Author Topic: Borojoa, Anyone growing it?  (Read 17513 times)

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
Re: Borojoa, Anyone growing it?
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2020, 10:00:07 AM »
Can someone sell me some fresh Borojo seeds

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »
I could have some seeds but I’m done with PayPal.

guaycuyacu

• ecuador
    • View Profile
    • guaycuyacu seeds
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2020, 06:06:38 PM »
Borojoa has been moved to Alibertia, “borojó” is now Alibertia patinoi.  Victor Manuel Patiño was a famous Colombian botanist who worked in the Chocó area of West Coast Colombia, where borojó is native, it is not from the Amazon.  “boro” means head, “jo” is tree, ‘tree of heads’ referring to the shrunken head trophies of the local tribes.   It is dioecious but females can fruit alone.  Males begin to flower before females, hence when they begin to flower one gets males, females later.  Protein content is low, phosphorus is one of the highest of any fruit.   it has a considerable reputation in Colombia and Ecuador as a tonic, panacea, and aphrodisiac.   in the 1970’s, before internet and social media, in a very few years it went from a fruit known only in the isolated Chocó area, to one of the most popular in Colombia because of that reputation.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2020, 07:13:36 AM »
Borojoa has been moved to Alibertia, “borojó” is now Alibertia patinoi.  Victor Manuel Patiño was a famous Colombian botanist who worked in the Chocó area of West Coast Colombia, where borojó is native, it is not from the Amazon.  “boro” means head, “jo” is tree, ‘tree of heads’ referring to the shrunken head trophies of the local tribes.   It is dioecious but females can fruit alone.  Males begin to flower before females, hence when they begin to flower one gets males, females later.  Protein content is low, phosphorus is one of the highest of any fruit.   it has a considerable reputation in Colombia and Ecuador as a tonic, panacea, and aphrodisiac.   in the 1970’s, before internet and social media, in a very few years it went from a fruit known only in the isolated Chocó area, to one of the most popular in Colombia because of that reputation.
Hi Jim, nice to see you posting here. Good info.
Finally got some borojo plants to grow and they are happily in the ground, though not producing yet. BTW, got my first taste of borojo shake in fruit market of Quito, Ecuador before heading out your way.
Oscar

jeffreaky

• Australia, Queensland, lowland wet tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2020, 09:15:50 PM »
Can someone sell me some fresh Borojo seeds

I have some freshly harvested seeds in Cairns Australia. I planted out about 12 trees that were grown from seed obtained in Equador. Only 2 are female and I have got a single fruit of one after 6 years.

Jeff

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2020, 09:41:42 PM »
The females can be air layered.
Peter