Author Topic: Moved to Florida now I can grow everything... wait no.  (Read 5249 times)

Jenniferokay

• US, FL, Inverness zone 9a
    • View Profile
Moved to Florida now I can grow everything... wait no.
« on: April 19, 2018, 06:17:21 AM »
Moved to where I am for my other half to be close to her brother who is severely sick, and I was excited for the move because finally I could grow all these weird and unusual fruits I've always wanted to try. Fast forward to me looking at list after list and nothing grows in zone 9a. It's like telling a kid they're going to Disney, and when you get there you tell them "well we can see it, close enough!" How disappointing. So my question is, what CAN I grow? If it's something I can get at lowes, I already have it, or don't want it.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Moved to Florida now I can grow everything... wait no.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
You can grow citrus!  Lol :)

By the way you may be able to grow more than you think.  Have you seen pete kanaris videos on youtube?  Check him out he grows lots of stuff.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:57:11 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
 Avocado, olives, pears, nectarine, grapes, persimmon, plum, and pecan should be a good start.  A Pickering mango in a planter you can move inside when it freezes will give your best chance at fruit.

Jaboticaba should do well also as Adam is in 9a and grows a lot of them.

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 11:38:31 AM »
We used to live in 9a. Loquats and Satsumas!!! I still drive up there each December to get some from our old neighbor. Satsumas don’t do well where we live now. We also grew rabbiteye blueberries, figs, miracle fruit in a pot, raja puri bananas (on south side of house), low chill peaches and apples.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:07:08 PM by geosulcata »

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
You can grow citrus!  Lol :)

By the way you may be able to grow more than you think.  Have you seen pete kanaris videos on youtube?  Check him out he grows lots of stuff.

I have not! I will check him out, thanks.

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
Avocado, olives, pears, nectarine, grapes, persimmon, plum, and pecan should be a good start.  A Pickering mango in a planter you can move inside when it freezes will give your best chance at fruit.

Jaboticaba should do well also as Adam is in 9a and grows a lot of them.
I have all that, except pecan and mango. Other half hates mango, and my neighbors have a three acre property filled with nut trees. Just went this weekend and got three types of jaboticaba- yellow, red, and something can't remember- it was something like passion on the bark? Not sure. And seeds for all four types he had. Thanks for the ideas.

Edited to add: the name was trunksiflora according to my other half.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:23:19 PM by Jenniferokay »

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
We used to live in 9a. Loquats and Satsumas!!! I still drive up there each December to get some from our old neighbor. Satsumas don’t do well where we live now. We also grew rabbiteye blueberries, figs, miracle fruit in a pot, raja puro bananas (on south side of house), low chill peaches and apples.

We have five or so named varieties of loquats, and then ten or so random seed grown ones, about 2-3' tall. I've never heard of satsumas, I will check them out. We have a crapton of blueberries, the blueberry festival is not far from us and at 5 bucks a shrub I couldn't say no. I have four fig cultivators, just got a miracle berry, I've never had raja puro bananas before, I'll check them out. I've got several dozen peach cuttings from my friend's Florida naturalized tree that produces abundant and good tasting but small peaches, no idea if it's a cultivator or not, I don't see graft marks, but I don't know if you can see them in a tree that large. I'm not a fan of any of the low chill apples I've had, so I'm skipping that for now. I'm originally from Minnesota so I'm a bit of an apple snob. Thanks for the help!

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »

Your "better half" hates mangoes??? I believe in Florida that's grounds for divorce.

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »

Your "better half" hates mangoes??? I believe in Florida that's grounds for divorce.

Also hates papaya, lol. I think it's a texture thing. She's okay with mango flavors, just not the fruit.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
Papaya tastes like barf so I can't blame her for that one.
Quentin

chickenfreak

• NSB, FL zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 03:55:09 PM »
I'm not sure where you are, but you should check out Just Fruits and Exotics website.  They're in 8b in St. Marks.  Their website has really good pdf's and everything they sell will work in 9A.
What about a pink pomelo?  Mine is thriving this year after the big freeze on Jan. 18.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »
Cherry of the rio grande and GUABIJU should be ok, When I was at Adam's at FFF
he had Barbados cherries planted out side? Also Uvaia should work. 

Check out what huertasurbanas is selling, He is from Argentina and has stuff that
will work. Very nice seller and he will inform you on low temps that his plants can
take. Miguel pt from Portugal has a 9b greenhouse and his property is 9a. He has
a wealth of info and experience.

There are some real zone pushers on this forum and can give pointers on how to
stretch the limits. I am in 9b on the edge of 10a and also find myself pushing. I have allot
of mulch and organics around my trees and on cold nights I water heavy and this year I got
30F one night and got through it ok. I have a cotton candy tree and it got burned a bit
but not seriously.

I find myself checking the records temps for my area and it can get really cold here
throughout history. There were record nights in the teens here in the past. Scary!

Welcome to Florida!

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »
I'm not sure where you are, but you should check out Just Fruits and Exotics website.  They're in 8b in St. Marks.  Their website has really good pdf's and everything they sell will work in 9A.
What about a pink pomelo?  Mine is thriving this year after the big freeze on Jan. 18.
Oh, I like pomelo, I'll add that to my list, thank you! And good advice on the just fruits and exotics, thanks

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 06:13:13 PM »
lychee longan           Ison muscadine

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »
Cherry of the rio grande and GUABIJU should be ok, When I was at Adam's at FFF
he had Barbados cherries planted out side? Also Uvaia should work. 

Check out what huertasurbanas is selling, He is from Argentina and has stuff that
will work. Very nice seller and he will inform you on low temps that his plants can
take. Miguel pt from Portugal has a 9b greenhouse and his property is 9a. He has
a wealth of info and experience.

There are some real zone pushers on this forum and can give pointers on how to
stretch the limits. I am in 9b on the edge of 10a and also find myself pushing. I have allot
of mulch and organics around my trees and on cold nights I water heavy and this year I got
30F one night and got through it ok. I have a cotton candy tree and it got burned a bit
but not seriously.

I find myself checking the records temps for my area and it can get really cold here
throughout history. There were record nights in the teens here in the past. Scary!

Welcome to Florida!

I've never heard of any of those except Barbados cherries (Astoundingly similar taste to paint thinner >>) thanks a ton for the advice!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »
I'm growing nearly 400 varieties of all sorts of stuff.   You can't go wrong in 8b/9a.

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »
I'm growing nearly 400 varieties of all sorts of stuff.   You can't go wrong in 8b/9a.

Holy cow, do you have a list somewhere? Do you sell?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
Feijoa
Regards,

Gary

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 11:20:55 PM »

Mostly a hobbyist.  I only sell or trade when people request it.  I'm a bit of a diversity collector.

That said, even things which can't get chill hours here can grow here fine and can be tricked into flowering.  I've had no problem with any stonefruits, Apple or pear.  Just strip leaves or score, etc--works fine.

I do have a list of everything I grow both here and in an alternate 10b zone.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 11:39:57 PM »
cherimoya cherimoya cherimoya!!!!  I am able to grow them outdoor without any issues.  Even the seedling survive outdoor.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 05:57:25 AM »
cherimoya cherimoya cherimoya!!!!  I am able to grow them outdoor without any issues.  Even the seedling survive outdoor.

Cherimoyas don't do well in Florida. Atemoya, on the other hand...
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 06:03:58 AM »
Cherimoya will not fruit here. You can grow any of the tropicals just keep them i pots . All of my atemoyas are in pots. When it get cold just tip over and cover.
Mike

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 07:18:09 AM »

Mostly a hobbyist.  I only sell or trade when people request it.  I'm a bit of a diversity collector.

That said, even things which can't get chill hours here can grow here fine and can be tricked into flowering.  I've had no problem with any stonefruits, Apple or pear.  Just strip leaves or score, etc--works fine.

I do have a list of everything I grow both here and in an alternate 10b zone.

I'd be very interested in a plant list from you

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »
This thread is for Florida recommendations.
Congratulations on your successful Cherimoya growing 3,000 miles away!

Jenniferokay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 12:18:46 PM »
This thread is for Florida recommendations.
Congratulations on your successful Cherimoya growing 3,000 miles away!

Hey, no need to be rude, they were only trying to help. I wish I could grow them, I love the taste.