Author Topic: mango or cherimoya...cherimoya fruit quality the same in container as in ground?  (Read 1759 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
so my lemon tree finally died....when we moved in it was already in bad shape.  I tried to save it but it finally croaked.  So mango or cherimoya?  I already have two mango trees in ground but wouldn't mind another.  No cherimoya in ground yet but I have lots of room for container trees and only one spot in ground.  And I feel cherimoya fruits better in pot vs. mangos.  Does being in a container effect the quality of fruit for cherimoya?  I  don't mind a couple fruit a tree but is the quality of the fruit is the same? What's your thought?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:14:37 AM by boxturtle »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
In my experience, my in ground Cherimoya and Mango have been better tasting than the potted fruit. I’m sure if you’re really on top of your fertilization schedule, you probably wouldn’t notice a difference. I’m just guessing but I believe this is caused by the washing away of minerals/fertilizers from the soil of potted plants due to frequent watering. My Cherimoya in a pot still tasted good but if I recall correctly, it was 1-2% Brix lower than what I get compared to my in ground tree. The variety was HoneyHart.

Potted Mangos I’ve tried are Sweet Tart and Mallika. Mallika is inconsistent anyways but the potted Sweet Tart was still good, from memory.

It’s a toss up, I’d go with the fruit you want to eat more.

Simon

boxturtle

• View Profile
In my experience, my in ground Cherimoya and Mango have been better tasting than the potted fruit. I’m sure if you’re really on top of your fertilization schedule, you probably wouldn’t notice a difference. I’m just guessing but I believe this is caused by the washing away of minerals/fertilizers from the soil of potted plants due to frequent watering. My Cherimoya in a pot still tasted good but if I recall correctly, it was 1-2% Brix lower than what I get compared to my in ground tree. The variety was HoneyHart.

Potted Mangos I’ve tried are Sweet Tart and Mallika. Mallika is inconsistent anyways but the potted Sweet Tart was still good, from memory.

It’s a toss up, I’d go with the fruit you want to eat more.

Simon

Thank you simon...how big was the container for your sweet tart and mallika?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
so my lemon tree finally died....when we moved in it was already in bad shape.  I tried to save it but it finally croaked.  So mango or cherimoya?  I already have two mango trees in ground but wouldn't mind another.  No cherimoya in ground yet but I have lots of room for container trees and only one spot in ground.  And I feel cherimoya fruits better in pot vs. mangos.  Does being in a container effect the quality of fruit for cherimoya?  I  don't mind a couple fruit a tree but is the quality of the fruit is the same? What's your thought?

I would go with Cherimoya in ground. you already have mangoes and they are very high maintenance in So Cal with diseases. Also, Cherimoya season starts at end of mango season here.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Best of both worlds - bottomless RootBuilder pots.  Roots root into native soil and reap the nutrients and water you applied to this "raised bed" top down.  You have more control, no root spin out or girdling, can expand the pot at any time creating a very fibrous efficient root system in a smaller "pot".

boxturtle

• View Profile
Best of both worlds - bottomless RootBuilder pots.  Roots root into native soil and reap the nutrients and water you applied to this "raised bed" top down.  You have more control, no root spin out or girdling, can expand the pot at any time creating a very fibrous efficient root system in a smaller "pot".

Mark the area I have available for containers is on a cement slab If not they would already be in ground :)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
In the ground although I’ve had equally great tasting moyas in pots. Talking about cherimoyas my last of a long season

Helmet and Trompo

boxturtle

• View Profile
thanks frank wow that troop looks kool!

In the ground although I’ve had equally great tasting moyas in pots. Talking about cherimoyas my last of a long season

Helmet and Trompo

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Mark the area I have available for containers is on a cement slab If not they would already be in ground :)

OK.  I'd still go with a root pruning system so you can get more for less regarding root mass.  Roots - that all I care about.  Rest will come on it's own.

Nice fruit Frank, as usual!