Author Topic: In search of a tasty Pond Apple (Annona glabra)  (Read 22389 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: In search of a tasty Pond Apple (Annona glabra)
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »
I just remembered...top trop, is selling a tree labeled as "golden sugar apple"
I believe the proper ID for this plant is just A. glabra.

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=annona_golden

they have been selling seedlings of this tree...and I hear the fruits that are produced by these seedlings is pretty much identical to any pond apple you would find in south FL.

I suppose they tasted a variety from Costa Rica (and are currently growing a mother tree) that had superior flavor....enough to make them think it was a different species...worthy of propagating....but they only planted seeds, which are not true to type...so the special variety has been lost.

I wonder if it really did taste better than other Pond apples? and if the scions are out there?  and TT knows where?

Who's going to help me research my latest conspiracy theory?  ;D

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
wow...I'm having a premature senior moment  :-[

forgot I already posted about the Golden sugar apple!

Yes, sounds like in Costa Rica (central/south America), there's some nice selections of Annona glabra....maybe the people at toptrop tasted a good fruit there, and brought back seeds (or had them sent), when they should have brought back budwood.

Now that I have a lead, someone collect the budwood and get them going...I'll take a bakers dozen, if they're grafted, and are worth eating out of hand.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2014, 04:48:54 PM »
I've been grafting the pond apple seedlings that have sprouted in my pond. I now have a Custard Apples and a Soursop growing with fully submerged roots, im curios to see how they will grow in the long term.

So, you are saying that you essentially have soursop and reticulata growing up out of the pond.  That sounds cool.

you know that does sound cool...take some pics when u get a chance David...that would be worth showing off!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »
There is a problem here with pond apple being a weed in coastal wetlands and badly impacting the native Melaleuca swamps. Pond apples were trialled and used as commercial atemoya rootstocks in a couple of locations for a short time and got away. Interestingly A.glabra in never used any more and hasn't in recent decades as it was considered an inferior rootstock.

Thats funny Mike, in florida Melaleuca is the invasive swamp species that disrupts where pond apples normally grow. 
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2014, 02:25:49 AM »
I've been grafting the pond apple seedlings that have sprouted in my pond. I now have a Custard Apples and a Soursop growing with fully submerged roots, im curios to see how they will grow in the long term.

I bet your custard apple and soursop on pond apple do fine. Pond apple was used some time here by one nursery as rootstock for cherimoyas because it is so rainy here and can easily flood. The problem is that pond apple is a lot more vigorous yhan cherimoya and will send many sprouts from below the graft. If you don't continuously prune these below graft sprouts the upper scion will die out. I bet that is what happened also in Australia with the atemoya grafted onto pond apple, and that is how the pond apple took over vast areas of Australian swamp.
Oscar

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2014, 10:37:26 AM »
they grow in saltwater down here, was thinking about grafting on to it to see what happens

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »
I was aware that Pond-Apple can grow in brackish water (mix of salt water and fresh water), but hadn't heard that they could grow in straight salt water.
Har

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »

I bet your custard apple and soursop on pond apple do fine. Pond apple was used some time here by one nursery as rootstock for cherimoyas because it is so rainy here and can easily flood. The problem is that pond apple is a lot more vigorous yhan cherimoya and will send many sprouts from below the graft. If you don't continuously prune these below graft sprouts the upper scion will die out. I bet that is what happened also in Australia with the atemoya grafted onto pond apple, and that is how the pond apple took over vast areas of Australian swamp.

You are correct in this Annalysis Oscar.  I had grafted sugar apple & atemoy gefner on pond apple & we just could not keep up with the pond vigor.  Its the very reason I decide to go on my Pond apple holy grail instead due to frustration of the grafting failure.  Three of my friends have planted 100 selected pond apple out in Loxahatchee when we were snake head fishing four years ago in C-14 canal that hit this canal is brackish, we catch snook, jack trevally, shark & tarpon beside snake head.  Two to three months we be out in this everglade section to taste the fruit if good or not; hope us luck in finding something the local Raccons & Pacu fish can call edible too!  ;)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »

You are correct in this Annalysis Oscar.  I had grafted sugar apple & atemoy gefner on pond apple & we just could not keep up with the pond vigor.  Its the very reason I decide to go on my Pond apple holy grail instead due to frustration of the grafting failure.  Three of my friends have planted 100 selected pond apple out in Loxahatchee when we were snake head fishing four years ago in C-14 canal that hit this canal is brackish, we catch snook, jack trevally, shark & tarpon beside snake head.  Two to three months we be out in this everglade section to taste the fruit if good or not; hope us luck in finding something the local Raccons & Pacu fish can call edible too!  ;)
Fishing out there is the best! I caught a snook, tarpon and bass all in the same spot in west Jupiter Farms. Right next to us was an 11 foot alligator sunning. Coconut if you like the wild edible animals you should try some of the iguanas around here, really tasty!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:08:18 PM by mikesid »

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
I had not had a decent iguana jerk sine the great cold dieoff of them in 2009&  2010, peacock bass & clownknife Dieoff were just devastating. Maybee we can sneak in good pond apple selection & a. montana or two out there. Wild exotic pond apple, wild edibles, wild games, it a crying shames you know which button to push me!  This Boca Redneck is ready for an adventure, I will get a lotto for that gator tag this year if I can.  The biggest I have tag with my sog knife is a nine & half footer.  The Polish guy that went with me were more scare of me than the Alligation( I hunt them with only my Desert Storm  Sog Knife) If you are into gator fishing maybe we go for that 11 footer, I could used a hand or two.  Gator kabob with roasted pond apple & a native surinam cherry shine sound like a Meal the Seminole Indian might have had during the Seminole War!  ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
http://www.pronaturaveracruz.org/apadrinaunarbol/Fichas_arboles/Annona_glabra/Anona.pdf  An orchard? wow, that is a pretty bold statement for pond apple. A tasty pond apple definitely exists.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »
That is the most glorified description of Annona glabra that I have ever read!
Har

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2020, 01:14:29 AM »
I just remembered...top trop, is selling a tree labeled as "golden sugar apple"
I believe the proper ID for this plant is just A. glabra.

they have been selling seedlings of this tree...and I hear the fruits that are produced by these seedlings is pretty much identical to any pond apple you would find in south FL.

I suppose they tasted a variety from Costa Rica (and are currently growing a mother tree) that had superior flavor....enough to make them think it was
 a different species...worthy of propagating....but they only planted seeds, which are not true to type...so the special variety has been lost.

I wonder if it really did taste better than other Pond apples? and if the scions are out there?  and TT knows where?

Who's going to help me research my latest conspiracy theory?  ;D

They are listing a pineapple annona which is a hybrid of muricata and glabra .

Cheers!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2020, 03:01:31 AM »
I believe it is a fruitless quest.