Author Topic: FRUIT LOVERS NURSERY  (Read 6293 times)

Dada

• Ecuador
    • View Profile
FRUIT LOVERS NURSERY
« on: August 16, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
Hi,
Anone has a clue wht happened with Fruit Lovers Nursery. On their web page it says they are closed due to volcanic eruption or something like this. Also my emails sent to Oscar were not answered.

Thanks all,
Dada

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: FRUIT LOVERS NURSERY
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
Dada, Oscar's site is back online: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=29134.0

http://www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistforeign.html

About emailing, maybe he's just busy or overlooking the mails.

Sy Tan

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »
I like to think he's out there scouring the hillsides or middlemanning for the remaining seeds I paid for but were never mailed.
Who send's 3 of 5 seeds ordered? Realistically, when are you mailing me those other 2 seeds I paid for, because the answer I'm hearing from other customers is never.
If you don't have a complete seed order to sell, don't take the complete amount of money, or say you can't full fill the order.
That's obviously bad business. Don't kill the hummingbird when keeping it real.
I've never paid another seed seller that did not fullfill my order I paid for , and I didn't expect it or the lack of care from fruitlover's, so it go's.
I've emailed with no response , so there ya go.

Cop

• Mazatlán,Sinaloa,México
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 01:42:38 PM »
Write him a pm. I’ve ordered several times and have always heard back within a day or so.

K

Hi,
Anone has a clue wht happened with Fruit Lovers Nursery. On their web page it says they are closed due to volcanic eruption or something like this. Also my emails sent to Oscar were not answered.

Thanks all,
Dada

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 06:34:06 PM »
Hi,

Thanks all,
Dada
Sorry, i'm behind on everything. Please write me now and you will get a response.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
I like to think he's out there scouring the hillsides or middlemanning for the remaining seeds I paid for but were never mailed.
Who send's 3 of 5 seeds ordered? Realistically, when are you mailing me those other 2 seeds I paid for, because the answer I'm hearing from other customers is never.
If you don't have a complete seed order to sell, don't take the complete amount of money, or say you can't full fill the order.
I've never paid another seed seller that did not fullfill my order I paid for , and I didn't expect it or the lack of care from fruitlover's, so it go's.
When dealing with very rare seeds, i would when i get to the end of the batch, expect that most people would rather get 3 out of 5 rather than none? I either send rest in following season or you can request a refund for your 2 seeds?
I usually answer email messages within one day.  During 3 month eruption the tower of our internet provider was flowed over and we were without service for over 2 weeks. Sometimes also email messages get lost. So if you don't hear from me within 24 hours try again please.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:27:19 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »
I believe the best practice is to not keep people's money for good's you cannot deliver.
 Sometimes you don't know this at the time the order is made, but when you get towards the end of the batch and see you don't have the full amount of seed's to send the customer, refund what you cannot provide.
I agree folks want some seeds VS none , but no one wants to pay for 5 or 10 of anything, and receive 1/2 with no explanation or refund.
How about when not dealing with "very rare seeds" , like the Pitangatuba order I'm referring to?  Not all of your seeds on your list are "Very Rare", Most are.

I would never have expectations from a business that's dealing with an emergency situation. That would be selfish and short sighted to have any expectations, taking into consideration what folks in a natural disaster are going through. I've certainly been hoping for the best for you and your farm throughout this eruption event. Hopefully your tree's and yourself are feeling less stress with the recent eruption stall out.

I've contacted you several time's about this in the past and not received a response. Yes, E-mails and PM's can get lost.
When I hear other's having this experience with your nursery it is upsetting. The rare fruit world is small , many farmer's are over the top generous for a good reason. Coconut wireless can apply to rare fruitist's as well.
I think you should refund people for whatever inventory was paid for in advance, that you no longer have in stock to provide. Basic Business. It's unreasonable to expect you or I to remember to ship more seeds "soon come" in a year or so. I ask that you discontinue this practice as it does not reflect well on the business to keep people's money for whatever in the world your offering, but not providing in full. It's not about me getting shorted or receiving a small refund. Thanks.

When dealing with very rare seeds, i would when i get to the end of the batch, expect that most people would rather get 3 out of 5 rather than none? I either send rest in following season or you can request a refund for your 2 seeds?
I usually answer email messages within one day.  During 3 month eruption the tower of our internet provider was flowed over and we were without service for over 2 weeks. Sometimes also email messages get lost. So if you don't hear from me within 24 hours try again please.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
Regarding sending partial seeds, or seeds to be shipped later:

I have positive experiences with Oscar in these situations. In 2016 I ordered some Green Sapote seeds, and he let me know they were out of stock. I really wanted them so I waited. I forgot about the issue, but Oscar didn't. When he had some stock available the next year, he shipped me the seeds.

I had a partial order filled on some other seeds (don't remember which). But a similar situation, where he filled the order when he had stock again.

He is definitely keeping track of this.

And I did another order this year where he had Duku Langsat seeds available on his site and I placed and order. He was out of that stock when the order was filled, and left me a note. I have no doubt he will fill the order again when he gets stock.

I am of the mindset that I will get the seeds (which are rare and perishable) when they are available. And if it is a partial order to be filled later, that's fine by me. But he has always let me know the situation via hand-written note or email, and he has always offered a refund in those cases. Can't really ask for much more than that.
- Mark

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 02:11:33 PM »
Especially with seeds that are recalcitrant, or others that take a long time to germinate, would definitely appreciate having part of my order sent as ready, and in partial shipments would be fine. Not everything is available and ready at the same time. Like at the restaurant, bring it when its ready, lol.

Glad to see you are back up and running. Want to order more seeds but running out of room. 

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
    • Radiant Portraiture Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »
Say, furitlovers, are you gonna be able to take advantage of that new volcanic soil from the latest eruption?  I've always wondered if it was true that volcanic soil is the most fertile.  I would love some myself, just to see if it's true. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »
Say, furitlovers, are you gonna be able to take advantage of that new volcanic soil from the latest eruption?  I've always wondered if it was true that volcanic soil is the most fertile.  I would love some myself, just to see if it's true.
Volcanic soil is very fertile. But volcanic eruptions don't produce soil, they produce lava = volcanic rock. And then you need a few hundred thousands, or millions of years, for that lava rock to turn into volcanic soil. Lava has a lot of good minerals inside of it, but they are not in a form readily available to plants. It needs to break down over long period of time before it is available to plants.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 03:09:42 PM »
Regarding sending partial seeds, or seeds to be shipped later:

I have positive experiences with Oscar in these situations. In 2016 I ordered some Green Sapote seeds, and he let me know they were out of stock. I really wanted them so I waited. I forgot about the issue, but Oscar didn't. When he had some stock available the next year, he shipped me the seeds.

I had a partial order filled on some other seeds (don't remember which). But a similar situation, where he filled the order when he had stock again.

He is definitely keeping track of this.

And I did another order this year where he had Duku Langsat seeds available on his site and I placed and order. He was out of that stock when the order was filled, and left me a note. I have no doubt he will fill the order again when he gets stock.

I am of the mindset that I will get the seeds (which are rare and perishable) when they are available. And if it is a partial order to be filled later, that's fine by me. But he has always let me know the situation via hand-written note or email, and he has always offered a refund in those cases. Can't really ask for much more than that.
Thanks. I do keep good record of all orders. No i don't do it by memory....have many hundreds of orders. Main problem with forum member orders and their emails is that they write to me giving only their forum name, don't give their real name, don't give their address, and they expect me to figure out who they are or what order they are talking about?
I will set up a system so that on partial orders people have a choice of being refunded or waiting for rest of order. I find with very rare seeds most people rather wait for next season, but that is not true of everybody obviously.
Oscar

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »
I've had pretty positive experiences with fruitlovers...when the seeds are viable.  I've ordered quite a few times, ordering recalcitrant seeds and plant cuttings.  I've had fairly good success with certain seeds but in other situations, every single seed I receive is already rotten and beyond viable at the time I receive them.  I'd say I have had at least 75% of the seeds I've ordered from Oscar be completely unviable at the time of sowing. 

I guess that really kind of is the nature of the situation as most rare fruit seed sources (Trade Winds)will hold onto seeds until they are gone.  I love supporting you Oscar, but it's difficult when a majority of the money I'm spending is going to waste.  I think most people would really appreciate a listing of what is fresh or at least to check on the viability of the seed before shipping.

Nonetheless, I have sourced Plinia edulis from Oscar and they have been really strong vigorous seedlings.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »
Fruitlover's sent me a refund yesterday for the remainder of my order that was out of stock.
Thank you for the completion of this order one way or the other.

"I will set up a system so that on partial orders people have a choice of being refunded or waiting for rest of order. I find with very rare seeds most people rather wait for next season, but that is not true of everybody obviously."

Thank you , however in my case ,if your referring to me. I waited for the next season (2016), and the next season (2017), and now this season passed so sometimes people like myself slip through the cracks and having a system set up to prevent this is a good idea. I know your busy busy.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
You could always ask one if the people who go and exploit the other countries and sell illegal seeds. Your choice. I guess I am just lucky enough to live on the lava rock with Oscar. Fresh seeds baby!
Biodiversity is key.

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »
Volcanic soil is very fertile. But volcanic eruptions don't produce soil, they produce lava = volcanic rock. And then you need a few hundred thousands, or millions of years, for that lava rock to turn into volcanic soil. Lava has a lot of good minerals inside of it, but they are not in a form readily available to plants. It needs to break down over long period of time before it is available to plants.

So, what if you were to take some and put in in a mulch been?  I wonder if that would make it ready faster.... maybe not that much, but some.  Like biochar. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 03:11:47 AM »

So, what if you were to take some and put in in a mulch been?  I wonder if that would make it ready faster.... maybe not that much, but some.  Like biochar.
What you are saying will not work with lava rock. It's super hard, unless you pulverize it with machinery first. This is done by some of the cement companies here, and it does make a good ammendment, called powdered blue rock, which you can add to the soil, similar to granite dust.
What you are saying does work with cinder. Cinder is formed by lava shooting up high into the sky, as in a lava fountain. This happened during this eruption. This forms very small light airy rock, like pumice. This mixed together with soil is what we call here cinder soil and is great for gardening or potting up plants.
Oscar

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 01:11:51 AM »

What you are saying will not work with lava rock. It's super hard, unless you pulverize it with machinery first. This is done by some of the cement companies here, and it does make a good ammendment, called powdered blue rock, which you can add to the soil, similar to granite dust.
What you are saying does work with cinder. Cinder is formed by lava shooting up high into the sky, as in a lava fountain. This happened during this eruption. This forms very small light airy rock, like pumice. This mixed together with soil is what we call here cinder soil and is great for gardening or potting up plants.

Nice.  Thanks for the info. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 04:26:44 AM »
Bush2 Beach your comments were not in proportion with the issue and with the intermittent communication, large number of other orders and stuff like volcanic activity going on it can take time to attend to everything. I think you'll find Oscar routinely goes beyond the call of duty as many here can attest to in terms of speed and generosity. No need to create an irritation.
Basaltic krasnozem soil that is young and some alluvial soils are the most fertile. Rock weathering is slow .see below

Rates of Weathering of Clean Rock Surfaces

(micro-meters/1000years)

Rock Type  Cold Climate Warm, Humid Climate
Basalt              10                100
Granite             1                 10
Marble             20                200

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 05:43:19 AM »
Mike T, I don't think you understood me properly. Creating an irritation? What do you do when you buy seed from a reputable seller and do not receive the full order , the seller does not respond to multiple communication attempts?  Please advise me on the best proportionate recourse good sir?

Internet connectivity and lava flow have nothing to do with it.
I would have preferred to handle privately, However e-mails and communication was not returned and I've heard of other folks having similar issues.   I love Oscar's nursery and input to the fruit community .   I also love receiving what I paid for , and there was no effort made in the past 3 season's to fulfill my order with the new crop of seed's , or return my money.

Beyond the call of duty in terms of generosity may be something you experience , I've never seen or heard of any extra's being sent to customer's since you mention it. I'd imagine it's because you have mailed Oscar rare plant materials that he was excited about from Australia, from what I recall reading in year's past.
I know he's busy and it slipped through the cracks however it happens. I'm not mad or above making mistakes myself, however, the correction need's to be made and business handled correctly.

Bush2 Beach your comments were not in proportion with the issue and with the intermittent communication, large number of other orders and stuff like volcanic activity going on it can take time to attend to everything. I think you'll find Oscar routinely goes beyond the call of duty as many here can attest to in terms of speed and generosity. No need to create an irritation.
Basaltic krasnozem soil that is young and some alluvial soils are the most fertile. Rock weathering is slow .see below

Rates of Weathering of Clean Rock Surfaces

(micro-meters/1000years)

Rock Type  Cold Climate Warm, Humid Climate
Basalt              10                100
Granite             1                 10
Marble             20                200