Author Topic: Comparison of 3 top Pomegranate varieties  (Read 22051 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison of 3 top Pomegranate varieties
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »
Roblack, I highly recommend Parfianka but I have no idea how it will perform in your climate. All my neighbors want my fruit and a tree so I’ll probably have to root a bunch of cuttings this Spring.

Anyone else growing different varieties of pomegranates able to give a taste report and pictures of your fruit? I decided to plant Parfianka many years ago based on California Rare Fruit Growers assessments back then but I’m sure there are other varieties that are also excellent quality.

Now that Parfianka has shown it’s true potential, I am going to be getting rid of my Desertnyi grafted branches. My daughters used to prefer Desertnyi because it was sweet with no tart but now that Parfianka is do sweet and well balanced, they prefer Parfianka.

Desertnyi also has smaller fruits and the arils have slightly harder seeds. Desertnyi also has a tendency to get these black spots, which I presume to be fungus, on the arils.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »
I have 3 or 4 different types and am switching them all to parfianka. 
Brad Spaugh

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2020, 10:21:02 PM »
Definitely parfianka is the way to go. At least for my coastal area with not much heat.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2020, 11:55:26 AM »
Brad and Mark, I’ll bring a Parfianka to the cherimoya tasting so that other members can taste how good it can get. This year, I gave my tree extra potassium and calcium which probably contributed to the higher Brix.

Simon

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »
may it also be that the quality of fruits improves as the tree ages? i read that they selected this parfianka variety out of 1,000 seedlings. it must be really good, i have not gotten to try it yet

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2020, 03:06:14 PM »
Brad and Mark, I’ll bring a Parfianka to the cherimoya tasting so that other members can taste how good it can get. This year, I gave my tree extra potassium and calcium which probably contributed to the higher Brix.

Simon

Most of mine were already splitting and getting taken by birds.  It seems like everything ripened early this year. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2020, 09:52:32 PM »
may it also be that the quality of fruits improves as the tree ages? i read that they selected this parfianka variety out of 1,000 seedlings. it must be really good, i have not gotten to try it yet

I’m sure age of the tree is a factor. The first few years, as you can follow in this thread, the fruit was great but not excellent. This year, I just don’t see how it can get any better.

This year, I also thinned all my fruit. I get many clusters of 3-8 flowers that actually mostly turn to fruit. This year I thinned all these clusters to a single fruit. The result is that the remaining fruit are significantly larger and higher quality.

In previous years when I left the clusters intact and the fruit were smaller and the individual arils were accordingly smaller. The seed size stays the same so with the smaller arils, the fruit quality decreases because the aril to seed ratio decreases. The clusters of fruit were also not as sweet as the single fruit.

Simon

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
Growing Azadi pomegranate
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2020, 11:31:40 PM »
I have Parfianka in a pot, but the only pom I have in the ground so far is Azadi.  I’ll graft the Parfianka onto the Azadi this winter, but for now all I can offer is a little info on my experience with the Azadi.

I started the Azadi from a cutting in January 2018, put it in the ground last year, and this year it put on about 16 fruit.  Seems precocious to me; I didn’t expect that at all!  I live in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, several miles from the coast as the crow flies.  Flowers budded in May and pollenated around mid-June.  By July 19th it had set all of its fruit: 16 of them.

Early on, the fruit were a deep apple green with a bright red blush (on the sunny side of the fruit).  In September the skins started shifting in color.  The greens & reds both started yellow-ing.

I picked the first fruit on October 1st because the skin was so sunburned on the top that the skin’s surface was dark brown (it looked sunburned) and starting to crack.  It tasted “pleasant”.  Not nearly as tart as what has become our American standard (Wonderful).  The first one to crack from ripening was on October 29th.  It was noticeably better.  Since then I’ve picked another couple when they cracked, and they have had more developed color in the arils, and more depth of flavor.

The arils are a mix of pink and colorless – often mixed in one aril.  If you look at an aril as being shaped like a kernel of corn, the pointed end is often colorless, and the rounded end is usually pink.

The fruit weigh about 320 grams on average.  I’m maintaining the bush at 6 feet.  I’ve been told it would top out at about 15 feet if I let it go.

So far none of the animals or birds have bothered the fruit (wish I could say the same about my figs!).  As of November 5th, it still has 12 poms hanging on it, and I want to see how late I can let a few of them go, so I can see how much more their flavor and sweetness develop.

UCANR’s PDF at  https://ucanr.edu/sites/Pomegranates/files/164443.pdf   describes Azadi as “Very sweet, medium sized fruit.  Name means ‘freedom’ in Persian.  Peach colored gold fruit.  Light pink sweet soft seeds with a little pleasant astringency.”  It was also one of the 7 top favorites in the 2004-2005 tastings at Davis and then CRFG in San Diego.  To be included in the CRFG tasting, it had to already be a top selection at the earlier Davis event (i.e., one of the top 8 out of 39).

But after all the hype I’ve heard about “soft” or “chewable” seeds in the pomegranates from the Turkmenistan collection, I was expecting a literal, “Nothing-to-spit-out” experience, and I didn’t get that.  I cannot chew these seeds.  They aren’t rock hard, but they aren’t edible either.  And I’m spitting out a significant wad of seeds after sucking all the juice away, so I wouldn’t say that the seeds are exactly small, either.  They may be a smaller portion of the total than Wonderful, but I’m not interested in doing that experiment.  I doubt that any of the varieties with great flavor also deliver in the “nearly seedless” department.

Here's a fruit I picked on October 29th:

In the UCANR PDF above, one of the notes about Azadi says “it is reputed to be pest resistant.”  That’s worth something.  I’ve heard people talk about “leaf-footed bugs” that attack their poms.  I haven’t had that problem yet.  Maybe I won’t!

The UCANR PDF describes Azadis as “peach-colored and delicate as a flower.”  Well my Azadi shrub is just beginning to bear fruit, and I haven’t yet found one that has made it all the way to peach-colored.  So there’s quite a bit of road ahead.

I haven’t weighed the pomegranate’s components yet into seeds, skin and pulp.  When I do, I’ll try to follow up with that information here.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:21:29 PM by RollingInTheWeeds »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2020, 08:47:27 AM »

Staying with my cousin over in Marco island FL here is a pomegranate growing on the property, no idea what cultivar it is but surprised to see one none the less. Aril seeds were hard as stones but the flavor was not objectionable, fruit looks really pitted up from fungus. One thing I noticed from the parfianka pics that Simon posted vs the fl grown parfianka pic here https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/pomegranates/comparison_chart.shtml .....Cali climate is definitely the way to go even the same cultivar looks different.

Joe

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »

Staying with my cousin over in Marco island FL here is a pomegranate growing on the property, no idea what cultivar it is but surprised to see one none the less. Aril seeds were hard as stones but the flavor was not objectionable, fruit looks really pitted up from fungus. One thing I noticed from the parfianka pics that Simon posted vs the fl grown parfianka pic here https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/pomegranates/comparison_chart.shtml .....Cali climate is definitely the way to go even the same cultivar looks different.

Joe

Hey Joe,

That picture of the Parfianka grown in Florida does not appear to be ripe. My pomegranates are that lighter red/dark pink color when they are not fully ripe. I can also tell by the aril color that the particular fruit I the picture is not fully ripe. When fully ripened, it is a deep red/burgundy color similar to Wonderful.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I do notice a difference in aril color between fruit that was grown in full sun vs full/mostly shaded.

The tree the pomegranate was grown on may not have been fully mature or may not have been in its best health because the pomegranate is so small. My Parfianka made smaller fruit when it was immature but it still turned a full red color when fully ripened.

It may very well be the different climate the tree was grown at that affected the size, color of the arils and the color of the skin.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
Does anyone happen to have an Ariana pomegranate fruit they want to sell me? I would like to do a side by side comparison between Parfianka and Ariana.

At the recent fruit tasting, one member mentioned that he preferred Ariana over Parfianka which blew several of our minds because many of us felt Parfianka was the best pomegranate we have ever tasted.

Of course I had to immediately go out and get an Ariana tree but I would like to find out this year which one tastes better.

Here’s the Ariana Pomegranate tree I just picked up. I will probably top work a branch of my Parfianka to Ariana in order to get fruit next year or the following year.

It’s funny that I never really loved pomegranates until several years ago. I planted my trees many years ago based on the high amount of antioxidants in the fruit. I liked the fruit but in the past, I was never thinking to myself “ oh boy, I can’t wait for those pomegranates to ripen”. This was mostly due to my false belief that pomegranates are just too tart for my liking.

This year in particular has been an eye opener for me and I’m as eager and excited to dig into a pomegranate as I am to cut into a mango, cherimoya, Dragonfruit or Lychee. When you get a red ariled pomegranate into the 17-18% Brix range, the sugar acid balance is indescribably delicious.

I’ve been eating my pomegranates with gusto. They are so precious to me that I stopped using my specialty pomegranate de-seeders because I don’t want to loose a single kernel. I used to use the de-seeder and also the technique where you cut the Pom in half and then hit it with the back of a spoon to get all the arils out but now I gently cut a ring around the top, pop off the middle and slice down each membrane like and carefully remove every single aril.

Using this technique, I only lose a few kernels if I cut too deeply.

I’ve been adding pomegranate arils to my curry chicken apple salads, making Jello with Pom arils in it for my kids and when I pick an under ripe pomegranate that is on the more tart side, I’ve been juicing them into my fresh watermelon juice. I’ve also been using the under ripe pomegranate arils as an antioxidant in my fresh home squeezed sugarcane juice.

Sugarcane juicer

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=827.msg353370#msg353370

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2020, 01:46:46 PM »
I have an ariana plant thats a year old.  We can try them next year.  Walter andersens has some in stock no too.

By the way simon, I think your desertyni is mislabeled.  I have a desertyni that makes dark red fruit with good amount of acid.  I thought yours were pink and acid free?  Then I looked up dave wilson description and it matches the plant I got from them, dark red, good acid balance.
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2020, 03:55:47 PM »
Hey Brad, you could be right. I sourced my Desertnyi from Fang of CRFG if I remember correctly. My Desertnyi is more pink or dark pink colored. I have also never detected any Citrus flavor in my fruit.

Do you have a Desertnyi? If not, I’ll have to get a tree or scion to confirm what I have is correct.

I’m still very interested in comparing Ariana to Parfianka.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2020, 04:12:42 PM »
I do have a desertyni and the fruit are excellent.  It has a good amount of acid and tastes like sweet cherries.

I picked up more pom plants today at walter andersens to send to a friend and also plant a few more.  I got 3 parfiankas, 2 desertynis and 1 ariana plant. 

Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »
Ok great, I’m at WAN now and I’m not getting Desertnyi since you s as oreads have it. Pomegranate tasting next year? I can’t wait. Brad, you need to make some Sugarcane juice with Pomegranate juice, it’s do good! You can juice your Wonderful and add it to the sugarcane juice so you don’t waste your soft seeded varieties.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2020, 08:17:17 PM »
Theres a market for poms, they take zero effort to grow here, and chickens cant mess them up, take hardly any water... they are pretty bomb proof.  Theres a house nearby that has a couple acres planted out on a hillside, nothing but poms. 
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2020, 10:39:13 PM »
I like pomegranate and I understand they are easy to grow. But it’s a pain to get the arils, even with the techniques that Simon described above (which BTW doesn’t seem to work well for me every time). Maybe juicing is easier with a proper presser?

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2020, 11:09:06 PM »
I hear you guys about appreciating pomegranates more and more. I used to take them for granted because they are so easy to grow. But this time of year when they're starting to split open on the tree and so full-flavored I actually crave them.

Here's a bad (but very short!) video of how I like to open pomegranates: https://youtu.be/38UpTltg2Co

I always just eat them out in the yard though. So I don't mind it being a bit messy.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »
Just harvested my Parfiankas and they are truly an awesome Pomegranate.  Very little tannin, super sweet,  low acid, and the arils separate easily from the fruit.  Even the seeds are soft enough that chewing and swallowing is not a chore. One of these days, I will get around to the techniques described above on the proper way to open a Pom. Instead, I cut it in half and go at it like an animal with my claws.

Speaking of animals, they are reliable sentinels that let me know when it’s time to pick. I always have a hell of time discerning the ripeness of a Pom without it splitting open. This damage was done overnight.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2020, 02:23:54 PM »
Totally worth the mess!

Added Parfianka to the garden, going to give it a shot. Here comes some cold!

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2020, 12:13:23 AM »
Speaking of animals, ...  This damage was done overnight.

Wow -- completely hollowed out!  I haven't seen that before.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2020, 12:24:30 AM »
Tree rats, pretty standard damage.

Better than squirrels which pick immature fruit, then when there's no fruit left, feed on the leaves and bark.