Author Topic: Shade levels for coffee, or really any shade loving fruit  (Read 947 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Shade levels for coffee, or really any shade loving fruit
« on: April 30, 2020, 11:12:52 AM »
This season I am taking a go at coffee. I am planning on growing them (trying to get hold of robusta and liberica seedlings, already have arabica) in my young camellia garden which is in the shade under several oaks and pines.

When someone says full shade does that mean dark like a garage  or simply an area with zero direct sun? The area I am doing all of this in is as said directly under a large oak canopy with morning and mid day sun having to get through several pines and the area really only gets direct late(4 or 5pm+) afternoon sun for a short time. Will this be suitable for coffee or should I move it to the back side of a different oak where it gets more of what I consider dappled?

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Shade levels for coffee, or really any shade loving fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
I, for one, would consider your description "full shade"
A garage would be more like total darkness, in which no plant could survive, i would suspect.

I can't advise, however, whether dappled light would be better for coffee.

Good luck!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:33:48 PM »
Coffee produces best with very light shade. Some of what you see as shade grown coffee doesn’t have much shade at all. You might look at some videos on line of coffee farms.
Peter

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »
"Full Shade"is such a relative term. 
We are at 2700 ft and not a cloud in the sky for 7 months, so when I move my coffee out in the summer they are in deep shade and produce heavily.  Put them into part sun and they fry to a crisp. 
But my son, who lives in Portland at 200 ft where it is cloudy/rainy all summer, has his right out in full sun all season and they do wonderfully.
I would think Florida includes lots of cloud cover in "full sun" areas, and they can go out in dappled or very light shade.

Cheers from the High Desert!
Carolyn

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »
"Full Shade"is such a relative term. 
We are at 2700 ft and not a cloud in the sky for 7 months, so when I move my coffee out in the summer they are in deep shade and produce heavily.  Put them into part sun and they fry to a crisp. 
But my son, who lives in Portland at 200 ft where it is cloudy/rainy all summer, has his right out in full sun all season and they do wonderfully.
I would think Florida includes lots of cloud cover in "full sun" areas, and they can go out in dappled or very light shade.
I'd be really curious to know whatever the respective light energy measurements are at your height vs your son's on the ideal days.  I recall something from high school physics about the inverse square law for light power?  That would make sense given the height difference - excluding factors of "hardening off" to the sun maybe from inside (since you said "move my coffee out").

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk