Author Topic: Fresh Nutmeg Seeds Available  (Read 1517 times)

luketrollope

• Australia QLD Julatten 16.4 degrees south 455 meters elevation
    • View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
Fresh Nutmeg Seeds Available
« on: June 15, 2018, 03:25:52 AM »
I am writing on behalf of my good friend Loui from Kerala in India. He has fresh nutmeg (Myristica fragrans) seed available at the moment. They are recalcitrant seeds and need to be very fresh and even then they can be tricky but they are vary rare outside the areas they are grown commercially. The trees are dioecious. It is little known as a fruit but the seeds, mace and fruit encasing the seed are all edible. Apparently an extract of the fruit is one of the secret ingredients in coca cola. The fruit itself is good with an unique taste.  If your interested please contact Loui at the following email address

loardvishnu@gmail.com 

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Nutmeg Seeds Available
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:58:56 PM »
 Knowing nutmeg trees and fruits (unpalatable) for over half a century since my childhood days in low land Tropics of Southern India this information about 'nutmeg' appears to be misleading and unacceptable.
Both the nutmeg seeds and the encircled red mace are valued as a spice and used in some Ayurvedic medicines. I request someone to please comment on this topic of nutmeg. Thanks.

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 08:25:38 PM »
Hi Triphal I find your tone unacceptable! What is misleading? All parts or the fruit are edible spices are edible. do I need to specify the thousands of uses for the mace and seed? Your Ayurvedic uses are only one of many.  The plant has only been grown in India for the last hundred years or so.

The fruit is interesting flavored even if you don't like it I do. They make a popular drink out of it in Penang. They also make a great pickle out of the fruit.

Google" coca cola recipe" if you don't believe me nutmeg is used in coca cola. Weather it is the fruit or seed I am unsure as the recipe is secret but I have heard it is the fruit.

I recommended you read the book "Nathaniel's Nutmeg" by Giles Milton if you would like to know more about this fascinating plant.

Better you stick to your zone 6b plants now than comment on things you recollect from your childhood.

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:47:36 PM »
To Luketrollope. Thank you for your timely comment. Please let me inform you that even I am in Zone 6B I have been spending since over 55 years twice a year 6 to 12 weeks in India between 13 and 14 degrees N and between 74 and 75 degrees E. We have been growing nutmegs also. Since I have retired I am helping other Nurseries and home owners, promoting ( Totally Non Commercial ) rare but useful low land tropical fruit trees from around the world.
My first known experience of nutmeg is probably 75 years ago. To me and us around that area this fruit is bland. That was what I meant. I am sorry for the 'tone', which was unfortunate.
 You can make jam , syrup, drinks or candies of any insipid non poisonous fruits. Just blend it and add lime or lemon or orange or tamarind or pineapple juice + some sweet component of cane or beet sugar or molasses or sorghum or maple syrup + optional cardamom powder. You can make it into an edible substance in less than an hour of cooking! Make ice cream with all sorts of milks and yogurts.
I have never seen any wild life including squirrels, bats nor mice relishing those yellow fruits. Neither those ants. But the cuckoo relishes the mace and the seed. I am now spending at least 4 months in an year at that zone of our over 200 years old ancestral home and farm. Sorry for my different 'wave length'. Thanks for your tip on that 'Coke' ingredient.

luketrollope

• View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »
Namaste Triphal and thanks for your kind words. I am glad to hear you spend time in your ancestral homeland in that beautiful part of India and I wish you well in promoting new fruit species  and varieties there. Maybe one day I will have a veg thali with a nutmeg pickle there thanks to you!

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
With regards to Triphal´s comment: " I am helping other Nurseries and home owners, promoting ( Totally Non Commercial ) rare but useful low land tropical fruit trees from around the world "     I would like to vouch on  Triphal´s  valuable knowledge and help he has conveyed to me on the flora of India.

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »
Thank you Doctor Sir for your kind words.
Just talked to my nephew. They had 'ekpani' (Centella asiatica) chutney, 'durvankur' (Cynodon dactylon / Burmuda grass) rasam and 'taikilo' ( Cassia tora) bajias and among others for lunch today. Will send you the recipe. Triphal