of the lake sank there 700 feet. All that lava went somewhere obviously. But where is not clear. I can't believe they can't map it using satellite imagery or infrared? I guess it might be down to deep for the instruments to sense it? Either that or they just don't want to panic us? I don't know. The best scenario would be if it popped up from bottom of ocean, which is possible because lots of quakes under the ocean.
On totally different topic:
Been noticing some interesting damage to fruit tree leaves from sulphur dioxide gases. A few trees have leaves browning. Worst hit was my tropical walnut (Juglans neotropica). All the leaves are fried. But that tree is deciduous, so i think it will be ok. Santol also dropping browned leaves. Most other fruit trees are ok with little or zero sign of damage. Some ornamentals damaged, like hibiscus and angel's trumpet. Ferns very hard hit, crisped. Right now it is raining and that helps a lot as sulphur dioxide is water soluble. If trade winds pick up that would also help a lot to disperse gases. Fortunately have not had to use respirator at all so far.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
Please be advised there is a whole lot of fake news going on.
Just saw this headline from Fox News:
Is Hawaii's Kilauea volcano going to explode? What Mount St. Helens and other eruptions have taught us.
Kilauea is very different type of volcano from Mt. St. Helens. There is possibility of ground water intrusion into Halemaumau crater due to lava level drop. That would cause rocks and ash to go flying. Some towns may be dusted with ash, like Volcano village and Pahala. But that has zero danger of life loss. National park is already closed so don't think any visitor will be hurt either.
That headline is totally alarmist and fake. For real news, if you want it, you can go to USGS or Hawaii Civil Defense websites. There is also plenty of fake news on social media websites. So don't believe everything you read there.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2018, 10:12:34 PM »
Oscar, thanks for link to USGS site I make a point of looking at it a couple times a day it has great updates every day! Bummer that you have a longer drive an I hope Pele takes a break so all you folks can relax ! Hope the trade winds pick up so you get a break from gas too.Hope your plants recover OK and you don't loose power, hang in there hope Pele is done for now!

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »

Takes me 40 minutes to drive to Pahoa instead of usual 20. Now i have to go scenic coastal road. I don't mind except it eats up a lot more gas and time.
There is no alternate route in Pohilki being cut.  I thought I read something about Pohoiki Rd being cut -- I think I have the right name, it is the one that dumps you out right by Isaac Hale Beach.  That is a small road but at least it would prevent having to make the big loop around.

What is happening is that they want to pave alternate road through Red road (137) in Waa Waa into HPP subdivision. But that will take months i guess. The roundabout is in zero danger John, Pahoa is in zero danger.   I realize that there is nothing threatening Pahoa at this point.  I had not heard anything abou the other road being threatened  yet but I had heard somewhere that this was more or less following the east rift.  If so & if it continues on that course, it seems it would eventually endanger the roundabout road (Rt 137).The 61g flow that went into Pahoa in 2014 is now totally dead. The vent that supplied that flow fro Puu O'o vent does not exist any more. Floor of Puu O'o collapsed after the big 6.9 quake.
The steaming cracks above Hwy 130 (on Alaili Dr.) are not directly above me. If lava started flowing there it would go across Hwy. 130 around the 14 mile marker. That would close that highway, but that highway is closed to traffic already because of cracks and gas. Bigger problem if highway 130 gets flowed on is that it would cut electrical power to our area. But we have solar and a back up generator. If power gets cut i would probably lose internet connection. So you may not hear from me for quite a while if that happens.
My biggest worry is that Leilani flow will start up again. Right now Pele is taking a "lunch break" and flow on all fissures is totally dead. If the lava starts flowing in big quantity again there in Leilani the flow would go towards Pohiki coastal road and cut off only existing way out, road 137, known here as Red Road. Seems like Pele is not finished because there was a huge intrusion of lava from lava lake in Halemaumau. The floor of the lake sank there 700 feet. All that lava went somewhere obviously. But where is not clear. I can't believe they can't map it using satellite imagery or infrared? I guess it might be down to deep for the instruments to sense it? Either that or they just don't want to panic us? I don't know. The best scenario would be if it popped up from bottom of ocean, which is possible because lots of quakes under the ocean.
On totally different topic:
Been noticing some interesting damage to fruit tree leaves from sulphur dioxide gases. A few trees have leaves browning. Worst hit was my tropical walnut (Juglans neotropica). All the leaves are fried. But that tree is deciduous, so i think it will be ok. Santol also dropping browned leaves. Most other fruit trees are ok with little or zero sign of damage. Some ornamentals damaged, like hibiscus and angel's trumpet. Ferns very hard hit, crisped. Right now it is raining and that helps a lot as sulphur dioxide is water soluble. If trade winds pick up that would also help a lot to disperse gases. Fortunately have not had to use respirator at all so far.  I hope Pele has had her say and will now keep quiet for a while.  I hope that most of your collection has no lasting damage.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2018, 02:08:20 AM »
Latest earthquakes indicate lava has moved furthered down the rift zone to area below intersection of Hwy 132 and Noni Farms road. Hope it does not come up close to 132 as that would block our exit out. And would block everyone's exit that lives on the coastal Red road. I think they are going to have to open 130 back up if that happens. All they need to do is throw some metal plates over existing 4 inch cracks in pavement. There is no steam coming out of those cracks, at least not yet.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
Is Hawaii's Kilauea volcano going to explode? What Mount St. Helens and other eruptions have taught us.

***facepalm***  The stupid, it burns...

Does Hawaii maintain stockpiled construction equipment and roadbuilding / bridgebuilding supplies for rapid response to volcanic events (e.g. for road rerouting) like we do here? I guess you have more of a challenge with needing to clear vegetation (also, I don't know if your ground is predominantly pahoehoe or a'a; we're mostly a'a here, and it's a real pain to work with).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:40:04 AM by KarenRei »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
Latest earthquakes indicate lava has moved furthered down the rift zone to area below intersection of Hwy 132 and Noni Farms road. Hope it does not come up close to 132 as that would block our exit out. And would block everyone's exit that lives on the coastal Red road. I think they are going to have to open 130 back up if that happens. All they need to do is throw some metal plates over existing 4 inch cracks in pavement. There is no steam coming out of those cracks, at least not yet.

Be safe Oscar, like everything else this shall pass too.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2018, 06:23:42 PM »

***facepalm***  The stupid, it burns...

Does Hawaii maintain stockpiled construction equipment and roadbuilding / bridgebuilding supplies for rapid response to volcanic events (e.g. for road rerouting) like we do here? I guess you have more of a challenge with needing to clear vegetation (also, I don't know if your ground is predominantly pahoehoe or a'a; we're mostly a'a here, and it's a real pain to work with).
Most of the lava in rift zone is a'a lava. Yes ofcourse the state and county have lots of construction equipment. The national guard is also on the scene and they also have lots of equipment also. But nothing here happens fast, and once an event ends everyone forgets that another could soon happen. For example, in 2014 there was an event where lava almost flowed into Pahoa and came close to flowing over our one and only road into the area, highway 130. During that time the government worked on opening up two alternate roads, one along the coast and one inside Volcano Naitonal park. The road established in the park got since flowed over, and was never reopened or bypassed. The road along the coast the improvements were soon abandoned, and forgotten. I think that was really reckless. We need those roads right now! I hope this wakes up government a little bit? But not holding my breath.
Oscar

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2018, 04:02:31 AM »
Victoria neeson​  highway 132 has started to crack... some big cracks and land deformation