Author Topic: Planting papaya seeds  (Read 1017 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Planting papaya seeds
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:41:52 AM »
My GF asked me for her friend what is the best way to plant papaya seeds to get the best germination rate. I've planted them dried, cleaned and fresh, fresh not cleaned, after the fruit was refrigerated and I even have had some sprout at a location 2 years after I removed a tree. So it seems as if the seeds can stay viable even after many moons and exposure to other variables.

But... The question was what is the BEST method but I do not know that. Anyone here have experience on this?
Regards,

Gary

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
Re: Planting papaya seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »
germination rate is high, basically no matter what you do.
fresher seeds are better though.

there is a small gel-sac around each seed.
some poop it, and it might germinate a little faster
but, i leave it on.
it keeps the seed from drying out.
it might prolong germination, but, i think it is healthier with the sac
(in the long run) than without it.

i would clean and dry the seeds with the sac on
and then plant ASAP after.
or, do not dry them... i havent seen a lot of difference.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Planting papaya seeds
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
My GF asked me for her friend what is the best way to plant papaya seeds to get the best germination rate. I've planted them dried, cleaned and fresh, fresh not cleaned, after the fruit was refrigerated and I even have had some sprout at a location 2 years after I removed a tree. So it seems as if the seeds can stay viable even after many moons and exposure to other variables.

But... The question was what is the BEST method but I do not know that. Anyone here have experience on this?
Best way is to buy good seed from the professionals. This seed is professional quality, packed in sealed foil packs, great germination.
Best of all a very high percentage are female or hermaphrodite. I don't know exactly how they do it, but out of 50 trees planted not a single male tree. This makes growing & transplanting very easy as you can be close to certain what you plant will bear fruit.
Very reasonable prices considering the quality you get. 
http://www.alohaseed.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk