Author Topic: M4 or Coconut Cream  (Read 7161 times)

MangoPopper

• US, FL, Boca Raton, 10b
    • View Profile
M4 or Coconut Cream
« on: May 07, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
Love Coconut Cream. Heard M4 flavor is superior.
What about production and disease resistance?
Any advice on making the best choice?

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: M4 or Coconut Cream
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:39:24 PM »
I have not had M4 yet, although I have a tree. But I find it very hard to believe that M4 is that far superior, if at all superior to coconut cream. Coconut Cream is a gift from God

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 05:14:28 PM »
Careful now, people might start calling M4 Har's Gift.

MangoPopper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 05:26:11 PM »
Ha! Coconut cream sure are heavenly. I can’t imagine a better version of it.
Interested in production and disease resistance though. I have heard that M4 is a better tree as far as branching but as long is one starts early I’m not too worried about training a young coconut cream.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »
Har has said that he had NOTHING to do with Gary Zill's mango breeding program.  I guess it could be called "Gary's Gift."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:35:05 PM by johnb51 »
John

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 08:38:06 PM »
2018 - Coconut Cream superior in flavor
2019- M4 knocked CC out of the water
2020- CC so far is And has been my favorite out of every every mango I had (still probably to early to taste m4)
Sergio

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 09:07:45 PM »
M4 wins for disease resistance in my humid fungus-prone location. It sets fruit like a champ. I have quite a few fruit on my young M4 tree. Coconut Cream barely produced for me before my 15ft tree was killed by Irma, snapped at the graft. I have no desire to plant another Coconut Cream.
Brandon

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 09:20:53 PM »
Har has said that he had NOTHING to do with Gary Zill's mango breeding program.  I guess it could be called "Gary's Gift."
You should ask Cookie Monster about what happens to mangoes from Gary's program that aren't on Har's list of approval.

He had a Kent seedling but no matter how CM tried, Gary wouldn't share it. Har lobbies for M4, it gets released despite what Gary thinks. Therefore Har's Gift. Or Har's definitely not coconut.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 09:38:04 PM »
M4 wins for disease resistance in my humid fungus-prone location. It sets fruit like a champ. I have quite a few fruit on my young M4 tree. Coconut Cream barely produced for me before my 15ft tree was killed by Irma, snapped at the graft. I have no desire to plant another Coconut Cream.

Thank You, thank you! Forgot about that disease resistance 🤓
Sergio

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 10:24:27 PM »
I tried to buy an M4 yesterday, but the owner swore that it was a Sugarloaf variety and wouldn't sell it.  I told him that I thought Sugarloaf was E4, not M4, but he just sounded confused so I gave up.  Kicking myself now for not trying harder...
--Jake

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 10:25:52 PM »
Coco Cream is wonderful. 1 mango last/first year. 6 keepers this year.

My m4 is small, but could hold fruit next year. No matter how good it is, not getting rid of CC.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »

+1

The same thing happened to mine.
Also have no desire to replant.

To elaborate:
The few I was able to find last year weren't as good as the ones I had in previous years.
I guess the timing of when to eat is and weather conditions are critical.

I still like the fruit but that's way too many things for me to get right.
Shelf life is important to me, especially when you have 30 mangos ripening in your patio.  ;D

I wouldn't cut the tree if I had one planted

On the other hand, the few E-4s aka Sugarloaf i had seemed to be forgiving and delicious, only ever got coconut flavor from them

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 12:19:56 AM »
Both are top mangos and if you could, grow both. I have a big coconut cream whith Y shape lower branch structure which I’m going to cut way back then graft E4 onto one side of the Y and have both. CC to me is more coconut with a lil faint spice note sometimes, E4 is most tropical mango I’ve ever had like a Pina colada at the beach...coconut, pineapple and a lil passion fruit all mixed in. Different textures, CC is more creamy while E4 delicate and juicy. CC tree growth habit is spindly and unruly curious how the growth habit and branching is on E4?  Glad to hear E4 is disease resistant, for me CC is spotless. I’ve heard of production issues with CC?  Last year yielded in teens but this year I only have two mangos...think I pruned it too much last year and it’s mad at me and skipped this year 😒

Joe

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »
Both are top mangos and if you could, grow both. I have a big coconut cream whith Y shape lower branch structure which I’m going to cut way back then graft E4 onto one side of the Y and have both. CC to me is more coconut with a lil faint spice note sometimes, E4 is most tropical mango I’ve ever had like a Pina colada at the beach...coconut, pineapple and a lil passion fruit all mixed in. Different textures, CC is more creamy while E4 delicate and juicy. CC tree growth habit is spindly and unruly curious how the growth habit and branching is on E4?  Glad to hear E4 is disease resistant, for me CC is spotless. I’ve heard of production issues with CC?  Last year yielded in teens but this year I only have two mangos...think I pruned it too much last year and it’s mad at me and skipped this year 😒

Joe

Joe, I have an E4(sugarloaf) in full sun. Water daily In early morning. It was a 3 gallon. Planted in ground 1 year ago. All I did was tip main stem one time. It is now 6 ft tall, it has a very upright growth pattern, supports its self well and the trunk has become 3 times as thick. It has small, light green
Leaves and it’s a pretty tree. It didn’t flower this year.

My CC was also 3  gallon, it’s now in a 15 gallon and the trunk is still almost as thin as it was, the branches are very droppy, but it had decent  foliar growth. The leaves are also light green but very large.

Don’t laugh but I still haven’t tried either one. The CC won’t
Go in ground until I try it and LOVE it.

Good luck,

Capt. Abie Raymond
Biscayne Park, Fl

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 08:23:56 AM »
E4/Sugarloaf. In ground from 3 gal about a year.

M4. In ground from 3 gal less than a year. Just starting to push growth.

Coco Cream. In ground couple of years. 2nd year fruiting. Hard to see with the jungle around. It is a bit spindly, but getting better shape as it ages.

...m4 too small for fruit, but recall I tried a few last year from Alex. They were delicious, fat and juicy. Very different from CC.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:26:06 AM by roblack »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 08:31:59 AM »
 8)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 12:40:59 PM by johnb51 »
John

MangoPopper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 08:44:15 AM »
Oolie,

I’m curious which mangos are in Har’s approval list?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 08:48:06 AM »
Oolie,

I’m curious which mangos are in Har’s approval list?
M-4 is in his Supremely Delicious group, but he can comment on the others.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:53:41 AM by johnb51 »
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »
My E4 “Sugarloaf “ in ground 1 year I think
It’s a beautiful front yard tree with mango-thief-deceiving green mangos.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 09:57:55 AM »
That tree looks great, Abe!
John

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 10:33:06 AM »
Love Coconut Cream. Heard M4 flavor is superior.
What about production and disease resistance?
Any advice on making the best choice?

Try before you buy. your close enough to go tropical acres or truly tropical and compare both varieties.  Get the one you like the taste of the most, every thing else between the two is second to your love of the fruit.  you can always learn to graft and change your mind later as well but coconut cream does reportedly have a week point in the graft union that can cause your tree to snap off at the graft point and leave you with a very low to the ground stump for grafting back on to.  that being said, I have both and love both. coconut cream is slow to get producing in any quantity but well worth the struggle.   

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »
Please do not put my name on any of Zill's mango varieties--- that could cause offense.  You could suggest some other name to management at Zill High Performance Plants--- they have accepted several suggestions in the past.  But don't just go naming it out there yourself.  Make your own new variety, and then you may name it.

I don't notice any similarity in the flavors of M-4 and Coconut Cream, and they don't ripen at the same time of year, so there is no redundancy.

M-4 is way more productive (sometimes every other year), and has smallish, greenish fruits;  it is less likely to be pilfered.
Har

MangoPopper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
Thanks to the person who advised against grafting CC b/c of weakness.  Will keep that in mind. 
Also good to know M4 stays green.  That would be a plus for front yard planting!

Is one stronger as far as disease resistance, or are they pretty close?

I have gotten conflicting stories in the past and that is why I am trying to clear it up on here.

Thanks!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
I haven't noticed any big susceptibility-to-disease issue with either one.
Har

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »
Please do not put my name on any of Zill's mango varieties--- that could cause offense.  You could suggest some other name to management at Zill High Performance Plants--- they have accepted several suggestions in the past.  But don't just go naming it out there yourself.  Make your own new variety, and then you may name it.

I don't notice any similarity in the flavors of M-4 and Coconut Cream, and they don't ripen at the same time of year, so there is no redundancy.

M-4 is way more productive (sometimes every other year), and has smallish, greenish fruits;  it is less likely to be pilfered.

I wonder if Oolie will finally listen to you.