Author Topic: Foliage on my soncoya (Annona purpurea)  (Read 3548 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Foliage on my soncoya (Annona purpurea)
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:02:35 PM »
I just wanted to show you all this tree. I don't see many posts on it. I'll probably add more info on it later, but I just wanted y'all to see how big the leaflets are! The generally grow 8-12 in. I've been neglecting to repot, and it's still thriving at a little over a year, at close to 3 ft.
The largest one is over 12 inches! The supposedly can fruit in 1-3 years.

Anisha

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
Re: Foliage on my soncoya (Annona purpurea)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »
Congratulations - your plant looks really healthy. I've had mine more than 5 years - has flowered multiple times but so far no fruit

:'(

sjtropical

• Bay area CA with a greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
Impressive leaf size. It definitely attracts visitor attention.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you , unless you have a grated one ( I don't ) they take a minimum of 6 to start flowering and a few more to get fruit . But worth the wait , lots of seeds but extremely juice and very nice flavor ( this from a guy who lives in Annona country ) Here in Mexico they are ripening end of this month , has been a very strange year for fruiting in general .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »
It's looking really good..:)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 11:34:28 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you , unless you have a grated one ( I don't ) they take a minimum of 6 to start flowering and a few more to get fruit . But worth the wait , lots of seeds but extremely juice and very nice flavor ( this from a guy who lives in Annona country ) Here in Mexico they are ripening end of this month , has been a very strange year for fruiting in general .
I definitely thought those years sounded crooked. :o I guess that's why you plant Passifloras and papayas in the waiting time. I can't wait for flowers though!
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »
Congratulations - your plant looks really healthy. I've had mine more than 5 years - has flowered multiple times but so far no fruit

:'(
Aw man, do you hand pollinate? Or have multiple trees? I guess environmental factors could play in. Maybe it has specific pollinators.
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 11:38:38 PM »
@Sam @Zambezi @Sjtropical
Sorry for triple posting. :P
Thanks for all the nice comments. ;D
Anisha

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
I have one tree and have tried hand pollination. None of my efforts ever resulted in any fruits as far as I could tell.

I'm only saying what happened to me  - I'm not sure if you'll have more luck!!   8)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 09:15:31 PM »
Soncoya is drought hardy; high pH hardy; cold hardy, down to at least 24-degrees Fahrenheit (even the old leaves), and wind-hardy;  and it is a beautiful ornamental, except for ragged look in winter.
Har

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
I definitely thought those years sounded crooked. :o I guess that's why you plant Passifloras and papayas in the waiting time. I can't wait for flowers though!

Having send Soncoya seeds all over the world ( years and years ago ) I got quite a few feed backs from different climates , making a long story short it seems that they are happier in a colder climate . I am at 300 meter above sea level , 20 degrees North , production is poor . A few hundred meters higher up , same area , the branches are bending to breaking from the weight of the fruits .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »
What kind of fertilizer, potting soil, water do you use? It's very healthy and obviously you're doing it right.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
What kind of fertilizer, potting soil, water do you use? It's very healthy and obviously you're doing it right.
Tropicaliste-I mix generic Scott's hyponex with peat, coco, and compost. I use diluted fish waste from the skimmer of a saltwater fish tank in my house. Water is filtered. We filter our water using some sort of charcoal system. Similar to the one we use for the tanks.
Anisha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk