Author Topic: Mango tasting in La Habra CA September 11  (Read 18724 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tasting in La Habra CA September 11
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2013, 02:17:01 AM »
Nice mango orchard you got there,  :).
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 11:57:47 PM »
Nice mango orchard you got there,  :).

That's just a small portion of his collection

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »
That is just insane!  Nice....thanks for sharing!

Mark

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 10:32:58 AM »
I'm a little curious to the spacing on these trees? Seems to be a little close, but im no expert. I'm also in zone 9B Ca in Temecula Valley (dessert sun). My property is about a quarter acre and definately would like to have a few mango trees..... Wasn't sure i could space as close as these pictures shown... I plan on getting a LZ, COCO cream, Carrie, and probly ether Malika, Maha, or NAM for the last 3. However... I think i need at least 10 foot spacing. If i can squeeze it down to 7 ft spacing, I can have my own Mango Grove Paradise.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 01:56:25 PM »
I'm a little curious to the spacing on these trees? Seems to be a little close, but im no expert. I'm also in zone 9B Ca in Temecula Valley (dessert sun). My property is about a quarter acre and definately would like to have a few mango trees..... Wasn't sure i could space as close as these pictures shown... I plan on getting a LZ, COCO cream, Carrie, and probly ether Malika, Maha, or NAM for the last 3. However... I think i need at least 10 foot spacing. If i can squeeze it down to 7 ft spacing, I can have my own Mango Grove Paradise.

Clay

What is your strategy for protecting your mangos during the cold snaps? Rudy Haluza( mr El Bumpo)lost rows of cherimoyas in his Temecula farm due to frost years ago and they are hardier than mangos.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 05:01:48 PM »
Well....I'm assuming there's no freeze cloth to cover a 15-20 ft tree is there lol.... I've been doing a little research and im hearing a few tales of heat generators, christsmas lights, hard mulching covering the base of the trunk...

Top tropicals is telling me not to worry once they mature, just ot keep them potted for a year or 2 and garage them on days of frost. She told me mature Mango trees can withstand cold temps below freezing for a couple of hours....Then again she could be just trying to sell me a few trees.

Other than that i really have no clue as to my options... The only other thing i can think of is to but condo sized trees and keep them garaged during the cold snaps...But that would take my Dream Mangoes LZ, CoCo Cream, and Carrie right off the list....such a delimma.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 10:42:37 PM »
Well....I'm assuming there's no freeze cloth to cover a 15-20 ft tree is there lol.... I've been doing a little research and im hearing a few tales of heat generators, christsmas lights, hard mulching covering the base of the trunk...

Top tropicals is telling me not to worry once they mature, just ot keep them potted for a year or 2 and garage them on days of frost. She told me mature Mango trees can withstand cold temps below freezing for a couple of hours....Then again she could be just trying to sell me a few trees.

Other than that i really have no clue as to my options... The only other thing i can think of is to but condo sized trees and keep them garaged during the cold snaps...But that would take my Dream Mangoes LZ, CoCo Cream, and Carrie right off the list....such a delimma.

Clay

You'll need to protect them the first few years until they are well establish. The high density orchard in this thread is in the inland empire design by Cuban007 to combat cold weather. You might want to ask him about his project.

MangoDog is another poster who has a lot of great ideas and experience with 9B zone. You might also consider Tim Thomson's cold hardy mangos he has spend a lifetime breeding mangos in marginal growing conditions.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »
Thanks JF!

I left Mango Professor an email and he got back with me ASAP and told me of all his great cultivars created for the valley climate we have in Southern Ca that will survive the random 25 degree snaps we can get through the years. Looks like their  in High Demand too...2 of the best selling varieties he has are on Back order until 2015 FML... Has anyone had a chance to sample Mango Professors great creations? I'm sure they taste amazing.

I still don't want to rule out LZ, Coco Cream, and Carrie...Also Malika seems to be top nothc as well considering it beat out LZ on your last mango sampling you guys held in SEPT. 

However thanks JF for bringing it to my attention.. I would be devasted paying so much for these trees investing time and money just to see them die after several years during a  cold snap.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:20:33 PM by ClayMango »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2014, 12:53:17 PM »
Temecula gets really cold in the winter. I would definitely go with one of MangoProfessors varieties. If you are still interested in some of the other named cultivars, perhaps try grafting them onto the cold hardy rootstock, no sure if it will impart cold tolerance but it's worth a shot. Multiple rootstocks may also help your plants withstand adverse conditions but this is just speculation on my part.
Simon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2014, 01:19:51 PM »
Thanks Simon,

Unfortunately I'm just a novice.... Brand new Home owner without any experience growing plants and trees. However my Green Thumb looks to be getting Greener witth the Landscape. But I'd say I'm a long ways off before i start grafting anything.

This is my First Winter in Temecula and we haven't broke 32 but maybe once for an hour this year... However The record lows i read up on gives me chills lol Seems like I will need to purchase somehting from mango Professor, but i still have my eye on LZ, Coco cream and Carrie. Has anyone here in the SOCAL region tryed any of Mango Professors Amazing trees?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
Temecula gets really cold in the winter. I would definitely go with one of MangoProfessors varieties. If you are still interested in some of the other named cultivars, perhaps try grafting them onto the cold hardy rootstock, no sure if it will impart cold tolerance but it's worth a shot. Multiple rootstocks may also help your plants withstand adverse conditions but this is just speculation on my part.
Simon

Great idea Simon but don't forget the NDM. I have to confess that's not of my favorite mangos but how can you go wrong with a tree that has multiple crops. Here is an example of how the flower year round. I will have close up pic of the large NDM later

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »
Nam Doc mai was also in the top 5 battle with Malika and Miha...Clearly Malika earned its place after beating out LZ from yalls Sept sampling... So I'm thinking it's a battle between Miha and Nam Doc mai to fit that 5th spot.... Time to scour the Forums and see where they place...If only i can taste them for myself. :'(

I've also ruled out Orange Sherbet because of it being argued that it's too similar to LZ. Also ruled out Pineapple Pleasure , another new variety just released..Not sure if I'm into a tart Mango tasting similar to Pineapple...I need sweet balance. However Mr. Professor has a variety called Pineapple Mango that i would like to try for myself.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »
List of Annona budwood

Lisa
AP
Booth
Pierce
Madhur