Author Topic: fertilization schedule and pollination of Guanabana  (Read 18761 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
fertilization schedule and pollination of Guanabana
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »
This video is from Colombia and in spanish. It talks about the fertilization schedule and and pollination of Guanabana(soursop) very interesting. Oscar please help in the translation

Fertilizacion de la Guanabana Colinagro

here is a video in portuguese talking about the incredible fertilizer celloron for the graviola
CELLERON GRAVIOLA - SP

http://www.follyfertil.com.br/

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:04:14 PM by JF »

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: fertilization schedule and pollination of Guanabana
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »
I also searched for which natural fertilizer i can use on my soursop but i only found advices for chemical ones.

Who can translate this video?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »
I also searched for which natural fertilizer i can use on my soursop but i only found advices for chemical ones.

Who can translate this video?

Feces de aves (guano) triple 15 foliar spray

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »
The guy in the video says that he has two kind of guanabanas. One requires manual pollination, which they perform from 5 to 9 in the morning, the other does not require manual pollination.

He also says that unlike other fruit trees, guanabana needs lots of fertilizer for good production. If it doesn't get enough nutrients, it aborts fruits and flowers. They apply four kind of fertilizers:
- Guano - bird manure
- NPK 15-15-15 every three month
- Organic matter (very important he says)
- Foliar fertilizer (doesn't tell what kind)

In my opinion this guy doens't have any scientific background. He just spills stuff into the ground without much knowledge, no high performance tecniques.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »
Im Using Coffee Grounds To fertilize My Guanabana Trees , So Far There are nice and green , i would like to keep it organic , i would like to use the leaves for tea..

Ed
Zone 10

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
In most places Guanabana trees will need extra Zinc to perform well.
Har

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:17:38 PM »
In the beginning he says that he started with 900 trees, 70 grafted and 830 seedlings (criollos) He said that he gets as much production from the 70 grafted trees than from the criollos. The grafted trees do not need hand pollenization  but the criollos they pollenize by hand every morning to get good production.  The  organic fertilizer is chicken manure. Clains that they need a lot of fertilizer to produce.
I wonder if we have that grafted variety in US?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »
My Mother In law lives in Colombia , she is going to send my some Colombian Giant Guanabana , It should be the same as the video.
Ed
Zone 10

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »
Ideally would be to get some of the bud wood for what they call "grafted" seems to be a superior variety.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »
My Mother In law lives in Colombia , she is going to send my some Colombian Giant Guanabana , It should be the same as the video.
Ed

Hello Ed.

I was fortunate enough to meet one of the big commercial growers in Colombia last week. ( he produces 1/3 of all the mangoes in the country ) he also spoke to me about the Giant Guanabana, which he also grows commercially, he uses some kind of freeze dried process for them.

He invited me to visit, but i cannot afford a trip to Colombia any time soon. I may try and ask him to mail me some seeds, but not sure if they would make it in the post. from Colombia to the D.R.

I so want to get seeds from this variety, have you had any luck?

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »
If the seeds are sent in a slightly moistened medium, such as sawdust, they should do well in a package for 2-3 weeks.
Har

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »
Thanks Guanabanus,  I have a question, regarding the seeds, do they generally come up true to parent?

I lucked out, seems some years back, the dept of agriculture, distributed a few Colombian Guanabana trees here in the DR. and I have found a source, I will be able to get a small tree soon.

I was wondering about the seeds, because I know a few people in the US may be interested in this variety.

Guanabana Colombiana
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »
Not necessarily true-to-mother-tree from seed, but if the seed came from a self-pollination, it will be very similar to mother tree.
Har

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
Hello Just Skype With My Mother Inlaw , She Is going to bring them with her on her summer vacation to my home , She has Over 100 Seeds From 1 Giant Colombian Guanabana , I have instructed her to buy 1 & 2 More , so that the count will be more like 300 seeds.. Will be in The Sit Case..

I will keep you posted.
Ed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:24:20 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »
Thanks Ed and Har
William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 04:17:37 AM »
If you know the name of the Colombian guanabana cultivar you may be able to get it from GRIN. They have cultivars in the Miami and Mayaguez experimental stations. Here at the Hawaii state experimental station i have seen also some guanabana cultivars, but i don't have a list of them at hand right now.
Oscar

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
Colombia probably has the greatest variation  and genetic resources of Guanabana.
Commercial varieties from there that are grown in Brazil are the 'Morada' (most recommended), the 'Lisa' (i.e., "smooth", not to be confounded with the Floridian atemoya), and the 'Blanca.'  A more recent selection in Colombia, by the ProFrutales company, is the 'Elita.'

A selection in the Philippines is the 'Aguinaldo'.

I have never had plants of any of these.

In many places soursops are simply categorized into three general types, "sour", "sweet", and "fiberless."
Har

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »
Har Thanks For The info, I will ask my Mother-inlaw to investigate those cultivars with the local growers to see if i can get my hands on those types of Guanabanas, so the Morada is the Best Guanabana Cultivar in Colombia ?
Zone 10

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »
The 'Morada' is (or at least was) the most recommended in Brazil:  most productive and less susceptible to trunk borer.  My information is from 1994.
Har

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
My guanabana is fully recovered from the arctic freeze back in Jan. It's 6' and spreading how long before it flowers??

panamaguy

• Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
Guanabana in Panama is very similar to guanabana in Colombia... there are 3 main varieties and then there are sub varieties.. (sweet, acid and semi-acid). Panama was once part of Colombia so many fauna and flora are the same.

The main problem here with growing guanabana is an insect that can bore through newer growth leaving an opening for fungus. It is not clear whether the insect carries the fungus or the hole just allows the fungus to grow.  I would like to hear if anyone has had any success treating this problem organically... Given the intense rainy season down here fungus can easily get a foothold and destroy new rees or newer growth on the tree. Guanabana is a very sensitive tree and has a lot of natural enemies.

Good fertilization is a must for guanabana fertilizer heavy in nitrogen and phosphorus is suggested for newer plantings. As time goes by a good 10-10-10 or close is better... boron especially and minors are important for health. Chicken manure is widely used here because it is so cheap.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »
I dealt with this branch borer when I was a teenager in northern Brazil.

Inspect your trees weekly.  Prune off infested branch and cut until you see that you have cut the grub or pupa in half.
Har

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »
Guanabana in Panama is very similar to guanabana in Colombia... there are 3 main varieties and then there are sub varieties.. (sweet, acid and semi-acid). Panama was once part of Colombia so many fauna and flora are the same.

The main problem here with growing guanabana is an insect that can bore through newer growth leaving an opening for fungus. It is not clear whether the insect carries the fungus or the hole just allows the fungus to grow.  I would like to hear if anyone has had any success treating this problem organically... Given the intense rainy season down here fungus can easily get a foothold and destroy new rees or newer growth on the tree. Guanabana is a very sensitive tree and has a lot of natural enemies.

Good fertilization is a must for guanabana fertilizer heavy in nitrogen and phosphorus is suggested for newer plantings. As time goes by a good 10-10-10 or close is better... boron especially and minors are important for health. Chicken manure is widely used here because it is so cheap.

I've use organic chicken manure and tripe 15. So far no fungus or insect problems some leave burn in the hot dry summer. here is a pic of my guanabana it has doing real well this summer

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:38:13 PM by JF »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:05 PM »
I have many flowers in my guanabana but they don't get pollinated. I tried it by hand but still don't know if it worked.

The ants now have a nest in the flower and it is full of black stuff that is the male pollen i guess. If i understood it right then the flowers start as female and if not get pollinated become male flowers with the black pollen. So probably that flower is not pollinated but it is still growing.

I found this site which is about all i can find about handpollination for guanabana

http://law-of-ming.blogspot.com/2011/03/hooked-by-soursop.html

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 01:11:36 AM »
Tim

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 03:03:21 AM »
Is this the seedless wonder we've been searching for?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2hBm9KXt4RU/TZApjb42a_I/AAAAAAAAAZM/gJ6BTt9iyOQ/s1600/ss+copy.jpg

I have no idea Tim, maybe we should email her?

I was looking for a website with good pictures about handpollination for soursop and i found that site. Maybe she took the seeds out or used gibberelic acid?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
Like most other species, Guanabana ("soursop") pollen is orange-yellow.  Black stuff would be dead/moldy stuff.
Har

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2hBm9KXt4RU/TZApjb42a_I/AAAAAAAAAZM/gJ6BTt9iyOQ/s1600/ss+copy.jpg

Har if you see pic#4 on that link there you see the black stuff that the ants made the nest from. They try to close the flower with that all the time but i open it 3 times a day. Yesterday all the leaves from that flower fell off and i guess now it will slowly get black and dry out and drop.
That happened will the flowers so far.

I also see orange on the black stuff so that might be the pollen then? And how can i use that to pollinate another flower which has only a tiny opening now? I opened that flower and blew some black stuff (probably with orange pollen on it) into the other flower and also saw ants in there allready. I have a small brush but those black things don't stick to the brush.

Do i have to collect some orange pollen on the brush and put that on a flower which has a tiny opening in the thick leaves? Or do i have to wait untill the flower opens by itself and then try to pollinate it?

There is almost no info about handpollinating soursop on the web. I have many more flowers coming so many more chances to try  ;D

And how should often should i give the tree zinc? I have zinc for foliar use with a sticker and gave it a foliar spray some days ago. Does it also need some on the soil?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
My Guanabana trees are doing well so far here in NE florida , 2 are close to 10ft tall looking good.
Lets see how they do this winter.

Ed..
Zone 10

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »
Some of us here believe that ants cause fruit set, presumably by pollinating.

To pollinate a female-stage flower by hand, one does have to force-open a wide-enough opening to stick in a finger, get some "stickum" on the finger, then stick the same finger into a container that one has gathered pollen in, then return the now-pollen-covered finger into the female stage flower.  Brushes don't work well with soursops.  [Bushes do work well with atemoyas, cherimoyas, sugar-apples, etc., that have three petals.]  Soursop pollen is gathered fresh after sunset, and is used immediately.
Har

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 02:16:46 AM »
Thanks a lot Har! I have big fun about the stickum, i should go to the shop here in Thailand and ask for that. :o

I have huge hands though so i will ask my wife to do it.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
Some of us here believe that ants cause fruit set, presumably by pollinating.

To pollinate a female-stage flower by hand, one does have to force-open a wide-enough opening to stick in a finger, get some "stickum" on the finger, then stick the same finger into a container that one has gathered pollen in, then return the now-pollen-covered finger into the female stage flower.  Brushes don't work well with soursops.  [Bushes do work well with atemoyas, cherimoyas, sugar-apples, etc., that have three petals.]  Soursop pollen is gathered fresh after sunset, and is used immediately.

Priceless information har:). Thanks

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »
My Guanabana trees are doing well so far here in NE florida , 2 are close to 10ft tall looking good.
Lets see how they do this winter.

Ed..

That's great Ed! My guanabanas are doing great, no flowers. The early mornings are now in the low to mid 50's and they are handling it very well. The big test will come mid December early January that's when it defoliated last season. This year they are on the ground and 9'.....good luck to you.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
Can I pluck a soursop flower in the female stage and keep it in a container to collect the pollen the next day ? Will the pollen be mature?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »
I don't know.  Try it and tell us how it turns out!
Har