Author Topic: Tips for citrus planted on a slope  (Read 844 times)

Cjpflaumer

• Southern California
    • View Profile
Tips for citrus planted on a slope
« on: September 24, 2020, 11:14:22 PM »
Hey everyone. I am planning to plant two citrus on a slope in the backyard. It’s a reasonably steep slope. But it’s my only option or the trees would be in less than ideal sun. So one is going to be bearss lime and the other will be eureka lemon most likely. Have any of you done this? Any tips or things I should avoid etc. greatly appreciate the help.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for citrus planted on a slope
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 08:36:05 PM »
I live on the side of a steep mountain so almost all of my trees are on slopes. I just get some Bagged garden soil and use it as needed along with rocks I find in the landscape or from the hole I dig to plant tree in. I landscape around the planted tree to try to keep the base of tree level with the base of the slope above it. I have to add extra soil just below the root ball so it’s buried but still it’s sloping away from base of tree. I then take different size rocks and place them along the extended soil slope covering the root ball to reinforce the soft soil and help hold it in place. I then cover all the loose soil around tree in mulch to help reduce erosion from rain.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
My trees are all on a hillside.  I just plant them level with the slope and cover with mulch.  Then use a low flow sprinkler on them so you don't get runoff.  Not really anything special needs to be done.
Brad Spaugh

Cjpflaumer

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 11:37:53 PM »
Okay sounds easy enough. Thank you both. I saw pictures where they suggest you decrease the slope at the top and build up the bottom so make a small flattened area, which sounds pretty much like you guys are saying. I wasn’t sure if when it rains too much water would be pooling up or not but sounds like it should be good. Luckily I only need to put two trees on the slope the rest are on more or less flat ground.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 08:05:27 PM »
Every tree I plant on the mountain gets set a little different according to the spot I choose. You will know how to dig and amend the planting site to accommodate the root ball as you work. I end up pulling rocks out of the hole and repurpose them to fortify the downward slope around back fill at base of tree and mulch over all of it to reduce erosion.