Author Topic: What would be your top 7 mangos for Florida?  (Read 9242 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: What would be your top 7 mangos for Florida?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 11:39:06 PM »
For me Pickering starts at the end of May and goes into July so it's early, but not the earliest.  I still have a few left on the tree.  The fruit is variable in size.  Some get rather large, around 2 lbs.
John

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 06:44:57 AM »
I always try to have a Pickering available,  when someone in the family or a friend asks me for a good mango tree to put in their yard,  I'll hand them a Pickering.  size, reliability, precociousness and flavor.

Pickering is it an early or mid season producer?  How big is the fruit?

My pickering gave up its last fruit the first week of July, fruit is medium sized. Definitely NOT my fave mango.
Regards,

Gary

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
My pickering gave up its last fruit the first week of July, fruit is medium sized. Definitely NOT my fave mango.
Does your tree get full sun?  Does your fruit get the blotchy red blush?  You need those factors to bring out the full potential of Pickering.  Otherwise the fruit will be less sweet and not as fine-flavored.  I ate one this morning that was honey-sweet and outstanding.
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
Does your tree get full sun?  Does your fruit get the blotchy red blush?  You need those factors to bring out the full potential of Pickering.  Otherwise the fruit will be less sweet and not as fine-flavored.  I ate one this morning that was honey-sweet and outstanding.

Ca you describe the flavors? Is it Coconuty?
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »
Can you describe the flavors? Is it Coconuty?
Definitely coconutty.  I also taste peach.  When the skin get red blotches, they're at their sweetest and most flavorful.  Very juicy, too.  At their best they can be a 9.5 or 10 IMO if you like their specific flavor profile.  I don't claim to be a mango expert, but I have tasted a couple dozen varieties, including superstars like Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:41:36 PM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 04:19:32 PM »
Coconut Cream

Orange Sherbert

Sugarloaf/E4 and/or M4

Glenn

Kesar

Venus

Guava

Those should give you some great flavors, good production, and spread out harvest times.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2019, 08:10:48 PM »
Coconut Cream

Orange Sherbert

Sugarloaf/E4 and/or M4

Glenn

Kesar

Venus

Guava

Those should give you some great flavors, good production, and spread out harvest times.
Glenn and Venus as Top 7?  Really?
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2019, 09:32:24 PM »
Not top 7 in flavor.

Glenn is on my squad for consistency and productivity, early season, often 2 crops. And they are fiberless and peachy. Very good mango to grow. I was thinking about all the trees I could replace my Glenn with, and can't see myself doing it. Its a reliable work horse, and does really well with my limestone soil down here.

Venus is a good late season mango.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 01:29:10 PM »
Not top 7 in flavor.

Glenn is on my squad for consistency and productivity, early season, often 2 crops. And they are fiberless and peachy. Very good mango to grow. I was thinking about all the trees I could replace my Glenn with, and can't see myself doing it. Its a reliable work horse, and does really well with my limestone soil down here.

Venus is a good late season mango.

I restasted Glenn after ignoring it for a while and agree.  Flavour probably under-rated against the new fangled varieties but with those other added attributes, makes sense to keep it.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
Coconut Cream

Orange Sherbert

Sugarloaf/E4 and/or M4

Glenn

Kesar

Venus

Guava

Glenn and Venus as Top 7?  Really?

Is not always about flavor, productivity plays a major role.

Keitt, Venus and Glenn are great choices.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 10:20:55 AM »
If you want productivity and a long season, Pickering and Angie definitely fit the bill.
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
If you want productivity and a long season, Pickering and Angie definitely fit the bill.

Thank you, that sounds good too! How about kesar mango?

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »
Narrowed it down to:

Coconut cream
Sugar loaf
Sweet tart
Pickering
Carrie
Kathy
Keitt

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »

Kesar mango is awesome. One of my favs. Grows very well in FL, and is the best tasting Indian flavor mango I've had. Picked up a tree for myself and a good friend (both 3 gal) as a house warming gift less than 2 years ago. He harvested over a dozen fruits this year. Mine did not flower. Super delicious clean mangoes. A nice changeup from all the other flavors/mangoes we have been enjoying. Great texture too. The tree is pretty and the leaves look healthier than any of my other mango trees.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:10:16 AM by roblack »

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 04:15:33 PM »

Kesar mango is awesome. One of my favs. Grows very well in FL, and is the best tasting Indian flavor mango I've had. Picked up a tree for myself and a good friend (both 3 gal) as a house warming gift less than 2 years ago. He harvested over a dozen fruits this year. Mine did not flower. Super delicious clean mangoes. A nice changeup from all the other flavors/mangoes we have been enjoying. Great texture too. The tree is pretty and the leaves look healthier than any of my other mango trees.

Cool, would you say it is a rather spicy sweet mango and resinous?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2019, 04:53:27 PM »
Kesar is sweet, rich and complex with deep Piney Indian resin flavor. The the Piney turpenes are especially more noticeable near the skin. Unlike some varieties of Indian Mangos where the resin is overpowering, the overall balance of flavors and sweetness from Kesar tend to be widely appreciated by most whom I had sample the fruit.

A good Kesar will have deep orange colored flesh. Aside from Kesar, there is a newer Jumbo Kesar that may be circling around Florida. I believe Dr Ledesma has this variety but I don’t know if it’s fruited in Florida yet. From what I’ve read, the Jumbo Kesar tastes pretty much identical to regular Kesars but the size is much larger.

I’ve heard reports that some regular Kesars can get huge, approaching Jumbo Kesar size.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
...what Simon said.

After finally tasting M4, would move Venus off my list and put M4 in its place. Wonderful tasting mango, large fruit, and seems easier and better to grow than Venus (from the accounts of others). Adding M4 to my collection. Very different from CC to me.

I'm keeping CC, Sugar Loaf, and M4 to spread out the season and add to flavor diversity. Yet to try SL, but hear they all are different despite being in the coconut flavor group.   

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »
Kesar is sweet, rich and complex with deep Piney Indian resin flavor. The the Piney turpenes are especially more noticeable near the skin. Unlike some varieties of Indian Mangos where the resin is overpowering, the overall balance of flavors and sweetness from Kesar tend to be widely appreciated by most whom I had sample the fruit.

A good Kesar will have deep orange colored flesh. Aside from Kesar, there is a newer Jumbo Kesar that may be circling around Florida. I believe Dr Ledesma has this variety but I don’t know if it’s fruited in Florida yet. From what I’ve read, the Jumbo Kesar tastes pretty much identical to regular Kesars but the size is much larger.

I’ve heard reports that some regular Kesars can get huge, approaching Jumbo Kesar size.

Simon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd_3xVMWiW0
John

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
Picked my last Phoenix

I had all but decided to cull it due to its problems with pm

It also gets stinky foot taste and smell when left to over ripen. Firm mango that will be late if you wait till it softenes

Through all that it made my top five this year

Wonderfully complex firm and rich with everything from floral to citrus

So it stays

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »
Had a cotton candy and it was sugarlicious!
Maybe I should add M4, Cotton candy and  Jumbo Kesar to the list, making it a Top 10?

List based on taste, productivity and growth habit.

Coconut cream
Sugar loaf
Sweet tart
Pickering
Carrie
Kathy
Keitt

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »
The budwood for our “Jumbo Kesar” was sourced from Fairchild. It is just a regular Kesar. Not sure if or where the real Jumbo Kesar exists in Florida at this point

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 05:39:15 PM »
Maybe I should add M4, Cotton candy and  Jumbo Kesar to the list, making it a Top 10?

Coconut cream
Sugar loaf
Sweet tart
Pickering
Carrie
Kathy
Keitt

I might be wary of coconut cream and productivity. Some people have issues with disease and no fruit (me). I may end up topworking the tree. i am in a very humid environment though. Planted right by a lake.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2019, 06:23:03 PM »

Coconut cream
Sugar loaf
Sweet tart
Pickering
Carrie
Kathy
Keitt

Was there any other taste profile you can recall besides besides the sweetness? Was there any acid balance or tropical mango flavor that you recall? I like sweet Mangos but only if there’s some complexity or acid balance to balance out all the sugar.

Maha Chanok is another good choice if you want a smaller tree that is pretty disease resistant and reliable in bearing. It is a good Mango, not in my top 20 but some people rate it very high. I used to grow it but recently removed it because it is a slow grower for me in SoCal.

Simon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2019, 11:02:06 PM »
The budwood for our “Jumbo Kesar” was sourced from Fairchild. It is just a regular Kesar. Not sure if or where the real Jumbo Kesar exists in Florida at this point

I was going to say something about that not looking like a Jumbo Kesar,   here is a link of a video I recorded a few years ago,  when Ledesma was visiting a mango project in the DR.  on this farm they had both the regular and jumbo type Kesar,  all scions were brought in directly from India ( a few thousand )  Jumbo Kesar are about 50-100% bigger than the regular ones,  but other than size, are identical in flavor. 

http://youtu.be/JCnW56M77Yw?t=960
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »

I might be wary of coconut cream and productivity. Some people have issues with disease and no fruit (me). I may end up topworking the tree. i am in a very humid environment though. Planted right by a lake.

Cool, is the coconut tree planted on a small hill away from the water? Or at water level?