Author Topic: Mango tree recommendation?  (Read 7344 times)

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
Mango tree recommendation?
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
I have following mango trees and have room for some more. Any recommendations on some that I could add?

Fruiting
Kent

Planted in 2013
Alphonso
Carrie
Mallika
Nam doc mai
Neelam

Planted in 2014
Dot
Fairchild
Kent
Maha Chanok
Pickering
Valencia pride
- AJ

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:30:33 PM »
Nice collection :). Mabye try some of the touted Zill creations like Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream etc. And mabye a Rosigold to get an early start on the mango season. For a little diversity, 1 or 2 sapodilla trees (Alano, Hasya etc). Hopefully your familiar with the fruit and like them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:32:27 PM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
You are covered on the late end with Kent and Neelam. You could get Keitt to go even later but.....  FWIW my Kent still has four mangoes on it at this late date. My Neelam has more, all in plastic clam shells to protect from critters
You are lacking in early mangoes. Glenn, Rosigold and others. Rosigold is the earliest. Some say it is watery when early. Rosigold experts can chime in. If I had your situation I would get>>>
  • Rosigold
  • Glenn or an alternate early mango. Glenn is a common backyard mango
The first mangoes of the year are appreciated even if they are watery bland...not so sweet

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:56:55 PM »
Nice collection :). Mabye try some of the touted Zill creations like Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream etc. And mabye a Rosigold to get an early start on the mango season. For a little diversity, 1 or 2 sapodilla trees (Alano, Hasya etc). Hopefully your familiar with the fruit and like them.

Thank you for the suggestions :). I do have the following too, all of them planted in 2013 and 2014.

Lychee
Sweetheart
Hak Ip
Sugar Apple
PIN - unknown variety
Atemoya
Gefner
Pomegranate
PIN - unknown variety
Jackfruit
NS1
Honey gold
Mai 1
Sappote
Alano
White Sappote
Redland
Guava
Thai White
Pink
Mexican cream
Banana
Ice Cream
Dwarf plantain
Manzano
Mysore
Dwarf Red
Gold finger
- AJ

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
You are covered on the late end with Kent and Neelam. You could get Keitt to go even later but.....  FWIW my Kent still has four mangoes on it at this late date. My Neelam has more, all in plastic clam shells to protect from critters
You are lacking in early mangoes. Glenn, Rosigold and others. Rosigold is the earliest. Some say it is watery when early. Rosigold experts can chime in. If I had your situation I would get>>>
  • Rosigold
  • Glenn or an alternate early mango. Glenn is a common backyard mango
The first mangoes of the year are appreciated even if they are watery bland...not so sweet
Thank you :) I saw Glenns from PIN at local Lowes couple of days back, didn't buy it as it does not seem to have a big reputation in this forum, but the "early" point makes sense, I might pick one up.
- AJ

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »

Thank you :) I saw Glenns from PIN at local Lowes couple of days back, didn't buy it as it does not seem to have a big reputation in this forum, but the "early" point makes sense, I might pick one up.

There are others...its just that Glenn is the most common early mango. They are not watery every year and even when they are they get better as the Glenn season progresses
ALSO
Glenn, even watery Glenn is a crowd pleaser. They will make others happy even as we grumble under our breath, "watery" IOW you won't get complaints about this mango that can be on the bland side. Many prefer bland mangoes over full tasting mangoes with Carrie being very strong tasting for some. I have never had a Jamaican or Indian (dot not feather) say Carrie was too strong.
Nice picks you have! Fairchild is a favorite of mine.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:11:42 PM »
How about Tommy Atkins mango? Here in Bangkok i see huge tarps with printed advertising/pictures of the Tommy Atkins but i have never seen those tree's for sale nor the TA-mango's. They use the tarps as a roof though above their stands.

And how can we know if those Zills mangovariety's really are good and don't have a turpentine taste? Do the Asians in the USA also buy/eat them?

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:07:03 AM »
Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

How about Tommy Atkins mango?
Sounds like a genuine (not sarcastic) question. So let me share my thoughts. I don't have personal experience with Tommy Atkins. From what I have seen on this forum, this is a widely grown commercial crop and rated meager by the experts of the forum. So it never was/is on my wish list.
- AJ

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »
Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

How about Tommy Atkins mango?
Sounds like a genuine (not sarcastic) question. So let me share my thoughts. I don't have personal experience with Tommy Atkins. From what I have seen on this forum, this is a widely grown commercial crop and rated meager by the experts of the forum. So it never was/is on my wish list.

Well it is a scarcastic and genuine question. I really see those tarps here but have never seen the mango's. I even have asked for them. I know they are "mediocre" to say it polite but would like to taste it myself.

Also i would like to know how those advertisings ended up in Thailand from out of the USA. Look the namdocmai is only here for about 20 years or something like that, before that they had only the green mango's who are not that sweet. The tarps can't be 20 years old then they would have been destroyed by the sun allready so there must be a story behind it.

I would recommend namdocmai, amelie, good indian mango's but i didn't have the chance to taste loads of mango;s. I guess i also ate other big names but in Europe they don't tell which variety they are selling. They were not worth to mention because they have been shipped and got treatment to be allowed in Europe. Fresh mango's from the tree taste the best, i mean homegrown not from commercial orchards.

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »
If you can get them, you have to ask some of the plant sellers if they can get them;

These varieties can get big, btw

Dupuis Saigon - amazing Mango, one of the best, beats VP , Glen, Fairchild, Pickering... in My opinion hands down
Harvest Moon- also delicious
Edward - an oldie but a very goodie

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »
Well it is a scarcastic and genuine question. I really see those tarps here but have never seen the mango's. I even have asked for them. I know they are "mediocre" to say it polite but would like to taste it myself.
Thanks for clarifying :)
- AJ

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »
I think you need some of the new zill's varieties to round out your collection.  Lemon Zest is a definite crowd pleaser.  I also like Coconut Cream, and have heard good things about Peach Cobbler, Sweet Tart, and Venus.  Just my 2 cents
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »
I think you need some of the new zill's varieties to round out your collection.  Lemon Zest is a definite crowd pleaser.  I also like Coconut Cream, and have heard good things about Peach Cobbler, Sweet Tart, and Venus.  Just my 2 cents

I think if you search the many threads...you will find the Zill varieties are by far the most highly favored in terms of flavor.... Lemon Zest takes the cake at most of the Mango samplings held..... Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Sweet Tart, Peach Cobbler are in an Elite Tier of their own     ****based soley on forum feedback
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 12:23:19 PM »
I have following mango trees and have room for some more. Any recommendations on some that I could add?

Fruiting
Kent

Planted in 2013
Alphonso
Carrie
Mallika
Nam doc mai
Neelam

Planted in 2014
Dot
Fairchild
Kent
Maha Chanok
Pickering
Valencia pride

Hmmmm...not sure how my comments didn't make it through to the first attmepted post, but let me try again:

The mango cultivars that I would be considering would include:

Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Angie, Sweet Tart, Dupuis Saigon, Po PU Kalay (Lemon Meringue), Edward, Cushman, Spirit of 76, Southern Blush, Hatcher and perhaps Florigon.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:32:39 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
A few more that I would add are Rosigold for a very early season crop, Lemon Zest because it tastes awesome and of course the reigning longtime king of mangoes "Edward."

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
Thank you all. I am considering the following as my final list.

Lemon Zest
Rosigold
Spirit of 76
Sweet Tart

I am going to stop mango tree additions with this, at least for the time being, though I have been promising myself to do that for a while :)
- AJ

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 08:26:16 PM »
Lemon Zest

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »
Lemon Zest

+1 for LZ

I don't think rosigold is in the same league as ST and LZ, or 76
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
When i was new to this forum i also wanted to have all those variety's. I went out to the shops here in Thailand and have been asking for them for weeks (in my best Thai language). Of course nobody understood what i was asking for because they are only in the USA. That was a big waste of my time.

So to all new members, they are ONLY in the USA!!

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »

Yes, I included rosigold as it seems to be the earliest in the season.
- AJ

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
When i was new to this forum i also wanted to have all those variety's. I went out to the shops here in Thailand and have been asking for them for weeks (in my best Thai language). Of course nobody understood what i was asking for because they are only in the USA. That was a big waste of my time.

Sorry to hear that, bangkok. From what I read on the forum, Thailand has phenomenal cultivars, and I hope you got a good collection of those.
- AJ

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 11:29:41 PM »

Sorry to hear that, bangkok. From what I read on the forum, Thailand has phenomenal cultivars, and I hope you got a good collection of those.

Yes i also heard that, i have a great collection but for the Thai mango's there are still many i never tried. Maybe i did try them but don't know what variety it was. On the markets they only write the variety in Thai characters which i can't read.

So far the only sweet ones i know are: NDM-green and gold, okrung tung, keaw, keo savoei, chokanon, sam rue do, mahachanok.
Then there are many mango's who are eaten green, some are very good as well.

According to my wife there are also great wild mango's from the past. They are getting rare now and i've never seen them for sale in Bangkok.

Some mango fruitsellers have new or rare variety's for sale but won't mention their price, then i won't buy them no matter what they cost. Maybe i should start buying those to get a taste of the rare/new ones but if they see my white skin they think they won the jackpot and ask extraordinary prices. I sure can afford that but it is just a game they want to play and i refuse to play that game. They play that game in every shop and i got tired of it.

If those Zills mango's are really good then soon they will be all over the place here, legal or illegal. I allready grow several mango's i have never tasted myself. I sure believe that Americans can develop good variety's but that Tommy Atkins story makes me chuckle and sarcastic.
I will make a picture of those advertisings if i see them again.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »
Lemon Zest

+1 for LZ

Agreed on Rosigold not being in the same league as LZ but and its a big but...Its the best and usually only mango in March and April.