Author Topic: Unusual So Cal Weather  (Read 23551 times)

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Unusual So Cal Weather
« on: January 15, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »
Are we going to have anymore cold snaps in the next coming weeks?  It's been really warm in the last week or two and I am really itching to plant some jabos into the ground.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual So Cal Weather
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
Are we going to have anymore cold snaps in the next coming weeks?  It's been really warm in the last week or two and I am really itching to plant some jabos into the ground.

Forecast for the next 20 days is dry and warm. It's 88F right now it will reach 90F today and tomorrow and 80's the rest of the week. It was 88F in Tustin yesterday the highest temp in the USA and it's territories. Our jan. Average so far Highs 75F lows 45F

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »
Its very warm and dry! We are breaking all sorts of records for heat, lack of precipitation (is very damaging to the agriculture industry here). I posted in off topic but I believe last year SoCal averaged around 3.5 inches of rain! And we are still dry even though its suppose to be the rain season. I am thinking water restrictions and water prices must be ready to move up  :'(.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 05:03:57 PM »

Forecast for the next 20 days is dry and warm. It's 88F right now it will reach 90F today and tomorrow and 80's the rest of the week. It was 88F in Tustin yesterday the highest temp in the USA and it's territories. Our jan. Average so far Highs 75F lows 45F

Was 88F yesterday and 89F today in Pago pago, Western Samoa, which is an American territory in South Pacific. Weatherman not doing his/her homework.
Oscar

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
already summer time in socal lol

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:01:11 PM »
If it's going the be warm in the next 20 or so days, looks like I got some planting to do this weekend after the scion exchange.

We removed and grinded 2 huge liquid ambers out of the ground in the front yard and now have ample space and sunlight for some jabos, lychee, and longans.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
Its very warm and dry! We are breaking all sorts of records for heat, lack of precipitation (is very damaging to the agriculture industry here). I posted in off topic but I believe last year SoCal averaged around 3.5 inches of rain! And we are still dry even though its suppose to be the rain season. I am thinking water restrictions and water prices must be ready to move up  :'(.

Nullzy, this weather is dangerous. I'm having a hard time breathing can't imagine in the summer if it doesn't rain soon.

It's 92F, you gotta go down South to Guerrero to find this kind of heat during this time of the year.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
It's a little Funky over here in Temecula Valley as well. Mid 40's in the morning....Upper 80's in the daytime..almost feels like I'm back in Central Florida.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
It's a little Funky over here in Temecula Valley as well. Mid 40's in the morning....Upper 80's in the daytime..almost feels like I'm back in Central Florida.

Reminds me of 29 Stumps Chief :)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
Xshen you can get some trees from roger Meyer at the scion exchange. They're reasonably priced. He's the jujube expert in the area.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 04:45:58 AM »
It's been in the mid to upper 80s the last couple days with dry winds, Santa snna conditions here in San Diego. The strange weather is doing strange things to my trees. My Lychee tree was in full vegetative flush and the leaves were still growing with some starting to harden but then the small new growth started to dry up and bloom spikes started to form because several weeks ago we had nightly lows around 45 or slightly below.

My Angel Red Pomegranate has been flowering on naked branches for several weeks but it is now starting to leaf out because of the extremely warm weather.
Simon

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
Ryan Maue ‏@RyanMaue  · 10 h 
Nothing different in GFS 00z forecast for western US -- dry thru at least 8-days pic.twitter.com/JgRtXRLNjp

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
Ryan Maue ‏@RyanMaue  · 10 h 
Nothing different in GFS 00z forecast for western US -- dry thru at least 8-days pic.twitter.com/JgRtXRLNjp

January is a warm month in SoCal but this year we've had extremely warm weather....it's hotter here than Acapulco and Rio!!

But if you don't like the heat wrightwood is 30 miles from LA there is plenty of skiing up there.,,,,imagine this,skiing with shorts :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »
Air quality is horrid out here, the fire today did not help the skies are a dark grey looking east to the mountains. I hope they get this fire under control soon.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Brush-Fire-Glendora-Angeles-National-Forest-Wildfire-240493431.html

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
PzFeed Top News ‏@PzFeed  · 30 min 
#ColbyFire UPDATE: Multiple houses fully engulfed in flames, schools closed. 2 people detained. Via @WillLesterPhoto pic.twitter.com/eeioDBNMKb

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
PzFeed Top News ‏@PzFeed  · 30 min 
#ColbyFire UPDATE: Multiple houses fully engulfed in flames, schools closed. 2 people detained. Via @WillLesterPhoto pic.twitter.com/eeioDBNMKb
PzFeed Top News ‏@PzFeed  · 1 h 
600 firefighters currently battling massive fire near Glendora, CA. 125 acres burned. Evacuations ordered. Via @ABC http://ow.ly/sEuRG

PzFeed Top News ‏@PzFeed  · 2 h  Mandatory evacuation ordered for Glendora neighborhood in California closest to brush fire, which is now in backyards. SHARE.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »
Air quality is horrid out here, the fire today did not help the skies are a dark grey looking east to the mountains. I hope they get this fire under control soon.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Brush-Fire-Glendora-Angeles-National-Forest-Wildfire-240493431.html

Nullzy

You must be having a ball in the South Bay.....clean air, warm beaches, mid 70's. That's why beach cities in SoCal are worth they weight in gold

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 01:20:55 PM »

Nullzy

You must be having a ball in the South Bay.....clean air, warm beaches, mid 70's. That's why beach cities in SoCal are worth they weight in gold

Hanging in there much better then the inland areas. I know that it gets progressively worse every mile from the ocean you go  :'(. Best wishes to all those close to the fire. Its starting to rain down ash now over here (and I am 20mi from the fire). I have not remember a fire like this recently grow so fast especially in January!

Fire is over 1700 acres now... was less then 100 acres in the morning!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:23:42 PM by nullzero »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »

Nullzy

Hanging in there much better then the inland areas. I know that it gets progressively worse every mile from the ocean you go  :'(. Best wishes to all those close to the fire. Its starting to rain down ash now over here (and I am 20mi from the fire). I have not remember a fire like this recently grow so fast especially in January!

la times said 2,000 acres now.
state of emergency declared

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »

Nullzy

Yea, it's pretty bad, we can see the smoke in Orange County....I can remember if it was 2-3 years ago during winter/spring there was a pretty bad one in Sierra Madre in the San grabiel mnt it rain ashes. My best wishes to everyone in that area

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 01:32:02 PM »
I just heard about the Coby fire. I think xshen lives near or in Glendora. Hope his family is safe.
My parents and my plants live a little south of that.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
This is not good, the drought has made things really fragile for the ecosystems out here  :'(. I have a feeling this is just a prequel to the start of the fire season. Stay safe all, limit outdoor activities. The ash rain is getting pretty bad out here, its building up onto the cars now.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »
Gosh, I know we need rain, but I just LOVE this weather.
My mangoes are more than a month ahead of schedule with their
brisk blooming start to the year - just hope it doesn't turn nasty cold
on us in the next 6 weeks...we've only had 1 1/2 inches of rain out here
with our norm being 4 1/2, but we've still got to July 1st to make up some of it....

Yeah, I'm in heaven out here!  We got our own Tropical Vortex goin' on.....

Garshon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Gosh, I know we need rain, but I just LOVE this weather.
My mangoes are more than a month ahead of schedule with their
brisk blooming start to the year - just hope it doesn't turn nasty cold
on us in the next 6 weeks...we've only had 1 1/2 inches of rain out here
with our norm being 4 1/2, but we've still got to July 1st to make up some of it....

Yeah, I'm in heaven out here!  We got our own Tropical Vortex goin' on.....

Garshon

You are crazy DesertDog this is disgusting!!! 90F and 5% humidity this is not enjoyable unless you are in the beach.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
The Governor has asked for everyone to reduce water usage by 20 percent...No restrictions Imposed yet, but I'm sure it's coming http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/17/22339076-california-governor-declares-drought-emergency-asks-for-conservation?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=2
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk