Author Topic: My mango tree does not appear to be a Mun Kun Si  (Read 5225 times)

jorge_cima

• Zone 10B, South Florida
    • View Profile
My mango tree does not appear to be a Mun Kun Si
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:28:05 AM »
Hi Folks,

So I purchased a "Mun Kun Si" mango tree from Top Tropicals about 4-5 years ago.  The tree bloomed last year but the fruit stayed tiny (about 2.5" long), and felled off.  This year it did set about 15 fruits, I just dont think they are Mun Kun Si, at least from the photos and characteristics I have seen online. The fruit starts turning completely yellow and acquire a  little bit of an orange / pinkish hue as it gets close to the stem. They have the typical shape of South East asian mangos , "s" shape  sort of rounded on top, more rounded than Nam Docs.
One of the characteristics I am hoping could help someone identify the fruit is that they have a small protuberance close to the stem.  This protuberance looks more like a small "beak" and, as the fruit ripens and turns yellow, it becomes more pointy and sharp.  It is not present on all fruits, but many of them have it. 
On these photos, the top mango has the "beak", the bottom one does not.  They are about 6" long each. Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:09:44 PM by jorge_cima »

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: My mango tree does not appear to be a Mun Kun Si
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 03:00:38 PM »
They do not look like my MKS. 

jorge_cima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:10:55 PM »
Thank you Sleepdoc.  I dont think they are either.  Mine turn completely yellow and keep a pinkish hue as it gets closer to the stem, sort of like a Maha Chanok color.  They are very firm and, as I mention on my first post, some of them exhibit a protuberance close to the stem.  I could have sworn I have seen that little mound on the description of some other type of mango, I just cant remember which one.  Somehow I suspect this mango is "evolving" and hopefully next year it will be a much better mango. Last year all I got were some really tiny mangos, they ripened and most of them felled off. But none of them reached a large size.    At least this year they grew to about 6 inches in length.  Lets see what it does next season.

Thanks again.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »
Rosigold sometimes has that protuberance growth near the stem of the fruit. I've seen pics of some Cali cvs. that has that as well. Sorry to hear TT's label wasn't accurate. Fruit looks pretty though. Reminds me of PSM (Pim Sane Mun) mango- a favorite of mines among the asian cvs.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

jorge_cima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »

Sleepdoc

If Mun Kun See is a Polyembrionic mango I would love to buy a seed from you.  Are you willing to sell me a seed if I send you a label for a small USPS priority mail box? 
Thanks!

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »
T

Sleepdoc

If Mun Kun See is a Polyembrionic mango I would love to buy a seed from you.  Are you willing to sell me a seed if I send you a label for a small USPS priority mail box? 
Thanks!

Photos above were from a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately this year I only have very few on the tree.  Those that I do have are already spoken for.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
The mis Labelled  tree you got is a Pim sen Mun.

A correctly Labelled tree from that establishment is probably a rare occurrence.

jorge_cima

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
Pim sen Mun!  Thank You Squan256!   
They are very firm and the skin is very thin.  The seed not so thin.  Flavor is not bad, not very complex and lacking the acidity of Florida Mangos like Kent, for example, but they are sweet.  Overall not a bad mango.
I was hoping to get a very late producer like they describe the Mun Kun Si.  On the plus side, the tree appears to be compact and maybe next year production increases. Production this year was nothing to write home about, just like my Nam Doc. It produced about 15 to 20 mangos, but the tree is also about 7 ft, hopefully it will increase next season.

As far as the incorrect labeled tree, I must confess that the only luck I've had with TT is some Adenium soil I bought from them.  It has worked really well for my adeniums and they are blooming for the first time in five years.  But as far as fruit trees, I bought a Maha Chanok from them and when I pulled it out of the box it was completely dehydrated.  I called them to let them know and they told me to put it in the shade and not to over-water it, that it would recover.  It was a slow death for the tree as I suspected, but they never returned my money.  Oh Well, I dont hold grudges, maybe I will be luckier next time.
Thank You All.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 08:41:16 PM »
Pim Sen Mun is one of my favorite varieties ripe, but Thais usually value it mature-green, for grating into Thai Mango Salad.
Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 08:49:19 PM »
They are called Rabaul and Cedar Bay here and none in the pics look like them.I have posted pics before but they are a long elephant tusk style that is valued green and ripens to a deep orange. They are a good quality mango ripe in the SE Asian style being low on acidity and have no taint. The seed is atrophied but long and flat with a small embryo at the proximal end.They do grow true from seeds.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 12:37:43 AM »

This one looks like thai munkunsi which cost 20 baht/kg.....namdocmai costs 40-50. Munkunsi is just a normal mango, many others cost much more because we like it better.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 02:14:28 AM »
Sunny similar I think but doesn't look elongated enough with the flipped back tip. Named after the Mun River I presume and it is wider than a mile.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »
My MKS is from budwood I collected at the Fruit and Spice Park in Homestead Florida.  I attended a grafting class taught by Chris Rollins (former curator of the Fruit and Spice Park in Homestead Fl), and he allowed some of us to collect a few scions after his lecture.  I do not know the source or history behind the tree.  Mr. Rollins would likely be able to give a history, but from what I've heard, he no longer resides in Florida. 

jorge_cima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 11:59:08 AM »
Is the description of this mango accurate in your experience? Top Tropicals nursery describes it as a very late mango: " It is a very late producer, fruit may still be on a tree as late as January."  My understanding is that here in Florida it is ready much earlier than that.

Thanks

Sunny similar I think but doesn't look elongated enough with the flipped back tip. Named after the Mun River I presume and it is wider than a mile.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »
I have had late fruit on the tree.  Definitely not until January though.  It can produce multiple crops, early, mid, and/or late.  This is one of its positive qualities. I would say the range being from April/May until September/October, but that is just going off of memory. 

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
The mis Labelled  tree you got is a Pim sen Mun.

A correctly Labelled tree from that establishment is probably a rare occurrence.

Stopped by there twice to look at trees.  I found a few trees that I had been looking for a while.  Hope they are properly labeled, who knows?  I was disappointed by the fact that some of their trees were heavily infested with various insects that no one but me seemed to notice or care about.  Many of their trees were just not vigorous for one reason or another. 

I did get a few trees like I said, just because they were hard to find, assuming they are what they were labeled.  But - I set them off to the side and quarantined them.  I also treated them with Neem Oil, followed by a systemic pesticide.  Even if they are improperly labeled, I still plan on keeping them, but it is doubtful I will go back. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 10:11:12 PM »
I checked what was written on some of the main green eating Thai mangoes in my area and 3 of them are very similar and they are,
Lin Ngo Hou
Origin
Thailand
Synonyms
Cobra Tongue
Fruit description
Lin Ngo Hou is dark green and has a strong bittersweet flavour when eaten green. The fruit is thin with a distinctive elongated 'S' shape and polyembryonic seed.
Comments
Similar in shape to the Cedar Bay variety.
Nan Klangwan
Origin
Thailand
Synonyms
Elephants tusk, Nang Klang Wan, Nangsangwon, MG 184, Nga Chan, Nuwun Chan, Hong Xiang, Ya-9
Fruit description
Nan Klangwan is an elongated green fruit with a curved, tapering tip and polyembryonic seed. The fruit has an average weight of 300 g with a mild flavour. Nan Klangwan is a medium-to-large tree with a dense, spreading canopy.
Comments
Nan Klangwan is exported to Japan from Thailand. This variety is grown widely throughout East Asia; hence the many synonyms. Nan Klangwan is also eaten ripe.
Cedar Bay
Origin
South East Asia
Synonyms
Raboul, Golek, New Guinea long, Foo Fat, Ma 162
Fruit description
Cedar Bay is an elongated green fruit with a polyembryonic seed. Fruit can be quite large, weighing up to 800 g, with an average weight of 490 g.
Comments
This variety, or types very similar to it, are grown in many Asian countries and consumed as green eating fruit.
Pim Sane Mun
Origin
Thailand
Fruit description
This variety is green with no blush. It is elongated in shape.
Comments
Mun means Fatty. This cultivar has one of the strongest nutty flavours of the green eating types. Pim Sane Mun tends to produce many nubbins in the cooler growing regions. In Thailand, the nubbins are sold in the local markets as seedless mangoes.

I was mistaken about Cedar Bay/Rabaul being the same thing as the variety in question.

jorge_cima

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »
Pim Sane Mun
Origin
Thailand
Fruit description
This variety is green with no blush. It is elongated in shape.
Comments
Mun means Fatty. This cultivar has one of the strongest nutty flavours of the green eating types. Pim Sane Mun tends to produce many nubbins in the cooler growing regions. In Thailand, the nubbins are sold in the local markets as seedless mangoes.

I was mistaken about Cedar Bay/Rabaul being the same thing as the variety in question.

Well, now am confused,  my "Pim Sane Mun" do not stay green.  They turn greenish yellow (more yellow than nam docs) on the tree.  Then they take about three days to turn completely yellow as they become ripe.  Byt mine definitely have a blush (orange pinkish blush) before they turn completely canary yellow.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »
Yes, this last description matches the 'Pim Sen Mun' that I work with.
Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »
The ones in the first pic don't look like a Thai green eating mango. Some okrung fruit can look like that however.

jorge_cima

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »
Well, I think I've decided to let the tree continue occupying space on my yard.  I have pruned it to a small size and it does not take much space.  This year it produced about 20 mangos and it is only about 7 ft tall.   Hopefully next year the fruit will continue improving and the production will increase.

Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk