Author Topic: pics of prickly pears growing wild next to Mayan ruins in Tulum, Mexico  (Read 2742 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
unfortunately, they were not ripe so i couldnt sample. havent found any other wild fruit growing. at breakfast in the hotel, they serve some very nice small yellow guava every day, as well as some awful papaya that taste of smoked feet. some of the days they have decent atulfo mango and other days they have had awful tommys.

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
kewl
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Nice pics!  That prickly pear looks like it is taking over.  You have quite a skill for describing flavors.
Brandon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
To bad it did not have ripe fruits  :'(. Just imagine that prickly pear strain growing there could of been continuously reestablishing around the ruins for the last 1000 years or so. Btw, you can still take a tender pad remove the spines and eat it raw or grill it up  ;D.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Nice pics. You got me wondering about those prickly pear fruit size, taste and quality when they become ripe. The last time I went to Mexico I was around 10. If I go again, I'd certainly keep an eye out for quality prickly pear fruit varieties.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
I find prickly pear, like most cactus fruit, a touch bland, but it has a great color.  I grew up in Texas and once as a child made prickly pear jam.  Beautifu,l but I sure stained a lot in the kitchen in doing so  ;)

Be sure to watch out for the little spines.  The big ones are no trouble at all, those little hair-like ones can be maddening though if you don't protect yourself while picking.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Karen- I like prickly pears but I dont think I will buy them anymore. even though they have most of the spine removed, there are always a few little ones left, and I always spend the next 5 days with tiny spines stuck in my hands and tongue. they dont taste good enough to be worth the hassle

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
And you'd think that the mucilage from the pads would help, since it's good for burns and scrapes like aloe vera... but it doesn't help at all.

I've gotten plenty in my hands but never any on my tongue before - were you trying to eat the skin?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...