Author Topic: Tree's and floodings  (Read 7430 times)

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
Re: Tree's and floodings
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »
I have a plot of land that gets flooded easily, the mango trees are planted in this area and are very tolerant of the flooding, that can last for about a month sometimes. Caimitos are planted near the edge of the flood zone and they do ok also. The Citrus trees survive but are in poor health. Jackfruits have died so have lychees.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 11:21:43 PM »
Although they are not "fruit trees," I have been amazed at how much water muscadine grapes can take and still produce fruit.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2020, 01:58:52 AM »
Do you find the flooded fruits , produce fruit later can be good extending the season.

I was going to ask before you brought up Muscadine grapes ,
but the grapes being submerged in clayish soil I see  that with the wild grapes here . (vitis riparia) river bank grape)
What is your experience Galatians with grapes ? or are they all flooded .

I think late past 2 weeks, but cannot remember exactly I think like a month later somewhere around there.

Before you brought it up I was curious what Frog valley Farm thought

Do the Mango tree's , and other fruit delay fruit ripening ?
if so I think that can be a good thing to extend the fresh fruit season.

When I started planting here I mowed religiously and had neat mulched circles around each tree.  It looked exactly like your place.  I planted 100s of 3 gal grafted trees mulched with hay, wood chips, cow manure.  We always had standing water everywhere after rains and it seemed like zero growing results on too much stuff.  I had been taking a bunch of soil health classes and it eventually clicked and I then decided I would make a type of swale with logs and let the grass grow in that area with logs just to catch the water.  I soon noticed that all the trees with the tall grass around them started growing and the trees I mowed near didn’t grow so I stopped mowing except edges and paths.  I also discovered that in problem areas if I intercropped more trees and crops like ginger that all trees did better.  No more huge areas of standing water even after 4” today.  Anyway good luck with your project, I look forward to seeing your farm evolve.

As soon as I stopped mowing I was canceled by homeowners insurance, and questioned by all why I stopped taking care of my trees. Uh, because it works the trees don’t die and it controls the heavy rains we get which makes things grow here.  Lol

OH edit, and with wild grapes there is research to back that up someplace
that water logged vines can ripen fruit  later ..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:03:00 AM by Francis_Eric »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
Clutivated muscadines (vitis rotundifolia) are not native to my part of the state. When I pick wild florida muscadines (vitis munsonia) the ones on low swampy soil ripen first. Sometimes as early as the end of May. The high ground grapes typically ripen later in the season, and I have picked them as late as November in xeric locations. However, I don't know if this is a direct result of flooding because the low ground grapes tend to bloom first, too. Flooded grapes don't taste as sweet, so the ones on low ground have a better chance of passing on their genetics if they can ripen before the summer rains start (typically in June). Just my theory from personal observations with no scientific study to back it up.  :P

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »
Well different species I suppose to many variables to think all grape  (species) fruit is harvested later if flooded.
I had a concord in my alley bloomed early had fruit later
then a concord (tasted like) fruit bloom later but it set fruit early. (50 feet away same (water) conditions )

Just a observation with some wild grapes delaying ripening in a water logged area.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2020, 10:14:39 AM »
I meant above that there are many variables in genetics
 even with similar concords grapes  in same area preform completely different

So do not doubt what you say Galatians
but also I Wanted to ask what others thought about what they observed so thank you .
The species around here I noticed vines near by ripened early, but vines in the ditches being water logged nearby ripened later.
(this is not Like I have been going around taking notes though)

Thank you Frog Valley Farm I always find wisdom in your comments and will think about more wild areas, but I’m also going to dig some swales.  Jagmanjoe hang in there. It was worse thus year than last year.
When I started planting here I mowed religiously and had neat mulched circles around each tree.  It looked exactly like your place.  I planted 100s of 3 gal grafted trees mulched with hay, wood chips, cow manure.  We always had standing water everywhere after rains and it seemed like zero growing results on too much stuff.  I had been taking a bunch of soil health classes and it eventually clicked and I then decided I would make a type of swale with logs and let the grass grow in that area with logs just to catch the water.  I soon noticed that all the trees with the tall grass around them started growing and the trees I mowed near didn’t grow so I stopped mowing except edges and paths.  I also discovered that in problem areas if I intercropped more trees and crops like ginger that all trees did better.  No more huge areas of standing water even after 4” today.  Anyway good luck with your project, I look forward to seeing your farm evolve.

As soon as I stopped mowing I was canceled by homeowners insurance, and questioned by all why I stopped taking care of my trees. Uh, because it works the trees don’t die and it controls the heavy rains we get which makes things grow here.  Lol

Oh I tried Achacha for the first time, yesterday.  It was unsolicited surprise that came in mail with 5 from a TFF member.  I liked it a whole lot, as much as Mangosteen. Now if I could only get my 100s of  Achacha seedlings producing, 2021? Thank you TFF members you are, simply the best.

Here is a article that explains why leaving some gasses could hold the fungi in place (mycorizzae )

Copied from here
https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/gardening-techniques/mycorrhizal-fungi-zm0z14aszkin

Although we think of fungi being most at home in deep, dank forests, they’re surprisingly abundant in open shrublands and prairies, too. The outer walls of hyphae contain gluey compounds that cause fine particles of earth to clump together on and around the threads. This process is a major factor in building soil structure and making the ground less vulnerable to erosion. Mycelial networks also play a valuable role in sequestering carbon within microclusters of filaments. They limit their partner plants’ exposure to heavy metals, such as lead, zinc and cadmium, by keeping those elements bound to the hyphae’s sticky sheath. At high latitudes and high altitudes, mycorrhizal fungi scrounge nutrients from cold, rocky soils. In boggy regions, the hyphae buffer plant partners from the high acid content of peaty soils. In saline ground, the hyphae help safeguard their partners from high salt concentrations. Mycorrhizae can also protect plants from pests and diseases.

To learn more about the structure and evolution of mycorrhizal fungi, plus its symbiotic relationship with plants, lichens and humans, see
https://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/nature/symbiotic-relationship-zm0z14aszkin

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:16:17 AM by Francis_Eric »

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 10:56:54 AM »
anyone tried raised mounds on flooding prone areas?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 07:10:39 PM »
anyone tried raised mounds on flooding prone areas?

Yes, that is probably the best solution for mild flooding to be honest. We have thousands of acres of citrus here in Florida that was planted on raised beds that are about 60' wide and 3'-4' high. They plant two rows on top and use the middle as a drive. Between the beds are ditches that help drain the excess water off.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »
Last week I planted a madruno over a foot above ground level. This spot in the yard only floods in extreme weather, such as during the recent rains from TS Eta. The main reason I built a mound is because there is no top soil in this section of my yard but the flooding is a secondary reason.  I used 30 cubic feet of soil to build up a mound that is 4 or 5 feet wide at the top and 10+ feet wide at the edges. I will add to it later. I will probably get a truckload of top soil delivered so I can plant a few more in this area.

Brandon

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2020, 09:35:04 AM »
Question that seems like it fits here. I was reading about different Artocarpus's and I see that Both Marang and cempedak both like high water tables and seem to be fine with a little flooding. Anyone have any experience with this? Or do most Artocarpus hate wet feet?