Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211571 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #500 on: June 27, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
06-27-2015: Entry 2 of 3

Watermelon/Avocado Fruit Smoothie Recipe (*)

“Two amazingly refreshing summer snacks made from watermelon are watermelon smoothies and watermelon pops. For smoothies, cut a watermelon into small pieces and remove the seeds. Take about 2 cups of watermelon and put it into the blender. Add a cup of frozen strawberries and about a half cup of yogurt or kefir (or homemade almond milk) and a little honey (to taste). If you want it a bit thicker, add a frozen banana or even an avocado (try adding half an avocado to your smoothie and you’ll see how good it tastes). Blend and enjoy. For the watermelon pops, cut a watermelon into bite-sized pieces, remove the seeds, stick a toothpick in them and freeze. Enjoy!”

(*)
Watermelon’s Surprising Anti-Cancer Nutrients
http://thetruthaboutcancer.com/watermelon-anti-cancer-nutrients/
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 27, 2015, 10:49:28 PM »
06-27-2015: Entry 3 of 3

Carlos
Here is three pictures of the daisy fruit. The fruit is ready now nice buttery flavor.

That is really nice!  What's in its background, Dupuis, Pinkerton?

That looks just like my Pinkerton...I wonder if just mislabeled??
Jeff, perhaps TREESNMORE can share more insights on this variety; like: (1) What months of the year in S. Florida does the fruit ripen? (2) Is it a prolific fruit producer? (3) Is it an alternate bearer or consistent bearer of fruit? (4) And, what is TREESNMORE’s location again?

Also, be sure to check out Carlos' Website (*), he is growing a 'Daisy' avocado tree, and it is already a very nice size of a tree (see picture). With the method that Carlos uses to test avocado varieties, I would respectfully guess that his tree will have edible ripe fruit in about a year or so! But, Carlos is the expert, I'm sure he can shed more light/'info' about this.

Is Daisy a new variety or just one under a different name? It looks to me like a new sexy looking variety, I guess we'll see through either TREESNMORE and/or Carlos.

(*)   http://www.myavocadotrees.com/daisy-avocado.html
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:12:19 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 28, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
The Daisy tree did not set any fruit this year in its first flowering but I'm sure we'll see some next year.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 28, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
The Daisy tree did not set any fruit this year in its first flowering but I'm sure we'll see some next year.
I'm looking forward to it. In your web page, the 'Daisy' avocado tree is sure looking fine; thank you for the update.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 31, 2016, 08:22:47 PM »
Question: Has anyone removed all the bloom flowers from their 'Miracle' mango (also know as 'Chok-anon) in order to force ripe fruit production during the Winter Season (December - January) in South Florida?

This is exactly what I just did about 4 days ago.

A relative of mine that also lives in Miami, FL, also has a 'Miracle' mango tree, that started giving him ripe fruit production in the months of December - January (winter months), when the tree was just 20 feet tall. I've personally witnessed this myself. The tree was planted near the sidewalk that goes by his house. And, pedestrians would occasionally gawk in awe, when they look up and see ripening/ripe mangos during the months of December - January; when the mango season has been long over for all the other mango varieties.

My 'Miracle' mango tree is past 20' in height, and I have never gotten ripe mangos from it during the winter months of Dec. - Jan.

I hope that by removing all the flower blooms predisposes it to give me ripe mango fruit this coming Dec. - Jan.

If this is achieved, I think this would be the last piece in the puzzle of having Mango 24/7 at this location.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:59:10 PM by LEOOEL »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 24, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
My Bacon Avocado in flower...  ;D

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 24, 2016, 11:02:28 PM »
Luis my Bacon tree as about that size and it set a tremendous amount of fruit and almost died. It has never been the same after that. Bacon sets a lot of fruit I suggests that if it does just leave 3-4. and let the tree build a nice root system.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 25, 2016, 03:45:41 AM »
Luis my Bacon tree as about that size and it set a tremendous amount of fruit and almost died. It has never been the same after that. Bacon sets a lot of fruit I suggests that if it does just leave 3-4. and let the tree build a nice root system.
Hi! My avocado trees never gave fruit... infortunately! They already have 4 years on the ground. I have hope this year my bacon and reed avocados set fruit, but i will not let them have a lot of it if it happens. Thank's!  ;D

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 08, 2016, 06:01:56 PM »
Carlos, thank you for the update on the progress of the 'Salavar.' And, congrats on the news that the grafts took, I'm sure that your grafting expertise has something to do with it. I hope that under your professional care, we'll get to know more about the productivity behavior of this interesting new seedling/variety. The owner of the 'Salavar' avocado mother tree, told me last week that the tree is currently flowering like crazy. So far, this is the best one of his avocado seedlings.
Salavar is growing well. Set fruit in its first flowering, nice sign specially on an off year. . See pictures. Is in an area that gets sprayed for scab so far they look very clean. May be too big for August if they are going to hang on the tree to March but we'll see. Thanks Leo for making it possible.

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 29, 2017, 07:35:31 PM »
Carlos, that's a wonderful picture of Salavar Avocados. You are the only person I know that could have gotten this variety to produce fruit so quickly, congratulations.
As we have mentioned, this is the best variety resulting from several avocado seeds that a friend of mine (Salavar.) planted. I contacted you, and you were very gracious and passionate enough to propagate this variety, for which Mr. Salavar. and me are very greatful. Mr. Salavar. moved to a new location. I no longer have access to the 'mother' Salavar Avocado variety original tree, so I don't know how it's doing.

If you could provide, at your convenience, the period of time during the year that the tree produces ripe fruit, I'd really appreciate it and it would be welcome news. Thank you for the last report on the Salavar Avocado, it was really a joy to get the news.

Carlos, thank you for the update on the progress of the 'Salavar.' And, congrats on the news that the grafts took, I'm sure that your grafting expertise has something to do with it. I hope that under your professional care, we'll get to know more about the productivity behavior of this interesting new seedling/variety. The owner of the 'Salavar' avocado mother tree, told me last week that the tree is currently flowering like crazy. So far, this is the best one of his avocado seedlings.
Salavar is growing well. Set fruit in its first flowering, nice sign specially on an off year. . See pictures. Is in an area that gets sprayed for scab so far they look very clean. May be too big for August if they are going to hang on the tree to March but we'll see. Thanks Leo for making it possible.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 29, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »
Carlos, I just got back from Homestead, after searching for a grafted 'Kampong' variety avocado. I was able to find 15 gallon potted 'Kampong' avocado for about $100, from a reliable source. I didn't find the 3 gal. size I was looking for. I'm planning to resume the search next Monday.

While I was at Homestead, someone at one of the nurseries brought to my attention information that there's a variety that produces ripe fruit in April! I was told the name of this avocado variety is either 'April' (English) or 'Abril' (Spanish). I thought I would bring it to your attention, just in case you know anything about it. The nursery worker told me that they had this 'producing' avocado variety, but that they weren't propagating it because people just didn't know about it, and thus were not purchasing it. I was perplexed to hear him say that, because if this 'Abril' Avocado variety does produce ripe fruit in April, this would pretty much fill the South-Florida-Winter-Avocado-Void (S.FL-W.A.V.)!

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 29, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for how many gallons of water / how frequently should you water a 3 gallon avocado or mango when you first put it in ground?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 29, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for how many gallons of water / how frequently should you water a 3 gallon avocado or mango when you first put it in ground?

Lots of variables like where you live and if it rains and how hot, how humid, etc.  But a very small tree will only need 5 to 10 gallons a week during summer.  Its ok to over water if your soil drains well but not so much if its heavy clay or something that stays soggy. 
Brad Spaugh

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 29, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »

Lots of variables like where you live and if it rains and how hot, how humid, etc.  But a very small tree will only need 5 to 10 gallons a week during summer.  Its ok to over water if your soil drains well but not so much if its heavy clay or something that stays soggy.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone here is in sandy Broward

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 29, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
Spaugh, I appreciate it (and I'm quite surprised) that in your heading you note that you're an amateur gardener (and so am I, and I'm sure most on this Forum are too). But, I sure couldn't tell from your response, which was one of the most professional and perfect responses I've seen in a long time, thank you.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 30, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »
Spaugh, I appreciate it (and I'm quite surprised) that in your heading you note that you're an amateur gardener (and so am I, and I'm sure most on this Forum are too). But, I sure couldn't tell from your response, which was one of the most professional and perfect responses I've seen in a long time, thank you.

Ehh Im just a red neck who manages to make a few plants grow.  ;)  watering is one of those things you just need to get a feel for.  Ive seen videos of people using tensionmeter etc to read the soil moisture.  I just do it based on how the weather is.  Same with fertilizer.  Just do it every month or 2 when the trees are growing.  Maybe more often in sandy soil. 
Brad Spaugh

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
Yesterday, finally bought the 'Choquette' avocado variety. I'm trying to fill in the South-Florida Winter-Avocado-Void (S.FL-WAV). I've heard from reliable sources that it's a bit bland, but I can't be too picky during the S.FL-WAV. Besides, the 'Choquette' is known to consistently produce lots of large sized avocados!

I wish the process of purchasing this avocado variety  had gone down more smoothly. Briefly, this is what happened:
   Day before yesterday, I was looking to purchase a 3 gallon 'Choquette,' from a reputable nursery (un-named) in Miami-Dade County, all to lower the chances of propagating/getting the 'beetle-fungus' avocado disease that's been in the news lately. So, I 'call'm' up & a person tells me that 'yeah, we got'm but their roots need to strengthen.' After making my plea, 'person' says 'OK,' but we still have to charge full price,' & I say OK.
   Yesterday, before leaving go get the 3 gal. 'Choquette,' I call the same employee, who then says, 'OK' ask for me when you get here.' When I got there, I was shown a quantity of about 100 'Choquette' avos., 3 gal. each, and then told they had all just been sold to one individual; disappointing doesn't begin to cover it. Lesson Learned: Buy the fruit tree the same day they say they have it. Then, trying to save the situation, I called an acquaintance who owns a nearby nursery, who confirmed they had 5? gal. 'Choquette; this nursery is 'nice people,' but less reputable. I went home & planted the much larger tree. While I was planting it, I noticed it had ~3 tiny avocados on it.
   I hope luck is on my side, that (1) the tree doesn't have the 'beetle-fungus' disease and (2) that the variety is indeed 'Choquette.' That's one 'if' too many.
   In conclusion, there is a lot of demand for avocados, especially during this time period of the year that we're in right now, the South-Florida Winter-Avocado-Void (S.FL-WAV).

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 06, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »
When picked early, Choquette is watery, but left on the tree, it develops more flavor and sufficient oil content.  It's a worthy avocado in the West Indian family, but tends to skip a year then bear heavily.  Definitely a large, clean, and beautiful fruit.
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 06, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »
Leo where did you get the nice 5 gal Choquette. I'm looking for one
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 06, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
This is the first time that I hear that the 'Choquette' avocado skips a year, I guess I'm about to find out and I'll report on it; thank you for the valuable, specific info.

When picked early, Choquette is watery, but left on the tree, it develops more flavor and sufficient oil content.  It's a worthy avocado in the West Indian family, but tends to skip a year then bear heavily.  Definitely a large, clean, and beautiful fruit.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 06, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
Carlos, I got the 5 gal. 'Choquette' avocado variety from Ray's Nursery.

I haven't been able to bring myself to purchase the 'Kampong' avocado variety, because of its reputation of being an alternate bearer. If 'Choquette' is also alternating, then having both varieties alternating each other in the home yard, could be an adequate solution to the South-Florida Winter Avocado Void (S.FL-WAV).

'Kampong' avocado variety: I've heard very nice things about the quality of the flesh inside the fruit. Although the exterior is reported to sometimes look unappealing, it doesn't affect the quality of the flesh inside the fruit. I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself buying this variety at a later date.

'Lula' avocado variety: I got it about a year ago. I have it in full Sun, and in a prominent location in my yard, as in a proud display. It's growing non-stop (which I like), it's growing straight up, and I can't wait to get fruit from this, one of the most, if not the most famous variety of all avocados (after 'Hass'). From personal observed experience, it consistently holds fruit on the tree crazy far into the winter months, as I've mentioned at the beginning of this Thread. (Now that I think about it, my observations tend to validate JohnB51's report that 'Choquette' alternates). I recall to have heard very good things about the quality of the 'Lula' flesh (but not perfection). And, the seed is arguably the best for avocado rootstock. This truly is a classic, amazing avocado variety, IMO.

It seems that so far there are yet no perfect avocado variety solutions for the S.FL-WAV. For perfection we'll probably have to wait for genetically altered avocado varieties, using the CRISPR-Cas9 technology, discovered by 2 female scientists working together; Doudna (USA) and Charpentier (EU). Nevertheless, one had to appreciate the fact that there are solutions to the S.FL-WAV, even though they may not be perfect.

Leo where did you get the nice 5 gal Choquette. I'm looking for one

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 06, 2017, 07:38:10 PM »
Thanks Leo I will check Ray's Choquettes next week.
Glad you mentioned the Kampong. I tasted one fruit some time ago was very good but large seed and it was full of scab. I did top worked a tree  that should be on its second flowering should have some fruit. I will send you PM iF I do,
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 06, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
Thank you Carlos, I'll be looking forward to it.

The 'Kampong' avocado, it's a Winter Warrior variety. It's like 'Beauty and the Beast,' with its ugly scab exterior, its famous quality flesh (not affected by the exterior scab-skin), and large seed, it's definitely on my radar as another variety/tool (besides 'Lula' and 'Choquette') to tackle the South-Florida Winter-Avocado-Void (S.FL-WAV).

Gotta have avocado year round!

Thanks Leo I will check Ray's Choquettes next week.
Glad you mentioned the Kampong. I tasted one fruit some time ago was very good but large seed and it was full of scab. I did top worked a tree  that should be on its second flowering should have some fruit. I will send you PM iF I do,

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 06, 2017, 11:48:32 PM »
My friend had a Choquette tree for many years so that's where I observed the alternate-bearing habit, but he didn't give it much care.  So could that have possibly encouraged the alternate bearing?  When he died, his wife chopped the tree down because she always hated the fruit, being a big Hass fan (even if they came from the supermarket!)  Personally I thought the fruit was very worthwhile.  However, Lula is superior in flavor.
John

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 12, 2017, 03:00:34 AM »
Thanks for the info Johnb51.

My grafted 'Choquette' avocado is only 2' tall & already has a small fruit on it. Can't wait to try the fruit of this variety.

IMO: Because off season avocados are in such high demand, new varieties to be found should come from seeds of: Lula, Choquette, & Kampong...

My friend had a Choquette tree for many years so that's where I observed the alternate-bearing habit, but he didn't give it much care.  So could that have possibly encouraged the alternate bearing?  When he died, his wife chopped the tree down because she always hated the fruit, being a big Hass fan (even if they came from the supermarket!)  Personally I thought the fruit was very worthwhile.  However, Lula is superior in flavor.