Author Topic: First Pickering mango - got mealybugs? Hell ya.......  (Read 817 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
First Pickering mango - got mealybugs? Hell ya.......
« on: July 11, 2020, 07:38:33 AM »
Got mealybugs? Me too! Found this Pickering mango tucked away in the canopy covered with them. This delicious "condo" mango has a background of coconut, rind smells like it it too.  Been fighting these bastards for years.  They really like annonas and mangos.  Control has to be in the crawler stage.  Hort. oil with bifenthrin. 

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: First Pickering mango - got mealybugs? Hell ya.......
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »
Beautiful fruit Mark!

Was it ripe at that stage of color? How did you determine the best point to cut it open? By smell?

I am growing mango in a container for the first time and a Pickering at that. Have a couple of fruit hanging. I am quite surprised by the fruit size growing in a container.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: First Pickering mango - got mealybugs? Hell ya.......
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:08:19 AM »
Beautiful fruit Mark!

Was it ripe at that stage of color? How did you determine the best point to cut it open? By smell?

I am growing mango in a container for the first time and a Pickering at that. Have a couple of fruit hanging. I am quite surprised by the fruit size growing in a container.

It was totally hidden.  I only found it poking around in the canopy.   I always let my mangos ripen on the tree until they color up.  Will try it today.

Highly recommend a root pruning pot. You'll get much more production in a smaller pot.