Author Topic: Dwarf durian tree  (Read 11047 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Dwarf durian tree
« on: September 28, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Durian/DurianOtherSide3-92.htm

My wife wants to have a durian tree and if i can grow a small tree that would suit the garden. 

I read there are dwarfs that can be like 3 metre or 10 feet tall and bear extra big fruits!

Has anybody ever tried them?

plantlover13

• View Profile
Re: Dwarf durian tree
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Durian/DurianOtherSide3-92.htm

My wife wants to have a durian tree and if i can grow a small tree that would suit the garden. 

I read there are dwarfs that can be like 3 metre or 10 feet tall and bear extra big fruits!

Has anybody ever tried them?

No experience here, but i've seen photos of orchards with grafted trees that are maintained at that height...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »
They are not dwarf varieties but ones that get big. A grafted monthong only really gets to about 8m or 9m and when it first fruits if chopped off and 3m and continually pruned it can be kept to this height.The laterals are allowed to extend a long way and need support when fruiting in some trained trees in thailand.D.macrantha is naturally small.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 08:52:13 AM »
Mike is durian like a mango-tree in the way that if you got a grafted one they always stay small?

Oh i can see a dwarf cocktail duriantree coming in my garden  ;D  5-6 metre high is okay but not more then that.

I will have to kill some red palm tree's for that but who cares.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:35:54 PM by bangkok »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »
Not a dwarf durian, but D123 (which i think is a type of Chanee) will start fruiting when very small. I've seen 4-5 foot tall trees full of fruits.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:35:41 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »
Yes Bangkok grafted of the top types stays much smaller. An acquaintance has kept a montong at 4.5m for 10 years after it started fruiting and it pumps out the fruit like a machine. Take out the apically dominant branches and thin out the weaker branches.It will give up and bend to your will when it realizes it will never be tall.Keep chopping off the apical uprights or even bend it over with secured rope.Espalier works as well.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
D123 i will try to grow one in a container. I like big nice containers with huge fruits like pomelo, jackfruit, durian, avocado.

Mike i will prune hardnbecause i plan to grow it under the electric cables who lead to my house.

If i topwork a duriantree do i have a chance of branches breaking of when they are full of fruit? That would be terrible. My plan is to make it a cocktail duriantree.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
Bk that is a good problem to have.Side work more and keep pruning the top especially tyhe rootstock bits.Chanee is good rootstock.
It is rare for branches to break under the weight of fruit and you can prop or tie up any that look at risk.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
I bought a duriantree from 1.5 metres tall (mongthong) and a small kan yao for grafting.

I axed a cocktail plumeriatree and that will be the new spot for the durian. I just read that durians are in danger for soil funghi in thailand. It is recommended to not add animal dung or much compost (which i added allready).

Mike is your durian also growing in compost?

I will make shadecloth above the tree for some years and hope it survives. It will also be watered daily by sprinkler.

The kan yao i will graft onto a branch and then try to graft another rootstock on it from a seedling that i still have grow.

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
So are there definitely no dwarf durian varieties?

If not, could a seedling durian be kept at ~ 10 feet and still fruit?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
It's been awhile since anyone was Bankok'd on the Forum.
Bankok was run off for not posting factual information.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:06 PM »
Perhaps eventually a seedling at 10’ could fruit but I imagine it would be very long haul.  The durian doesn’t need height per se to fruit.  But it does need development and constantly cutting it back is going to cause delay to development.  Durian seedlings are naturally forest trees that want to grow to 100’ in their ideal environment.
Peter

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 10:15:10 PM »
Hopefully Mike T will chime in again on this one.  I recall Mike's buddy Peter Saleras in Aus showed durian fruiting on his special trellis system and as I recall they were relatively small trees.  I don't know if they were 10' in the pics but probably not much bigger -- Mike would be the one for more details.  But as Peter (from Costa Rica)  & others have pointed out, most want to be big trees so it will take some work to maintain them that small.

John

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 10:29:40 PM »

Assuming this is an idea to do inside a greenhouse, anything is possible with enough $$$.  If I was to try, I would try air pots, and maybe a single or double graft to reduce my work and increase the likelihood of success. Then after 1 year, and seeing the investment, I would either
a.) eat frozen durian
b.) save my money and every few years fly to somewhere and eat until I had enough, and still save on the labor and heartache.

Perhaps eventually a seedling at 10’ could fruit but I imagine it would be very long haul.  The durian doesn’t need height per se to fruit.  But it does need development and constantly cutting it back is going to cause delay to development.  Durian seedlings are naturally forest trees that want to grow to 100’ in their ideal environment.
Peter
We had a speaker here recently (maybe 3 years ago), and I don't want to quote them because its just from memory, not from notes or videos (and reviewing their presentation, I see no mention). They said that cutting back a durian tree, keeping it well pruned, caused it to fruit in 8 years instead of 10. I don't know from experience, so I have no hat in this game. I am going to try it, but I won't remember to report back in 8 years...  ;D

Hopefully Mike T will chime in again on this one.  I recall Mike's buddy Peter Saleras in Aus showed durian fruiting on his special trellis system and as I recall they were relatively small trees.  I don't know if they were 10' in the pics but probably not much bigger -- Mike would be the one for more details.  But as Peter (from Costa Rica)  & others have pointed out, most want to be big trees so it will take some work to maintain them that small.

John
Yea. Here is the slides from the presentation
http://www.hawaiitropicalfruitgrowers.org/conferences/2017/2017_Peter_Salleras_Fruit_Forest_Overview.pdf
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:31:39 PM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 03:17:20 AM »

Assuming this is an idea to do inside a greenhouse, anything is possible with enough $$$.  If I was to try, I would try air pots, and maybe a single or double graft to reduce my work and increase the likelihood of success. Then after 1 year, and seeing the investment, I would either
a.) eat frozen durian
b.) save my money and every few years fly to somewhere and eat until I had enough, and still save on the labor and heartache.

Peter
We had a speaker here recently (maybe 3 years ago), and I don't want to quote them because its just from memory, not from notes or videos (and reviewing their presentation, I see no mention). They said that cutting back a durian tree, keeping it well pruned, caused it to fruit in 8 years instead of 10. I don't know from experience, so I have no hat in this game. I am going to try it, but I won't remember to report back in 8 years...  ;D

John
Yea. Here is the slides from the presentation
http://www.hawaiitropicalfruitgrowers.org/conferences/2017/2017_Peter_Salleras_Fruit_Forest_Overview.pdf

if there were only a "dwarf" durian tree, that would be great for honolulu.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »
My previous post was in response to Sam's question that referred to a seedling tree.
A grafted durian, one way or another, can fruit at 10’.
Peter

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 11:00:30 PM »

John

Been looking at the Tatura trellis too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPYuqyzt7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UALF5lAHU