Author Topic: My "4 in 1" (7 in 1) Mango tree  (Read 19148 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
My "4 in 1" (7 in 1) Mango tree
« on: June 01, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »
Sheehan stopped by my place the other day, and seemed impressed by my "4 in 1" (7 in 1) Mango tree.  I suppose it is one of the more interesting trees in my yard  :).  We tried one of the fruits from the tree, a Mun Khun See.  It was just starting to ripen, with just the shoulder begining to turn yellow.  This is a mango you can eat green and crunchy, and this particular mango had parts of it's flesh in 3 stages.  Ripe, partially ripe, and full green/unripe.  I actually preferred the partially ripe portions, which were crunchy and sweet with a really nice flavor and texture.  Sheehan thought I should do a bit of a write up on the tree, and I thought that was a good idea too   :)

When I moved to my current home in 2004, there were a few fruit tress planted on the property.  One of those trees was a Turpentine Mango which was obviously grown from seed.  It was a fairly large tree,15-20 feet tall, and productive.  The mango's from the tree had a rich and sweet flavor with a strong "turpentine" character.  They were small, and very fibrous.  After a few seasons, I decided to ry out grafting/topworking, and this tree would be my subject.

I obtained some Budwood, and gave it a go.  I started with Florigon, Mun Khun See, Pim Saen Mun, and Glenn. I started these grafts fairly high up in the canopy, in relatively mature wood, branches of 2 inches in diameter or so.  I didn't "chop and top" the tree, I sort of went as low as I thought was possible on the existing wood. 

That season ( 3 or 4 years ago) I was surprised that the grafts took.  I certainly wasn't very experienced at grafting, but I think the timing was on my side.  Over the last two seasons, I added a few grafts lower in the canopy, as experiments, and to add more of the existing varieties lower in the canopy in case a storm ripped off some limbs.  I don't want to lose that Khun See :)

Two years ago the tree produced Florigon only.  Last year, the tree produced Glenn only. Now, currently there are 4 varieties bearing fruit at the same time.  Florigon, Pim Saen Mun, Mun Khun See,  and Glenn.  Also of note, young and not bearing are Julie, Carrie, and ValCarrie.

Here is Photo #1 .. Florigon to the right, Pim Saen Mun on the lower middle/right, Mun Khun See middle upper and some lower.

Photo #2 ..  Slightly different angle ..

Photo #3 ... Glenn to the left ... Not as productive as the other 3 this year ..

Anyway, that is my first top working experiment,  the Frankenstein tree  8)

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Re: My "4 in 1" (7 in 1) Mango tree
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »
That's amazing! what a great way to use the existing resources of the land(seedling tree). What kind of grafts did you do? Did you try a few different techniques? That's really interesting that some grafts produce some years and some produce other years.

-Luke

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »
I have seen this tree in person and it is truly inspiring.  I have no more space to plant mango trees so this increases my variety potential greatly.  I am looking forward to tasting some new varieties so I can start planning some of my own creations
Brandon

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
In order to keep the tree growing evenly with the vigorous and not so vigorous varieties on it is alot of pruning necessary? Does any one variety try to take over the tree?

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »
Sleepdoc, That tree is gorgeous! I am so impressed. You have inspired me! I was wondering how to add 4 varieties on my wish list and you just provided the answer. Thanks and Congrats on a grafting job well done!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »
What an amazing job you did Sleepdoc!! Its a gorgeous tree...thanks for posting and sharing it with us.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »
Hi Sleepdoc,

Your mango cocktail tree looks fantastic 8) This is an excellent idea to save space in a garden and you will have 7 chances to get mangos every year...instead of one chance with just a grafted tree.

You inspired me too :) THX for sharing ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »
The Mun Khun See was really good. I think I may be the best green eating mango I've had. As Sleepdoc said, the partially ripe portions tasted better than the ripe and green.

Anyone else growing the Mun Khun See or have compared it to other green eating mangos?

Sleepdoc,
Would you have done anything differently with your multigrafted tree if you had to do it again?

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
Awesome job! I'm glad its producing for you!
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
That Mun Khun See is all over the place, seems it wants to take over the tree  ;D 
Congrats on your success, sleepdoc.  Very unique & beautiful tree
Tim

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »
I just love this, good job on such a beautiful tree. you have inspired me to want to try this also.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
nice tree!  sleepdoctor
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
Thanks everyone! I tried to address the specific questions, but first thanks to everyone for the nice comments :D

That's amazing! what a great way to use the existing resources of the land(seedling tree). What kind of grafts did you do? Did you try a few different techniques? That's really interesting that some grafts produce some years and some produce other years.

-Luke

Thanks :) All were side veneer grafts .. On the thicker limbs, I had to line up 1 side only ..

In order to keep the tree growing evenly with the vigorous and not so vigorous varieties on it is alot of pruning necessary? Does any one variety try to take over the tree?

I have not pruned it other than removing the roostock portions above the grafts after they took .. Maybe I'll prune a bit of the Khun See this year ..

The Mun Khun See was really good. I think I may be the best green eating mango I've had. As Sleepdoc said, the partially ripe portions tasted better than the ripe and green.

Anyone else growing the Mun Khun See or have compared it to other green eating mangos?

Sleepdoc,
Would you have done anything differently with your multigrafted tree if you had to do it again?

If I were to do it again, I might start out a little lower in the canopy.  The tree is a bit tall, so spraying it with copper/nutritionals is too much work.  I also don't think I would graft Glenn on it, since I have a mature Glenn in another part of the yard.

That Mun Khun See is all over the place, seems it wants to take over the tree  ;D 
Congrats on your success, sleepdoc.  Very unique & beautiful tree

Yes, there is more Khun See than any other variety.  That is O.K with me since it's the one I'm most interested in on that tree.  It is a bit more vigerous than the others, and it is the "highest up" graft.  I could easily control it with a little pruning, which I may do this year..

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »
Amazing Job on that tree! Your going to have to show me how to do that. I potted what was left of the coconut cream that got snapped off and it's growing out again from the rootstock I want to make it a cocktail tree.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
Amazing Job on that tree! Your going to have to show me how to do that. I potted what was left of the coconut cream that got snapped off and it's growing out again from the rootstock I want to make it a cocktail tree.

Thanks!

Send me a pic of the rootstock, when it's ready we'll give it a go  ;D

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »
awesome job sleepdoc- im going to be in s florida for the mango festival- if u r open to giving a garden tour, id love to see that tree

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 12:20:58 AM »
Such a wonder to see, Sleepdoc....utterly beautiful.  Someday I think I'll try this on my
big Manila tree - love the varietal dangle of the fruits!

mangofang

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 03:12:13 AM »
Love the mango cocktail tree! Great idea. Just reminded me that there is some madman in India that grafted something like 350 varieties of mango onto just one tree. There was an article in the news about him a few years back.
Oscar

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »
Love the mango cocktail tree! Great idea. Just reminded me that there is some madman in India that grafted something like 350 varieties of mango onto just one tree. There was an article in the news about him a few years back.

oscar dont know why you are calling that mad-seems completely sane and rational to me. why have one when u can have 350.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 08:57:59 AM »
awesome job sleepdoc- im going to be in s florida for the mango festival- if u r open to giving a garden tour, id love to see that tree

Thx :)  NP, I'd love to give a tour.  I'll PM you my #.  Just text me when you get down here so we can arrange a time.

Such a wonder to see, Sleepdoc....utterly beautiful.  Someday I think I'll try this on my
big Manila tree - love the varietal dangle of the fruits!

mangofang

Thanks !  Looks pretty nice when loaded up  :)

Thx  :)  350, wow, that must be an enormous tree!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »

Thx  :)  350, wow, that must be an enormous tree!

I guess so, the tree is 80 years old. Here is the original article:

A die-hard mango lover living in a small town of Malihabad in Uttar Pradesh
has grown 300 varieties of mangoes on a single tree in his orchard.
Malihabad has a long tradition of producing delicious varieties of mangoes
and one of the famous varieties is known by the name of the town.

Some of the rarest varieties of mangoes, which have become extinct, are
still growing on a 'miracle mango tree'. Kallimullah Khan, who hails from
Malihabad wants to save these and many more varieties of mangoes for the
posterity. "These are extremely tasty mangoes. We cannot find these
everywhere. I am trying my level best to grow different types of mangoes,"
said Khan.

The original tree is nearly 80 years old. Khan has grafted and grown new
varieties of mangoes on it. Relentlessly working in his nursery, Khan's
passion for the fruit goes back to his childhood when he began experimenting
with mango saplings. Driven by zeal to preserve vanishing variety of
mangoes, Khan started his conservation effort by grafting seven to eight
varieties of mango stems.

The sight and smell of different varieties of 'King of fruits' on a single
tree is attracting many visitors to the mango grove. "This is the first time
in my 70 years of life that I am seeing something of this sort. I have never
seen anything like this," said Pandit Rameshwar Dayal, a visitor overwhelmed
by the sight. Malihabad is located in the mango belt in Uttar Pradesh where
90 per cent people are engaged in the profession of growing mangoes.

Mangoes from Malihabad are exported to various parts of the country and
abroad. The cost of the most famous variety of mangoes 'Dussehri' reaches Rs
200 rupees per quintal in the season. About 1,000 varieties of mangoes are
grown in India, in an area of 2.5 million hectares. Uttar Pradesh, Bihar,
Orissa, Assam, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu are major
mango-growing states in India.

India is the world's biggest producer of this tropical fruit contributing to
59 per cent of total production, but its share in the world mango market is
less than 15 per cent.
It exports about 30,000 tonnes of mangoes every year to nearly 40 countries
including Britain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Canada and now the Untied States.
Mangoes account for around 39 per cent of the total fruit exports from
India.

Source: dailyindia.com
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »
I just had my first Valcarrie mango today. It was incredibly delicious. It's firm, creamy, sweet, and just insanely yummy! WHOO HOOOOOOOO! Wonder who's propagating the fairy tale that it's better to get valencia pride or carrie over the valcarrie.

Anybody know what the production is like on those? My little 4 footer pooped out 2 fruits.
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
I just had my first Valcarrie mango today. It was incredibly delicious. It's firm, creamy, sweet, and just insanely yummy! WHOO HOOOOOOOO! Wonder who's propagating the fairy tale that it's better to get valencia pride or carrie over the valcarrie.

Anybody know what the production is like on those? My little 4 footer pooped out 2 fruits.

Yeah, I agree on the Valcarrie/Valkyrie.   I think it is Fantastic.  I am currently trying to top work it onto a couple of my trees since I like it so much ..

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
I'm one of those people who doesn't love Val-Carrie. I would rather have a Carrie.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
Found this old thread while looking for info on topworking my large unknown mango trees and making them coctails. Here is that 300 variety coctail tree Oscar was talking about:  http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/128235-sachin-mango-and-aishwarya-guava.html