Author Topic: Seedling amber jackfruit: first fruit  (Read 2444 times)

echinopora

• View Profile
Seedling amber jackfruit: first fruit
« on: April 02, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »
First of all thanks to the Trennerys for distributing the seeds and seedlings of this jack.

My first amber seedling fruit came ripe today. Opened it up along with a tweed crisp that was a little over ripe.

It is a multigraft tree and both fruits are from the same tree.

The amber seedling  fruits on the tree are smaller, more uniform in size with very broad flat spikes. Average looks about 6-7 pounds. The tweed part of the tree fruits around 15 pounds.

On opening amber is a pinkish orange, looks like there is a lot of latex in the picture but the latex is very watery and not sticky. Ate a quarter of the fruit no oil or gloves and can still use my iPhone. Tweed is burnt orange yellow, less visible latex but probably slightly more sticky. Given the amber seedling is just ripe and the tweed crisp was starting to get some blotches on the skin, amber looks to be lower latex.

Bulb size and edible percentage looks higher on the crisp.

Fruit- both equally crisp. Amber miles ahead in flavour. Tweed is very sweet but definite muskyness to it. Amber seedling more balanced flavours, slight acid tone, strong clean bubblegum tropical flavour. After eating a quarter of the fruit (oops) started getting a little of that jackfruit after taste.

I’ll be letting the amber part of the tree take over more. It is more cold sensitive so far but if it keeps producing smaller good quality fruits then it will be a winner for me.

Cheers.

Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Seedling amber jackfruit: first fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 05:17:51 PM »
That is a nice looking amber fruit. My amber seedling has a good tasting fruit but is in poor health. Can you show some pictures of your tree and its trunk? There have been questions about the potential of a multi-grafted jackfruit tree on the forum. It would be good to see a fruiting specimen. Thanks!
Brandon

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
No problem. Gave a piece to someone who had never eaten jack or heard anything about them. They thought it tasted like nibs liquorice.

Tweed crisp side

Amber is the quarter of the tree on the left (left half that you can see here) slightly smaller leaves.

The graft is a little strange because every time a more vigorous shoot appeared I just inarched it to the amber seedling scion

Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:27:01 PM »
The trunk picture is really cool! Thanks for posting. 
Brandon

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:28:28 PM »
Great report on the amber. I have an amber seedling also which has grown rapidly this season! Was wondering how cold sensitive you find the amber compared to the other jackfruits. I'm in Sydney so we do get cold here but only some rare light frosts.

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 10:49:48 PM »
How many years before it fruited?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »
It looks like my seedling of an Amber seedling is setting its first fruit. It seemed funny that the first flower it ever put out was a female, normally I would notice jackfruit would kick out a couple males and then a female on the peduncle. Can't wait to taste these. I read a taste report in Australia saying the real Amber beat out J-35 which I think is the cream of the crop of the Malaysian breeding program. Another Brazilian grower touted their Amber seedling as the best jackfruit in the world.

I got seeds from FLnative at the end of May in 2018. (Great seller BTW) I have this one planted and another seedling from the same batch topworked onto a different tree. I sold some at the Manatee Rare Fruit Council tree sale last year labeled Seedling of an Amber seedling so hopefully others are getting some good results.

Less than 2 years in and it's looking good. If anyone gets some Berry fruit I would love to buy some seed.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:35:53 PM by Vernmented »
-Josh

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 09:54:37 PM »
Wow Josh!!! 2 years that’s incredible!!!

If you happen to sell any of these seeds I’d like to buy a few, thanks

-joe

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 01:06:55 AM »
It looks like my seedling of an Amber seedling is setting its first fruit. It seemed funny that the first flower it ever put out was a female, normally I would notice jackfruit would kick out a couple males and then a female on the peduncle. Can't wait to taste these. I read a taste report in Australia saying the real Amber beat out J-35 which I think is the cream of the crop of the Malaysian breeding program. Another Brazilian grower touted their Amber seedling as the best jackfruit in the world.

I got seeds from FLnative at the end of May in 2018. (Great seller BTW) I have this one planted and another seedling from the same batch topworked onto a different tree. I sold some at the Manatee Rare Fruit Council tree sale last year labeled Seedling of an Amber seedling so hopefully others are getting some good results.

Less than 2 years in and it's looking good. If anyone gets some Berry fruit I would love to buy some seed.

I picked a Berry seedling fruit yesterday. PM me your address and I will mail you some seeds.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:09:31 AM by murahilin »

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »
Wow Josh!!! 2 years that’s incredible!!!

If you happen to sell any of these seeds I’d like to buy a few, thanks

-joe

Shouldn't be a problem if I get some mature fruit. FLnative might have some for sale if he has fruit set this year.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »
Thank you so much!

I picked a Berry seedling fruit yesterday. PM me your address and I will mail you some seeds.

-Josh

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 11:41:27 AM »
Impressive growth in two years Vernmented. Congratulations
Does it need frequent watering to have such result?
Do you have pictures of its evolution? (first 6 months, after one year...) to understand how was the path to reach this impressive result.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 12:14:53 PM »
Do you have pictures of its evolution? (first 6 months, after one year...) to understand how was the path to reach this impressive result.

I have mucky soil here which I busted up and tilled in biochar, perlite, possibly some peat moss and some other amendments like elemental sulfur, azomite and whatnot. It mostly got a balanced organic fertilizer and a small amount of 8-9 month osmocote and heavy mulch. It was grown in a rootmaker pots and had a nice fibrous root system when planting on the fertile mound. I also inarched a direct sown seedling as an extra rootstock but that is still somewhat small and probably hasn't pushed too much growth. I think the royal treatment along with deeper hand waterings and early formative pruning to open up the canopy a bit really helped push it along. I was pumping well water into my tanks and adding sulfuric acid to drop the pH as well but sometime I used straight well water that is too high in calcium carbonate. I buy the 5 gal battery acid from the auto parts store.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
Here is the inarch. The one next to it was a failed inarch that I ended up grating chempedak onto that is just starting to push. Hopefully that takes and I will try to approach graft it to the Amber and let it take over part of the canopy.

-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 12:23:54 PM »
Unfortunately my pictures are very very very unorganized and I don't use the cloud and I have had different phones. Hopefully I will go through some of my old picture folder I have saved since 99.9% are plant pictures. I'm sure I have some from when I amended the soil and hopefully when I planted as well. I think I actually used an auger and a mantis tiller. I have small space here to work with so I maxed out my soil like a psychopath. 

-Josh

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 12:57:18 PM »

Here's a thread from a few years ago that has may help: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=a0fb5605d660d0a0916c00f868493383&topic=18880.0;nowap

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
Thank you very much for your replies. I have a seedling planted last year from a seed (unknown variety) and it is starting pushing growth right now, that is why i wanted to know the good practices. If i get 1/4 of your results i would be glad.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
No problem. Gave a piece to someone who had never eaten jack or heard anything about them. They thought it tasted like nibs liquorice.

Tweed crisp side

Rob

This tree is gorgeous, I’m jealous! I planted a seedling a few years back, it shot straight up and at least tripled its size to over 9 ft in a year.  If it branched anything like this one it’d still be in the ground!

On a side note, I’d like to give it another go in a different spot.  I’m on the lookout for a seedling with a bit of size to it. If anyone close by has something available, please contact me. :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:53:18 AM by canesgirl821 »

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 10:00:20 AM »
A good jackfruit separates the men from the boys, the alphas from the betas, the sheep from the goats, the players from the pretenders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPrVMX8ACSE
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk