Author Topic: Help: Mango  (Read 1384 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Help: Mango
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »
I have a very small mango seedling (Manilla) that has some orange spots on the leafs. Is this red rust or sunburn? I believe it was shaded prior to me getting the tree and I put it in full sun for a while.
It is now starting to have new leaves but growth is slow. I have it in partial shade currently during hottest part of the day.

Do I need to remove the afflicted leaves?

Thanks,

-Kris

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Help: Mango
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:33:20 PM »
Bacterial spot and antracnose. Spray with copper oxychloride and thiophanate-methyl. Repeat copper treatment after 10 days.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 01:01:47 PM »
I am growing this tree for the wife... who is super against fungicides, pesticides... etc.
Would Neem oil work on this?
-Kris

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
I lost many mangos because of my stance against chemicals. Mangos are my only exception in my garden. I tested need oil at 2% plus pine oil 1% and no results. Only against aphids.
Copper Bordeaux mix is considered 'natural' in organic gardening, however this is only preventive not curative. You need to cut off the affected leaves and throw them into garbage, but you will still have bacteria on your stem.
Mango takes full sun very easily,  unfortunately these plants are very easy to get sick.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
It's been afflicted like this for a couple weeks. I haven't noticed any spread. I think I'll cut these leaves out and try some neem oil and see how that goes. probably monitor it for a week and go from there. I need to mix up some spray (neem+peppermint oil) to deal with some bugs on my other trees anyways.

If this doesn't work, is there a ready made mix available? I believe I would only use it on this tree. or where would be the best place to locate these chemicals?
-Kris

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »
Be careful with neem oil, on mango the new leaves will be burnt, especially if you put them in sun.
Bordeaux mixture is easily found at least in Europe, try to search for "copper fungicide" in US.
Thiophanate-methyl is the best for mango treatment, a systemic fungicide and it stays inside the plant up to 6 months and the plant really grows and sets fruit well. I would not suggest you this chemical as far as I can see you are not prepared to use harsh pesticides. You need proper equipment to use it as it is hazardous, also it leaves a toxic residue. This is used on tropical plantations, and most likely the mangoes in supermarkets were treated with this. It requires proper timing and precautions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk