Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183236 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #450 on: January 28, 2019, 10:27:26 AM »
Just when you think you might know everything about the Mexican Avocado variety.

https://www.intechopen.com/books/molecular-approaches-to-genetic-diversity/genetic-diversity-of-mexican-avocado-in-nuevo-leon-mexico

I apologize if this has already been previously posted.

Yeah, I posted that one before.  Very interesting.  Here's a Mexican nurseryman that has about 8 popular Mexican named varieties he sells.  Here's his Facebook page.    His fruit is beautiful. https://www.facebook.com/jaime.gonzalez.900388?__tn__=%2CdlC-R-R&eid=ARBq9MEg4CRtHJaQJV-ERVkTV_slqF8oh7bRQ2MRH5L4FJoDe_suzTDFllJ2JlJpx6r-kqTnTWzh7Opg&hc_ref=ARSm137MJLu4gTrAkjARILAiA71ufnyzZqxSxexNBpL13CJTcMxN28eFYVBo1NWflZw

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 14, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
This is a real email I got this morning.  :D

Brad Spaugh

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 14, 2019, 05:49:16 PM »
Brad..

Can you do consultation on planting fruit tree avocado in particular for my backyard?  I bought a couple of  15 gallon avocado and blood orange.  I plan to plant more fruit tree in the future.  It's been soaking rain recently in San Diego and I can't tell the texture or composition of the soil in my backyard. 

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 14, 2019, 06:11:23 PM »
This is a real email I got this morning.  :D

I'm not the only one who's phones about to die first thing in the morning... Woohoo!
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 14, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
Brad..

Can you do consultation on planting fruit tree avocado in particular for my backyard?  I bought a couple of  15 gallon avocado and blood orange.  I plan to plant more fruit tree in the future.  It's been soaking rain recently in San Diego and I can't tell the texture or composition of the soil in my backyard.

Sure you can send me a private message.  Or if you want take pics of the spot you are thinking and post it. 

If theres a standing puddle where you want the avocados to go, forget it they will drown.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:27:29 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 15, 2019, 10:04:04 PM »
Anyone know about hass Rio?

See below link under varieties.

https://www.elisfarmsnursery.com

Thanks
Khaled
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:10:17 AM by CA Hockey »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 15, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »
hii..
greeting from tropical country
i started to collect many avocado variety, i hope most of them can grow well in my country..

I'm interested with this avocado, anyone know what variety it is? its daily 11 or something else?
 thanks.. best regard

Daily 11 is huge and has a fairly large seed.

That appears to be either pinkerton or 'sport', an even more necky bud sport of pinkerton.

Pinkerton has an amazing shelf life, and excellent flavor to boot.

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2019, 01:43:08 AM »
i have about 4 avocado trees that have been in decline for the past 4-5 years. i had an arborist come out to take a look. unfortunately they're in pretty poor shape. he estimated that they're about 90+ years old and at the tailend of their lifespan. he said the drought and heatwave really took a toll on these trees...from losing their leaves and then not being able to protect themselves from the sun was like a domino effect. recommended mulching the area and make sure they are water and fertilize properly. he recommended replacing them to get better yield of fruits in the short/long term. if not...he also recommended making future plans to replace them eventually.

goal is to make the effort to keep them alive and in better health but also start to prepare for future. normally if these were just in a backyard, i would replace them but they're a huge part of the landscape and bc of the age/size..losing one would create a large gap in the landscape view.

so i was thinking while there is spacing between these older trees (6-9 ft apart) could i plant new avocado trees in between so that in the future if the older ones are no longer there, i have a head-start on their replacement in the same position in the landscape.

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2019, 11:30:15 PM »
Any chance you could add a photo of the trees? Are the trunks 6-9 feet apart or is there 6-9 feet of space between the canopy edges?

And just curious, is this in Glendora?
gregalder.com/yardposts/

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 18, 2019, 12:34:06 AM »
Any chance you could add a photo of the trees? Are the trunks 6-9 feet apart or is there 6-9 feet of space between the canopy edges?

And just curious, is this in Glendora?

hey greg,...the trees are in arcadia. i was basing it off the distance between the trunks of the trees as the canopies of all of them used to just blend in together. the trees aren't lined up in a row..more like zig zag positioning a bit. i thought i had a more recent picture but i'll take another one.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 21, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
Heres some side by side comparison of sir prize and pinkerton.  I like to do these side by side tests.  You can't really gauge the flavor profiles well without doing comparisons at the same time.  These are both great avocados.  The trees aren't the greatest growers but that may be because they both fruit so heavily they don't have energy to really grow well.  Fruit thinning or stripping would help here.

The sir prize fruit has a much softer skin and turns black on the tree while still hard.  The pinkerton has a thick hard green pebbled skin.  I really like the harder skinned types as the animals (mice and birds) can't see them as easy and can't peck or chew into them as easy.  The only downside is its harder to tell when to harvest the green skin fruits. 

Sir Prize is more creamy and soft where pinkerton is more dryish.  The pinkerton has a really strong avocado flavor.  Very nutty and straight forward flavor.  Excellet flavor.  Sir prize also is very good in the flavor department but does have a faint anise taste that I don't care for.  Sometimes I pick up the mexican anise flavor in hass also.  Its most apparent when the fruits are extra ripe.  Sir Prize has a better seed to flesh ratio but maybe not quite as good for pure taste.

Pinkerton

Sir Prize

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:53:03 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 21, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »
Khaled, I wonder if a comma is misplaced in the avocado variety listing.  There is no Hass listed and moving the comma would result in a Rio Fuerte and a Hass.  Rio Fuerte is a real place in a growing area in Mexico.  A phone call would help.  I have not heard of a Rio.  If you find one let us know its characteristics.

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #462 on: March 21, 2019, 11:31:41 PM »
Brad,
Cool comparison. Thanks. If you could only grow Pinkerton or SirPrize, which would you keep?

gregalder.com/yardposts/

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 22, 2019, 12:09:20 PM »
Brad,
Cool comparison. Thanks. If you could only grow Pinkerton or SirPrize, which would you keep?

I don't know?  Too hypothetical.  I wouldnt recommend either if someone can only grow one tree. 
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 22, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »
Khaled, I wonder if a comma is misplaced in the avocado variety listing.  There is no Hass listed and moving the comma would result in a Rio Fuerte and a Hass.  Rio Fuerte is a real place in a growing area in Mexico.  A phone call would help.  I have not heard of a Rio.  If you find one let us know its characteristics.

I went down there and bought a tree. It is Rio hass or hass rio. Can't recall off the top of my head. He told me it was either a seedling or mutated branch of hass that bears yearly and precociously, more so than the standard hass.  No bbn one I have talked to really knows about it. I can report back in a year or 2 or send you some wood later in the season or next year.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:49 AM »
Fine pix, great comparisons.

Brad, second Pinkerton graft has pushed.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7511.175  Am excited about that one.  Some of the dwarfed Pinkerton flowers set recently on my Lamb Hass, Sharwil, Pinkerton cocktail tree.  One branch small flowering branch which is totally smothered by the other branches that are a good 1" in girth, buddy tape still intact.  They're already turning woody.

Yet another beast of a tree grafted last year to an Oro Negro/Waldin stump that froze back. I figure the canopy and root mass is enough to carry a small fruit load even though the grafts are only about 5 months old. 

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 01, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »
Looking to add to my selections at my small community farmers market I am planting a few avocados. I put a Brogden in the ground yesterday on a mound and have a Hass and Sir Prize arriving next week. I decided on them after reading some of the posts on here since I do not eat them myself. Some last minute research over the weekend and I noticed that the UF Ag extension doesn't recommend either of the last two for growing in Florida but doesn't say why. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 01, 2019, 02:48:33 PM »
Looking to add to my selections at my small community farmers market I am planting a few avocados. I put a Brogden in the ground yesterday on a mound and have a Hass and Sir Prize arriving next week. I decided on them after reading some of the posts on here since I do not eat them myself. Some last minute research over the weekend and I noticed that the UF Ag extension doesn't recommend either of the last two for growing in Florida but doesn't say why. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Some avocados that perform well in CA don't perform well in FL.  You may have better luck in Orlando since you get cooler weather than S FL (I assume).  Or it may be a wasted effort.  Hass has probably been planted in your area and info should be out there if you ask locals how it performs.  Sir Prize, you may be the first in your area to try it. 
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 01, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »

Tagging onto Brad's comment, there may be some fungal or disease pressures that cause these to either fruit poorly or have poor quality fruit.

When I come across new varieties I like to hop over to Carlos's webpage myavocadotrees.com and see his blog posts and trials. Unfortunately, most of the ones I am interested in are not completed as the trees either fruit poorly compared to some of this others or are heavily affected by fruit rot, etc... so they won't end up in his orchard and so the trial is completed. My orchard is small-scale and will have some production this year with more in the coming years but I am in avocado territory in CA so my situation is different from yours.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 02, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
I finally planted my sir prize from clausen in San Diego two weeks ago after buying it in January.  The tree has been doing well.  The guy Ray at Clausen told me not to fertilize the tree for a couple months.  There is a foliar feeding formula using seaweed extract, fish emulsion, and sugar to get the tree to grow.  Is it safe to do foliar feeding on this tree?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 02, 2019, 07:58:37 PM »
foliar feeding should be safe. Have you had any flushes since buying it? I would just make sure you have the concentrations right so you don't burn the leaves. If you do get leaf burn, then your concentrations were too high.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 02, 2019, 09:37:16 PM »
A little patience will probably work better than any sprays.
Brad Spaugh

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 02, 2019, 11:42:44 PM »
I finally planted my sir prize from clausen in San Diego two weeks ago after buying it in January.  The tree has been doing well.  The guy Ray at Clausen told me not to fertilize the tree for a couple months.  There is a foliar feeding formula using seaweed extract, fish emulsion, and sugar to get the tree to grow.  Is it safe to do foliar feeding on this tree?

I sprayed that (fish/molasses/seaweed) to my GEM and it went from 2 feet to 6 feet in a couple of months. Kind of backfired since the growth looks a little funky now. Looks like a tall skinny kid with no muscle. BUT yes it made the tree grow faster if that is your goal.

Pictures are from July 2018 and October 2018. So 3 months of growth.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:47:54 PM by alangr088 »

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »
I've been trying to get a GEM.  May I ask where did you buy it from?

I sprayed that (fish/molasses/seaweed) to my GEM and it went from 2 feet to 6 feet in a couple of months. Kind of backfired since the growth looks a little funky now. Looks like a tall skinny kid with no muscle. BUT yes it made the tree grow faster if that is your goal.

Pictures are from July 2018 and October 2018. So 3 months of growth.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
My dad has an avocado tree that he grew from a seedling 15 years ago.  He brought the seed back from his trip in VietNam. I remembered it fruited a couple of times in year 4th or 5th.  However, it has't produce any fruit since then.  It is quite a vigorous and healthy tree.  Every year it would flowered but wouldn't fruited.  This year, it shed all the leaves and right now there is nothing but flowers.  See attached.  I know it is a crapshoot in getting fruit from seedling but is there any trick or anything he can do to get a some fruit from this tree?  It is quite beautiful.