Author Topic: Tropical fruit trees that can be rooted by cuttings  (Read 2349 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Tropical fruit trees that can be rooted by cuttings
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:09:23 AM »
Just bought a cloning machine and i was curious what trees people have tried to root cuttings with and had success. Figured i would dedicate a thread to this interesting topic.

I will try rooting every tree i have and see my chances, then report back on my success.

Also bought a tissue culture kit so i'll see what i can tissue culture as well.

This should be fun.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Tropical fruit trees that can be rooted by cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:01:08 AM »
Just bought a cloning machine and i was curious what trees people have tried to root cuttings with and had success. Figured i would dedicate a thread to this interesting topic.

I will try rooting every tree i have and see my chances, then report back on my success.

Also bought a tissue culture kit so i'll see what i can tissue culture as well.

This should be fun.

I had a avacado branch that was green that I stuck in ground and it took. not sure if anyone has every tried it.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:00:03 PM »
In this post, the OP mentions he is setting airlayers on lychees.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=28881.0
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
I've been playing with an aeroponic propergator with limited success but I'm thinking being winter it needs a water heater? A weird seethru slime seems to be the main problem.
Katuk and bastard oleaster the only success so far
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »
I've heard Eugenia uniflora (Suriname cherry) can be propegated by cuttings but I don't know the validity of that claim. Haven't tried it myself.

I'd be interested to see the success rates of any species you try out   Let us know!

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 05:33:26 PM »
Most of the tropical fruits can be propagated by cuttings. There is an exception mango.
However a root developed from a cutting is weak and prone to root rot and nematode attack so most are grafted.
Sure it's a good method if you plan to grow them in containers with a substrate free of pathogens. I do this and they grow pretty good.
With tissue culture only your imagination has limits, but here finding the right protocol means researching.

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
I know one nursery that offers a few kinds of citrus that are cutting grown.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 01:24:31 AM »
Success with:

* Citrus (orange)
* Pitanga (Eugenia uniflora)

This spring I tried rooting cuttings from my orange tree, jaboticaba, and Surinam cherry.

5 out of 8 of my cara cara orange cuttings took. I used varying branch diameters from 1/16” to 1/2”, dipped in Clonex, placed in wet soil, and covered with plastic.  It took approx 3 months to root, and some have pretty extensive root structure.

I also took several pitanga (Surinam cherry) cuttings while pruning some of my seedlings.  4 out of 8 have calloused over and have remained green - it appears they will root out.

None of my jabo cuttings took.