Author Topic: Green gold avocado tree  (Read 4305 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Green gold avocado tree
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
Does anyone have a mature green gold avo tree?  Need input on size, shape, vigor of this type.  Big tree?  Column or spreading?
Brad Spaugh

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Green gold avocado tree
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
Lots of info here (also other avo trees):

http://www.avocadosource.com/AvocadoVarieties/QueryDB.asp

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »
Awesome website.  Thank you Jack. 
Brad Spaugh

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
You can also look at the www.epicenteravocados.com 'varieties' page. I can't find an email or phone number for them but Epicenter seems like folks you might want to talk to.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01:22:37 PM »
You can also look at the www.epicenteravocados.com 'varieties' page. I can't find an email or phone number for them but Epicenter seems like folks you might want to talk to.

Haha, everyone wants to talk to them but they don't want to talk (or sell trees).  I already got a tree, just trying to decide where to put it.  I am trying to not put large spreading trees right next to one another.  The info says medium upright growth
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:41:13 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
That's too bad about Epicenter. I was hoping to get a tree from them in the future. Good luck with yours!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
Its spreading and droopy. Not productive at my location and I have been considering top working.
I bought the tree from Epicenter 6 years ago .
 Your not missing out on anything.
Just graft any Avo rootstock, You'll be much better off.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:01:29 PM »
That bad huh?  Do you have a pic of the tree?  I already got a 15gal tree, just wondering where to put it.
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:50:06 PM »
The tree has grown all right in a less than desireable location ( Not quite enough sun initially but it grew into it).
It's planted within 1 mile of the coast summer fog and cooler coastal conditions . I thought initially it being a Hawaiian strain may not fruit well here . Your conditions are much warmer than mine and you could have totally different results. I haven't tried the fruit. Plant it out! The more Avocado cross pollination the better.

That bad huh?  Do you have a pic of the tree?  I already got a 15gal tree, just wondering where to put it.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:59:42 AM »
I got mine from epicenter also. It is spreading and droopy. More bushy than Pinkerton and holiday.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 02:35:50 AM »
ill take a picture of mine tomorrow and post
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 04:54:02 PM »
I planted a 5g tree last year. The former leader of the tree has already been overshadowed by a lower branch that started growing sideways and had to be trained up. I hope I can coerce it to grow vertically. At least it seems to be hardy enough for 9b.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 02:54:51 AM »
Should you leave the droopy avocado trees to remain droopy and right or pull them upright? Same thing is happening for me where branches starting lower down are reaching upwards and surpassing the gusher branches.

Elijah

• United States, California, San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 11:53:57 AM »
Its spreading and droopy. Not productive at my location and I have been considering top working.

How is your Green Gold avocado tree doing?  I am trying to buy the tree but Epic center seemed  out of the stock. He didn't reply to my email. I hope I can get scions from you if I cannot find the tree.

Elijah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 11:57:17 AM »

Haha, everyone wants to talk to them but they don't want to talk (or sell trees).  I already got a tree, just trying to decide where to put it.  I am trying to not put large spreading trees right next to one another.  The info says medium upright growth
[/quote]

You are right.  I sent an email to Epic center to buy an Green Gold but they didn't bother to response.  I assume it is out of stock. How is your tree doing. it must be bearing fruit by now.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2023, 02:21:16 PM »
The fruit are good but I think sharwil is better.  I don't really see the point of this tree compared to sharwil.  Nothing about it is better than sharwil. 
Brad Spaugh

Avofan

• Oakland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2023, 12:52:54 PM »
The fruit are good but I think sharwil is better.  I don't really see the point of this tree compared to sharwil.  Nothing about it is better than sharwil. 

The Green Gold is supposed to be A type for us in Northern California who can’t get most B type to make fruit because we don’t have enough warmth in spring.
Mine I had under shade cloth for a while, not looking very happy, so I moved it into full sun. It dropped the leaves but has strong new leaves coming in. It’s interesting how some avocado trees want sun more than others. This one seems like it needs the sun to be happy though many of them do really well in the shade.

Epicenter opens orders on January 1st and a lot of things will sell out so you have to set a reminder to order. It’s not so much a nursery as a home grafting business so they don’t have everything in stock all year round.

Elijah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2023, 12:57:27 PM »

Is it possible to get scions before top working ( if you do or even if you don't)? I am planning to graft  next spring ( I heard Spring is the best time to graft.)

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »
Yeah , I have a huge green gold tree from epicenter that has never fruited. 10+ years old

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2023, 02:53:54 PM »

The Green Gold is supposed to be A type for us in Northern California who can’t get most B type to make fruit because we don’t have enough warmth in spring.
Mine I had under shade cloth for a while, not looking very happy, so I moved it into full sun. It dropped the leaves but has strong new leaves coming in. It’s interesting how some avocado trees want sun more than others. This one seems like it needs the sun to be happy though many of them do really well in the shade.

Epicenter opens orders on January 1st and a lot of things will sell out so you have to set a reminder to order. It’s not so much a nursery as a home grafting business so they don’t have everything in stock all year round.

I doubt this tree will even produce in northern CA. 
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2023, 12:04:48 AM »
Yeah I stated that in the previous post that my 10+ year old grafted tree from Epicenter has not fruited in Nor Cal. Planted amongst a bunch of other Avocado varieties.
If Epicenter were forthcoming with information , We could all know if they're mother tree has fruited and have further data on if this was a viable avocado
for Nor Cal.
If anyone is selling grafted Avocado tree's from this forum, you are better off purchasing from them .

Elijah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2023, 12:19:01 PM »
Yeah , I have a huge green gold tree from epicenter that has never fruited. 10+ years old

I am hoping it will fruit in SoCal. It is supposed to be prolific fruit bearer. Thank you. Let me pm you in spring.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2023, 01:46:18 PM »
I have a tree, its not prolific.  Sharwil produces more and grows better and tastes better. 
Brad Spaugh

Elijah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2023, 05:03:54 PM »
I have a tree, its not prolific.  Sharwil produces more and grows better and tastes better.
oh darn. I hoped it could grow well in San Diego but you already have experience with it.

I wonder if I can get some Sharwil scions from you next spring. I have about 20 avocado seedlings, some died from heat, but I still have  plenty of them to graft.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2023, 05:18:46 PM »
I will definitely be selling sharwil scions in December, January and maybe early February.  Beyond that, the scions are not good because the buds already have got past the point you want them for grafting.  I have almost perfect grafting results in mid and late December.
Brad Spaugh