Author Topic: good luck California  (Read 2170 times)

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
good luck California
« on: August 04, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »

Illia

• Washington, USA 8b
    • View Profile
Re: good luck California
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
It's a better idea than genetic modification, but honestly this would've never happened if the growers would just stop mono-cropping. If my diet was pretty much citrus, well it's common sense - I'm going to spread my kin like wildfire and feast like there's no tomorrow when I find an endless land of nothing but citrus.

Sorry if this has a possible spark to an argument though, didn't mean for it to be.
Growing tropical edibles in a non-tropical place. Always hungry to add more to my collection too!

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »
Likely better than GMO, but at what risk introducing foreign species?

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
Likely better than GMO, but at what risk introducing foreign species?

It's speies specific, so itshouldn't do any harm.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 12:43:45 AM »
Don't doubt that the beneficial predatory wasps would help. But i doubt they would totally eliminate the psyllids, and to get rid of the disease completely a multi pronged effort will probably necessary.
I think the wasps would be more effective if used long before the citrus greening is knocking at the door. Problem is it takes usually a very long time to research beneficials and clear them for release. Also there is a question not raised about whether the climate in Pakistan is similar enough to that of California so that they can survive for any period of time.
Oscar

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
The Dept of ag. in FL dropped a million predatory wasps that attack fireants, it works. My yard used to be covered with the ant hills. Not a trace of them now.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
Don't doubt that the beneficial predatory wasps would help. But i doubt they would totally eliminate the psyllids, and to get rid of the disease completely a multi pronged effort will probably necessary.
I think the wasps would be more effective if used long before the citrus greening is knocking at the door. Problem is it takes usually a very long time to research beneficials and clear them for release. Also there is a question not raised about whether the climate in Pakistan is similar enough to that of California so that they can survive for any period of time.

I believe that was the problem with the wasps released from vietnam. I have heard they didn't have enough diversity to adapt, but these should?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk